GDII's 1990 G-Limited

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Jason

Re: GDII's 1990 G-Limited

Post by JasonFriday13 »

GDII wrote:
JasonFriday13 wrote:Very nice, they look great. Pity I don't have a targa top to make use of them :lol:.
You can't have them! We could swap cars, then you could have them. :lol: 8)
If we did swap, you would be getting a bargain :P . But nah, I've spent too much money and time on it to let it leave my ownership.

I wonder how cost effective it would be to make a small run of these to sell? I doubt there will be much demand for them, as I didn't break any on my old targa top turbo.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Yes I probably would. A low ks GEN 3 turbo vs a super smokey high ks GEN 2 NA. How does 1 litre of oil consumption per 300km sound?

These took a while to make as they were a brand new design. Setting up a jig to drill and bend the clips then weld is the best way to make a small run of them. They are cut out using a water jet so that cost would be included.
I didn't think there would be a big demand for them so I only got them made for me. Although he did make 6 haha. They are also quite heavy compared to the plastic but far stronger. They will never break with the way they get used. I broke mine on the plastic lip of the floor box behind the drivers seat when I dropped it. They do get hit by the sun through the glass. Could 3D print some but I thought stainless was way cooler.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

GDII

Post by GDII »

Here's a question for suspension people.

I currently have stock 1990 springs which are higher than 93+ springs. Would there be any advantage getting a set of 93+ springs? They are a bit lower (10mm?) so would improve the look of the car somewhat. Would it have any handling upgrade at all? I currently have the updated rear cross member and Bilstein Blacks. If I upgrade the springs the only bit left from thing unique to the 1990 suspension would be the adjustable castor arms.

Obviously going with lowering springs would improve the handling far more but some springs like the RS*R ones I had where just a bit too low. 38mm in the front was just a bit much.
Still only a road car, yet to put it on the track.

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

If it lowers the car it'll have a lower center of gravity. So handling will improve.
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

10mm isn't enough to see a handling improvement. On a racecar, yes it will. On a road car, probably not.

I just looked up what my springs drop height is (B&G S2 Sport), turns out it's 38mm. But can't be true as my car doesn't sit that low. They are on the earlier gen 1 struts, ride height wise I don't know if that makes much of a difference to the gen 2 bilsteins. Perhaps the stiffer KYB AGX's I have raise the ride height 10mm, who knows?

http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?t=10599&start=17

Some options for 25mm drop:
Eibach (shipping is a killer, $650 shipped):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EIBACH-PRO-KIT- ... a9&vxp=mtr

Tanabe ($440 shipped):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TANABE-GF210-LO ... 4c&vxp=mtr

30mm drop:
Apex ($400 shipped):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-MR2-Mk2- ... 43acdfe490
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

GDII

Post by GDII »

New springs could work out. Eibach is what I would choose to get the height I want, Just a cost decision haha.

More progress. Fully repainted stock 15" wheels.

I also washed the car again. Covered in dust from just sitting around waiting for mods and upgrades.

It doesn't really look much different from when I bought it back in 2008. The only thing obvious is the colour of the front lip.

And with the BBS wheels that have been on it for most of the time I've owned the car.

Giving it death in a hillclimb.

rocco26
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: brian

Post by rocco26 »

Nice photos, Phil!

GDII

Post by GDII »

Thanks Brian

No updates for a while, that's because I have been doing some major surgery on the engine.
Short story, cam belt, water pump, oil pump seals and finally valve seals. Long story, read on.

Started by pulling off the front engine mount and cam belt covers. This involves removing a lot of stuff just to get to the belt. Engine mount has to come off but to get the mount off you need to take the crank pulley off and both cam belt covers.
Hmmm that's one cracked cam belt. No idea how old this is.

Engine mount getting stuck.

Top of the intake manifold. Bagged and tagged all my bolts and parts to ensure nothing went missing.

Removed the water pump and replaced. New oil pump seals and O-ring. The shaft seal was leaking leaving oil drips on the garage floor. It wasn't bad but it was making a mess of the lower half of the engine.

Dirty lower engine from leaking oil pump.

Inside oil pump

Next was to remove the valve cover to replace the valve seals. This involves removing the wiring loom from the front of the engine and unplugging the injectors. While I had everything off I decided to clean things up and paint some parts.

Dirty valve cover

Painted top runners

Painted valve cover

Painted cam cover plate

After the valve cover was off I could remove the cam shafts.

Then next I had to remove the old valve seals and replace them with new ones without lifting the head. This was a difficult job with the engine in the car.
Tools I used were:
13/16 spark plug socket with a magnet in it.
Large pliers to push the valve spring retainer down.
Some grease to hold the valve collets in while reinstalling the springs.
Bent nose pliers with masking tape so not to scratch the bucket guides.
10mm deep socket for reinstalling the new valve seals.
19mm socket, 150mm extension and slide bar to reinstall valve collets and spring retainers.
Last but most important, some standard printer paper folder over about 6 times. This allows the collets to be pushed in when you push the 19mm socket over the spring retainers.
For all this I also needed an air compressor adapter to fill the cylinders with air to hold the valves up while the springs were removed and the collets were being reinstalled.
I got my brother to make we one from a BKR6E spark plug, 150mm long stainless steel tube and an ARO air compressor fitting. When I got the adapter I realised the air compressor I borrowed from MR2PWR (Dixon) had NITTO fittings. So I had to get the adapter modified to the correct fitting. *88vvt (Colin) offered to modify this for me. Once that was done I could start on the valve seal replacement.
It took me 1 hour to do the first seal because I couldn't figure out how to use the paper method to reinstall the collets. I did the last 5 in 50mins even though these valves are harder to get at being in the middle of the car.

Cotton wool to stop and collets going into the sump. I didn't need them luckily but I did manage to ahve a couple of collets fly around the garage.

New valve seal installed

Valve spring

Collets all greased up to stay in retainer and valve bucket

Shot down No.2 intake

Keeping the cam cap bolts in order.

Tools I used to do the valve seal replacement,

New cam shaft seals, old ones were leaking.

New idler bearing No.1

New tensioner bearing

Once I had done that I could start putting the engine back together. JasonFriday13 (Jason) offered to give me a hand to do this. I hadn't done a cam belt on a twin cam engine before so his knowledge was very useful to get the timing set right.
We put everything back on the engine ready to be filled with new coolant, oil and filter and new plugs but as I was starting to fill the engine with coolant there was a major leak. This is why, rusty pipe into the back of the water pump wouldn't seal. I wonder why?..... :roll:

'New' on left, leaky rust thing on right.

New water pump

Luckily I had bought a good condition pipe of Tat and Nick about 3 years ago. So this went on to the engine but not after having to take off a lot of the parts off the back of the engine. Hardest part was getting the oil cooler pipes off. I assume this is no where near as hard as the turbo engines HFH and HFHOE. Once this was in I filled it up with coolant and there were no more leaks.

Oil cooler hoses under exhaust manifold.

Bled the coolant with help from Jason after starting the engine. No leaks from oil or water except for the bleed valve on the radiator. Needed a new o-ring so we bought a new one and that sorted it.

Drove it up the road but it still has a bit of smoke. I'm putting some down to the oil left on the pistons and under the valve seals. I'm not expecting it to fix the oil burning problem completely but I do hope it helps reduce it.

Very happy the engine still runs after I pulled it apart. I have never done this sort of major work before.
Car is out of the garage and on all 4 wheels for the first time in 4 weeks.
Engine back together and clean

While I had the engine parts off I installed my Kirk engine mount inserts the the Wife bought me for my birthday. They definitely firm up the engine and have a bit more vibration at idle and are quite rough on start up but work really well. When you are on and off the clutch the engine no longer jerks around, you just get instant response from the clutch. Much better.
Turbo mount inserts, I bought some turbo mounts from Jason to replace the broken and poorly designed front and rear mounts.
Inserted read to go in.
One insert in

Both inserts in. Very easy to install. Just need a gentle tap from a hammer to make sure the are placed properly
so the centre through bolt can be installed easier.

Installed into car. Easy with no intake manifold on.

MR2 boot makes a good work bench.

Random photo of parts
Dirty intake manifold.

Cleaner intake manifold

Cleaned up cam belt covers

*84vvt
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Colin

Re: GDII's 1990 G-Limited *Major engine surgery and photo dump*

Post by *84vvt »

Looks like a job well done
O for a 2 car garage @ my place :-(
Boosted cars are like hot women.
A little edgy, every guy wants one,
some guys can't handle them,
and if you throw a little alcohol in them they'll rock your world.

spyderballer
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Hayden

Post by spyderballer »

Neat write up. Had a good chuckle about how you changed the valve seals. That's a neat old school trick that isn't common knowledge. Most people pull the head off :twisted:

GDII

Post by GDII »

*84vvt wrote:Looks like a job well done
O for a 2 car garage @ my place :-(
2 cars wide or 2 cars long? :lol:
spyderballer wrote:Neat write up. Had a good chuckle about how you changed the valve seals. That's a neat old school trick that isn't common knowledge. Most people pull the head off :twisted:
Taking the head off is over rated. Air compressor is where it's at. Sticking rope in the cylinder sounds like a dumb idea so this was my only option. Much cheaper than opening the engine up.
Using paper sounds like a really odd thing to do too but cheaper than buying a valve collet remover/installer tool. Although takes far longer.

I'm hoping after all this work the oil burning issue reduces. Need to take it for a longer drive to see if it was just the left over oil getting burnt or it hasn't done anything. It was a good experience and something new to learn so not all a waste if it hasn't worked.

GDII

Post by GDII »

Took it for a WOF this morning. Passed with no issues. You'd hope so after only travelling 620km since the last one in December. Still smokes like it used too so it must be rings. A catch can might help but that's sort of unrelated. Will just keep driving it. Until I can get another engine I'll focus on suspension mods first.

GDII

Post by GDII »

After the failed attempt to slow the oil burning I have decided to get another engine as a temporary replacement. I helped pbaron yesterday drop the GEN2 NA out of his car so he could replace it with something a bit more powerful. This engine is in better condition internally than mine so I'll just drop it straight in and get my car back on the road and usable. This will allow me to use my suspension mods while I save for a turbo setup. Things are looking up for this car again.

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Hope you manage to pull off all those new parts and swap over onto engine. Are you going to replace valve seals?
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

GDII

Post by GDII »

I would like to but not sure how to remove the crank seal without damaging it. Although not too expensive to buy a new one. The other seals are easier to remove without damage.
I'll have both engines out and spend some time swapping the bits over including the loom. Will clean things up too.
I will get a new clutch disc at a minimum as it shudders with the clutch in when coming to a stop.
Need to swap the flywheel over from my engine as the replacement engine no longer has one.

As for valve seals, might do that too. pbaron has one of those valve retainer removal tools that I can borrow. Wish I knew he had that before I did the seals last time....
But this engine is in good enough condition to not need anything done to it like that. I just need it to run without drinking oil and leaving smoke trails everywhere.
Less oil use, more money for turbo engine.