Joels MR2s

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Joel
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Joel

Joels MR2s

Post by Joel »

Figured it was time for a little post about my MR2s past and present.
I first joined the club way back in 95-96. I was a kid at the time!
I got hooked on MR2s via my Dad who always liked them and he finally got a mint AW around 1994, that we still own today.

I’m now onto my 6th MR2.
Here is a brief history of cars past and present:

1988 AW11 NA
My First MR2. Had super-rare rear skirt that I wish I had kept..
Put some 17” Nippon Racing wheels on it. This car got stolen and was stripped of everything, eventually got recovered and I got it back up to scratch but it never felt the same to me so I ended up selling it to a fellow club member (Paul Green). Last I saw it was in Ngaruwahia years ago.

1999 ZZW DGF891
Moved to Melbourne for a couple of years and bought this when I returned.
Didn’t do much to his other than lowering it and adding the front lip.
Sold it after awhile because being our only car it was not very practical. – ended up getting another AW11 because having a boot = more practical.

1987 AW11 SC FQR942
AW number II. I purchased this sight unseen from Napier – went down and drove it back to Auckland with no problems.
Took it to my mechanic to give it a thorough service and got it up to scratch.
Installed new lowering springs, 15x8 Axis wheels, full prothane bush kit and an Aerotech lip.
Sold this one to help fund house renovations – money didn’t go very far..

1992 Gen II SW20 NA FTB950
After getting by with one car between my wife and I it was time for a second, so naturally I looked for an MR2.
No decent AWs were up sale – they never are when you’re looking.
Figured I would give an SW a try, I’d never been a big fan of the SW.
This was a Gen II, NA Auto so that didn’t help, it would be a different story if it was a Turbo or Gen V..
I didn’t own this for long, was the first and only time I spun out in an MR2 as well – I mostly put that down to average tyres.

1987 AW11 SC RP6919
This is my dads car but we share ownership and expenses. It didn’t get used for awhile so I proposed going halves in the maintenance costs to keep it up to standard.
The car was imported to NZ from Japan in 1992 and bought by an old fulla for $23,995 (I still have the ad from Auto Trader magazine).
Dad bought in 1994 for $10k. It had 23k on it when he bought it and today still only has around 59k.
It is in immaculate condition. The only modifications it has is an overboost pulley and Bridgestone Potenza RE01 tyres.
Because of the condition we will keep it factory standard. It still has all the original accessories and options like Cruise control, Boot liner, targa top bags and all that kind of stuff.

It is an Auto but due to the amazing condition the car is in that doesn’t bother me. As far as auto gearboxes go the AW one is not a bad one at all.
The plan is to simply keep enjoying it. Its very unlikely that it will ever be for sale.

Joel
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Re: Joels MR2s

Post by Joel »

1999 ZZW FMP551
This is my current daily driver.
I know the MR-S isn’t that popular here, but I’ve been doing a few minor tweaks so figured I would start a thread to keep a record.
I’m not particularly mechanical so my work is mainly cosmetic. That is not to say I neglect the mechanical side of things – I just don’t do any of that myself.
It is currently waiting on an engine replacement. I think that is down to the previous owner being slack with maintenance.
My budget and skill level doesn’t allow a 2ZZ so will just be putting in another 1ZZ. There aren’t any decent ones for sale here so am importing one from Japan.

Car came with pink wheels so dealt with that quickly:

Got some clear side markers:

Time for some new wheels. Rota Grid V 16x8. Picked up the wheels and tyres for a good price - tyres not the right size so traded them in for some Nexen SU1 195/45 Front and 215/40 Rear

Made some custom centre caps:

PAINT HEAT SHIELD:

Fitted new strut brace:

Removed all the rusty bolts and changed for new stainless one:

Repainted read bumper and spoiler:

Painted cam cover for the new engine:

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Post by Statek »

Very nice Joel. There's some very tidy Mr2s in your history!
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

flying_wedge
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Mark

Post by flying_wedge »

Nice 8)
I've always wondered about an MRS myself... one day it would be nice to have my AW and a hardtop ZZW .... both with 2zz's.

You seem to be proof that once you've gone MR2 it's hard to move on :lol:

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Beautiful AW11s you had. I really like the grey one.

The top of your new engine looks great. It's amazing what a decent coat of paint can do.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

I hadn't realised that your Dad's AW is basically the same as my white one. An 87 auto SC complete with covers for the lids and cruise control. Only difference is your Dad's one has done WAY less km's and I can vouch for its insanely immaculate condition. :mrgreen:

I reckon the AW's auto box, when on a Supercharger with its torque, is one of the best auto boxes I've ever driven in any car. Beats a tip-tronic hands down in my estimation, especially if you use in in Manual mode. :twisted:

And I'll say this again - the wing you have on the back of your ZZW is by far the best kind of wing I've seen on one and totally transforms the appearance of the car. I like it a lot. Whereas without it the ZZW looks too much like a push-me-pull-u, a Boxster, the same both ends. That wing really makes that car in my books mate. 8)

Nice to see this thread Joel. Looking forward to seeing you on some runs again mate.
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Joel
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Joel »

flying_wedge wrote:Nice 8)
I've always wondered about an MRS myself... one day it would be nice to have my AW and a hardtop ZZW .... both with 2zz's.

You seem to be proof that once you've gone MR2 it's hard to move on :lol:
That would be a nice combo for sure.

I have had a few other cars in between but always find my self coming back to the 2!

Joel
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Joel »

mickeyduck wrote:I hadn't realised that your Dad's AW is basically the same as my white one. An 87 auto SC complete with covers for the lids and cruise control. Only difference is your Dad's one has done WAY less km's and I can vouch for its insanely immaculate condition. :mrgreen:

I reckon the AW's auto box, when on a Supercharger with its torque, is one of the best auto boxes I've ever driven in any car. Beats a tip-tronic hands down in my estimation, especially if you use in in Manual mode. :twisted:

And I'll say this again - the wing you have on the back of your ZZW is by far the best kind of wing I've seen on one and totally transforms the appearance of the car. I like it a lot. Whereas without it the ZZW looks too much like a push-me-pull-u, a Boxster, the same both ends. That wing really makes that car in my books mate. 8)

Nice to see this thread Joel. Looking forward to seeing you on some runs again mate.
Yeah its quite interesting having a full-fat AW11 with all the heavy options (T-Top, A/C, Cruise control, Auto etc) - a real product of the 80s, especially with the two-tone paint scheme.

I agree with you about the auto box, and the MR-S spoiler :)

Will be on another run for sure when the new engine is sorted.

Joel
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Joel »

Been drawing this up over the past couple of weeks, got it framed and hanging in my lounge now.

Even got the MR2 Club sticker and Braes Illustrious Detailing sticker
Last edited by Joel on Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Justin

Post by Gleshlich »

Are you in charge of HIVE posters?!! I've always wanted to get one
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

Joel
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Joel »

Gleshlich wrote:Are you in charge of HIVE posters?!! I've always wanted to get one
Yep, thats me

You should get one :D

Mr Shiny
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Brae

Post by Mr Shiny »

Sweet! Saw your MR-S parked up on Sunday, you must have got there early! Only saw yours, mine and a very mint AW.
“If you think the professionals are expensive, you should see what the amateurs can cost you.”

Joel
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Joel »

Mr Shiny wrote:Sweet! Saw your MR-S parked up on Sunday, you must have got there early! Only saw yours, mine and a very mint AW.
Nah I got there right on 10 and I think someone must've left so I got that prime spot!
Was a decent turn-out, that AW11 was my dads.

TNR
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: TNR

Post by TNR »

Nice cars, they all seem very nice. The MR-S with Rota Grids looks amazing, it seems super agile and fun just sitting still.

By the way, do you remember what lowering springs you put on your 2nd AW with the 15" wheels, and would you recommend them?
I'm looking for a set of springs for better handling but don't want a slammed look, just a moderate drop.

Joel
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Joel »

TNR wrote:Nice cars, they all seem very nice. The MR-S with Rota Grids looks amazing, it seems super agile and fun just sitting still.

By the way, do you remember what lowering springs you put on your 2nd AW with the 15" wheels, and would you recommend them?
I'm looking for a set of springs for better handling but don't want a slammed look, just a moderate drop.
From memory I am pretty sure they were Cobra Springs (http://cobrasprings.co.nz/catalogue/toyota/mr-2/2595) There is a dealer on TradeMe that sells them.
I can only compare them to stock. They were ok, they're on the budget end of the scale so you can definitely get better ones.

They were pretty cheap and gave a decent drop in ride height but nothing too crazy for a daily driver.

Cheers