bigger brakes for the front.

An area for technical topics concerning AW10's and AW11's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning AW10's and AW11's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Re: bigger brakes for the front.

Post by Statek »

I think this post just made my life a lot easier.
$10 for a set of four from aliexpress. If they don't work, I wont feel bad about it. Thanks guys 8)
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

zrossa
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Hawkes Bay
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Douglas

Post by zrossa »

Are you going to order some Statek? I would be ken as well If your putting something together. I will flick you my details on P.M.

Cheers,

Douglas

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Statek »

Hey Douglas

I ordered these:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4pieces ... 0.0.1xHUb6

The shipping on them is free, so if we were to order 2 sets, then we'd have to post to Hawkes Bay... Best if you order with shipping directly to you :wink:
Not sure how much of a rush you are, but as soon as I receive mine (13-24 days) I'll post my thoughts and/or fitting woes on here.

flying_wedge
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Mark

Post by flying_wedge »

Keen to know too Kris 8)

zrossa
Guest of the Club.

Post by zrossa »

I hope they work. There are concerns with different rates of expansion and so forth but at that price its a no brainer giving them a go. I might see if i can get some that will go from the 60.1 to my mag size while I am at it.

Nice work Kris...will have an attempt at ordering some in the morning....when the wine has worn off!

Cheers,

D

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Statek »

So they've arrived a couple of days ago, but with catching a cold and procrastination level = max, I haven't quite finished.

The rings themselves look good quality and measurements are perfect:
AW Hub 1.jpg
AW Hub 1.jpg (92.78 KiB) Viewed 3943 times
The ring is slightly smaller than the rotor due to the taper on the rotor, but it definitely helps centre the rotor well. The trouble with the rings is that they protrude too far and need to be trimmed a bit, so with the tools I had on hand I've managed to do it.
AW Hub 2.jpg
AW Hub 2.jpg (78.34 KiB) Viewed 3943 times
AW Hub 3.jpg
AW Hub 3.jpg (71.3 KiB) Viewed 3943 times
Now I just have to put the lot together - the car is on jack stands with one side stripped apart at the moment. I will probably finish off before the weekend, but currently have other things on my to-do list with higher priorities.

zrossa
Guest of the Club.

Post by zrossa »

Cool. Mine arrived today. Haven't picked up the calipers yet and I figure I might as well get the disks new. I suspect things might slow down on the mr2. Need to get suck into the new shed, 260z and 635csi.....You know...finish something before you start another project!

Cheers,

D

pbaron
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Pierre

Post by pbaron »

These are not for centering the rotors, they are for centering the wheels, do not place the rotor on over the top of the centric rings.
Statek wrote:So they've arrived a couple of days ago, but with catching a cold and procrastination level = max, I haven't quite finished.

The rings themselves look good quality and measurements are perfect:
AW Hub 1.jpg
The ring is slightly smaller than the rotor due to the taper on the rotor, but it definitely helps centre the rotor well. The trouble with the rings is that they protrude too far and need to be trimmed a bit, so with the tools I had on hand I've managed to do it.
AW Hub 2.jpg
AW Hub 3.jpg
Now I just have to put the lot together - the car is on jack stands with one side stripped apart at the moment. I will probably finish off before the weekend, but currently have other things on my to-do list with higher priorities.
SW20 project car

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

pbaron wrote:These are not for centering the rotors, they are for centering the wheels, do not place the rotor on over the top of the centric rings.
Question is: Is the rims centre hole the size of the ring or the size of the hub?
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Statek »

pbaron wrote:These are not for centering the rotors, they are for centering the wheels, do not place the rotor on over the top of the centric rings.
These were purchased to centre the rotors. Originally when Malcolm had used the Renault disks, he chopped up the original AW rotors to fit between the hub centre and the rotor centre hole.
See the first 2 posts here: http://forums.toyspeed.org.nz/viewtopic ... 99&start=7

The reason I have made the aluminium centre rings shorter is so that they don't protrude further than the disk, and the wheel centre rings can be used properly.
JasonFriday13 wrote:Question is: Is the rims centre hole the size of the ring or the size of the hub?
The centre hole on the wheels I'm using right now is 68mm (from memory), so I also have centering rings in those (68mm to 51mm).

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Statek wrote:The centre hole on the wheels I'm using right now is 68mm (from memory), so I also have centering rings in those (68mm to 51mm).
Yeah I thought that was the case, I was just clarifying what the final setup was like in the form of a question. 8) .
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Statek »

JasonFriday13 wrote:Yeah I thought that was the case, I was just clarifying what the final setup was like in the form of a question. 8) .
8)

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Statek »

Successfully installed as of this morning. Even made it to work without dying.

Success!

zrossa
Guest of the Club.

Post by zrossa »

Wicked. Glad it worked.
Where do you think the best place to get disks is?