3VZFE Playing Up

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Justin

3VZFE Playing Up

Post by Gleshlich »

As some of you may know, I have recently bought a 3VZ SW20.

Wanting a bit of help of a couple problems

1. The ACIS appears to be permanently closed. There is no torque down low at all until 5k RPM where there is a huge torque shove.
2. The cold start fast idle has stopped working after I took the car into the car wash yesterday.

Anyone able to give tips or help? Located Chch

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Phill

Re: 3VZFE Playing Up

Post by GDII »

The ACIS is controlled by throttle position and RPM in the ECU. Physically it is controlled by a vacuum switching valve, a vacuum hose and a vacuum diaphragm. If any one of those is broken or not connected the ACIS won't work as it is meant to.

It's hard to see it working when the car has no load on the engine due to the parameters set in the ECU. The ACIS should be open at low RPM ie idle to produce a longer runner length and close at higher RPM to create a shorter runner.

I've never looked at the ACIS valve and actuator on my 3SGE to see what happens when the engine is started, I think it is supposed to be open when the car starts and closes when the ECU senses the right conditions. When the car is off, the 3SGE has the ACIS butterflies open like this.

I guess the vacuum created by the high RPM will allow it to shut when the VSV is activated.

As for cold idle, 3 wires control that. Or the valve is dirty and just decided to stop working properly.
I had this problem and it fixed it properly. Valve is to the left, coolant passed through the section on the right.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Is ACIS the same as a IACV?
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Gleshlich »

Just heard back from the previous owner.

The butterflies were removed when the head porting and polishing was done along with the rebuild. He was planning on fitting a supercharger but ran out of money before the repo company came along.

I'll try some carb cleaner in the intake and see if it fixes things. Bit too cold to take parts off in Christchurch right now

GDII

Post by GDII »

Benckj wrote:Is ACIS the same as a IACV?
Nope, completely different. IACV is Idle Air Control Valve as you know and ACIS is Acoustic Control Intake System. It uses butterflies in the 3SGE or a single butterfly in the 3VZ to adjust in acoustics of the intake affectively increasing or decreasing the intake lengths dependant on RPM. 2 unrelated systems.

EDIT: This link explains the system and the difference between T-VIS. http://turbomr2.com/MR2/Reference/TVIS/TVIS.htm
Last edited by GDII on Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GDII

Post by GDII »

Gleshlich wrote:Just heard back from the previous owner.

The butterflies were removed when the head porting and polishing was done along with the rebuild. He was planning on fitting a supercharger but ran out of money before the repo company came along.

I'll try some carb cleaner in the intake and see if it fixes things. Bit too cold to take parts off in Christchurch right now
That explains why it isn't working, no butterfly, no ACIS.

Best to take off the throttle body and remove the idle valve to clean it. You'll struggle to get it properly clean with just carb clean being sprayed into the intake pipe.

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Got it. Really need to pull IACV to clean and adust. They can be a common problem due to moisture and soot build up internally. Best to clean on bench and test - set up TPS
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Gleshlich »

Haven't had any luck with the cold start. Snapped a shift cable so ideally need to fix that first

I'm trying to get another intake manifold with a butterfly so I can ACIS. Its kind of ruined the motor without it

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Gleshlich »

Climate control has started only working on Auto or high. Is this a resistor or something?

All the vacuum plumbing on my car is in the wrong place. Will try get it to match the Camry I got
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

GDII

Post by GDII »

What do you mean by Auto and High? Does the switch only operate the fan when turned to Auto and High and not low or medium?

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Gleshlich »

GDII wrote:What do you mean by Auto and High? Does the switch only operate the fan when turned to Auto and High and not low or medium?
Correct. I feel like I should get this shifted to the Rides section. Should I make a new thread or get an admin to do it? The cold start decided to start working again out of the blue. Weird.

Waiting on weather to get better so I can strip parts out of the Camry and fix all the vac hoses.
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

.... I feel like I should get this shifted to the Rides section. Should I make a new thread or get an admin to do it?....
It's not really a Rides topic as you started by asking for help with the engine playing up. Probably best to leave this thread here and start another thread to report on the project as a whole. Can always provide a link to this thread for reference.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car