Help with my next project car with a twist

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
ToyoNZ
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: colin

Help with my next project car with a twist

Post by ToyoNZ »

Hello

My next project is a bit of a challenge. It’s to build a bladeless turbine powered SW20 MR2 which I want to enter into the medium car section of the Auckland to Wellington and back to Auckland Economy Run, October 2011. visit http://www.aa.co.nz/about/events/AAener ... fault.aspx .
I was looking for club members throughout New Zealand who would be interested in helping with this project. Making it more fuel efficient will be a bit different from just making it go faster (but it still should). I have a manual SW20 car, wide body fiberglass kit, SC12 supercharger, intercooler, Toyo racing wheels, E153 gearbox (in bits), a big barn with a hoist and plenty of tools. So if anyone is interested in being involved with this project, drop me an email with your contact details. My email address is [email protected].

Cheers
Colin :roll:
Last edited by ToyoNZ on Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lucas
Guest of the Club.
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Lucas

Re: Help with my next project car with a twist

Post by Lucas »

what sort of stuff do you want a hand with?

im sure i can offer you some of my spare time in the weekends :D
Workshop Controller Northshore Toyota and Lexus of Northshore
Lexus Certified Diagnostic Technician
MR2OCNZ Technical Moderator

ToyoNZ
Guest of the Club.

Post by ToyoNZ »

Thanks Lucas. Email me your contact details. My email address is at the top of the thread.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

Hey Colin is that your candy-stripe SW you're talking about mate? :shock: Might have to repaint it... green...!
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Sinturion
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Alex

Post by Sinturion »

Sounds like an interesting project.

Any particular reason as to why you're going for a V6? wouldn't a small 4-banger suit better for this application?
AW11 - 2GRFE powered

ToyoNZ
Guest of the Club.

Post by ToyoNZ »

Hello Mickey. No its not the striped MR2. I have another Sw20 MR2 in the barn. I was thinking of painting it kermit green with two yellow/gold stripes. What do you think?

ToyoNZ
Guest of the Club.

Post by ToyoNZ »

Hello Sinturion
The reason for the V6 bullshit is to get people interested in the project. If I had off said at the start I wanted to use a bladeless turbine, no one would be interested. So this thread is really only here to prove a point. No one likes change, and the thought of no broom broom out of the exhaust turns people right off.
Well $2.50 per litre for petrol might change peoples attitudes.
Last edited by ToyoNZ on Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToyoNZ
Guest of the Club.

Post by ToyoNZ »

Multi spark ignition has arrived :D . Will need to order the PLC items required for the purpose built and programed ECU :wink: ECU controlled, independently variable force induction components allready in the barn. :mrgreen:

Roman
Guest of the Club.

Post by Roman »

For economy runs, the important part of any engine is 'brake specific fuel consumption' or BSFC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_spec ... onsumption

At a particular rpm and load scenario, an engine will burn fuel more or less efficiently, as in, make more power for less fuel.

For economy, power and torque at wide open throttle is irrelevant, you want minimal pumping losses and good BSFC at low rpms and low load.

A higher displacement engine has higher pumping losses, but hopefully you'll be able to keep the RPMs a lot lower...

But it'll mean you'll need a gearbox with ratios to suit, or fit really big rolling circumference wheels/tires to acheive the same thing.

I reckon a modern 2 litre or less VVTI / VVTLI 4 cyl engine would be the best pick, and stripping the ever living shizzle out of your car to make it as light as possible, low air resistance will be key as well, wide body wont help.

VVTI engines which can adjust the dynamic compression ratio to suit the amount of load have a better BSFC under partial and light throttle conditions.

Since the Toyota Camry etc which had the V6 had more than 1 engine, I'd look at the efficiency rating for each vehicle to determine which is likely to actually offer the best economy.

Perhaps you could supercharge a VVTI engine, something like a 2AZFE and change the timing to make it work as a miller cycle engine, that would be pretty cool

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller_cycle

Your project sounds great, supercharged 1MZFE widebody SW20 would be awesome, just not entirely convinced it would be the most economical car in the world. :shock:

Gerrit Olivier
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Gerrit

Post by Gerrit Olivier »

sounds good mate, i may be keen to give a hand when abled to even when my time is limited.

I have a 3vzfe in mine and just bought a body kit and need repainting. but i would be keen to have a look at what you are doing, while lending a hand. =p

021 135 85 48
Gerrit is the name-o
man who runs infront of car gets tired, man who runs behind car is exhausted,

ToyoNZ
Guest of the Club.

Post by ToyoNZ »

I had a very detailed conversation with Lucas yesterday on the vineyard fun run. The 1MZ-FE may not be the best choose in its present form, but by the time were finished with the mods to the engine it should work well. The 1MZ-FE has some design features that will work well with the mods. As I told Lucas the mods include a bit of weird science that has not been tried before. If your keen to lend a hand or support in any shape or form, please email me your contact details as we will be having a get together before the end of the year. My email is [email protected] .

Lucas
Guest of the Club.
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Lucas

Post by Lucas »

im looking forward to seeing this in action.

just to clear things up a little for people, the goal here is fuel efficiency - not economy.
Workshop Controller Northshore Toyota and Lexus of Northshore
Lexus Certified Diagnostic Technician
MR2OCNZ Technical Moderator

Roman
Guest of the Club.

Post by Roman »

Efficiency and economy are the same thing

EssDub
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Outside of New Zealand
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Graham

Post by EssDub »

Depends on how you define 'efficiency'?

Power per L of gas?

km/L?

etc etc etc...
---------------------------------------
'92 Red Gen 2 GT-S - Getting there... - 168.2kW@ 6500RPM (1bar CT20b)
'90 Red Gen 1 G-Limited (Minter for the missus :) ) - Gen3 3S-GE powered and goin' strong :D
'xx Gen x SW20...Watch this space...
'02 CL9 Honda Accord Euro Touring (K24A4)
---------------------------------------

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

ToyoNZ wrote:Hello Mickey. No its not the striped MR2. I have another Sw20 MR2 in the barn. I was thinking of painting it kermit green with two yellow/gold stripes. What do you think?
I still think green with red stripes Colin, to play havoc on people's eyes mate... :shock:

Actually green and gold would look pretty cool...
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted: