GDII's 1990 G-Limited

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Re: GDII's 1990 G-Limited

Post by mickeyduck »

I think you'll like the handling improvement if you fit Potenza RE003 all around Phill.

Tyres are a huge factor when it comes to handling. If you really think about what they do, and things like sidewall flex, tread squirm or the ability of a compound to give similar grip levels in a wide variety of temperatures and on wet or dry surfaces... No surprises that tyres likely make the single biggest difference to your car's handling.

You can have the most shit-hot suspension setup there is but if the tyres are B-grade it'll still slide off the road when you don't want it to... Conversely you can have a totally bog-standard suspension setup but with really good tyres you might find you can out-corner or out-brake most other things on the road. :wink:
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Apart from tyre selection one of the greatest factors most people ignore is tyre pressure. Easy to set and forget only to find some time down the track (no pun intended) one tyre has lost 5-10psi. A couple of psi makes a huge difference to sidewall flex and traction. Amazing how each tyre will respond to track runs especially when going around in a counter clock-wise fashion the RF takes most of the beating.

I've promoted a TPMS before but for most MR2 owners $170 was too much to spend on a system to monitor each tyre pressure with temps, real time. Has saved me a couple times already. Can easily move around cars if you only want one monitor. Great for the wife/kids to keep track of their tyres!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TYREDOG ... 825a412c81

There are other systems which do the same job for less than 1/2 the cost of a Tyredog. I have found the sensors don't seal as well and have a reliability issue. For less than $100 can even get a system which uses your smart phone to gather and display data.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

Benckj wrote:Apart from tyre selection one of the greatest factors most people ignore is tyre pressure. Easy to set and forget only to find some time down the track (no pun intended) one tyre has lost 5-10psi. A couple of psi makes a huge difference to sidewall flex and traction. Amazing how each tyre will respond to track runs especially when going around in a counter clock-wise fashion the RF takes most of the beating.
Easiest way is just every time you fill up or before a long drive

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

To be fair most people do not do this. I once had a slow leak and my wife took car out for a short 20km drive and ended up shreading a $400 tyre. Low profile type tyres are hard to visually see if they are down.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

Benckj wrote:
To be fair most people do not do this. I once had a slow leak and my wife took car out for a short 20km drive and ended up shreading a $400 tyre. Low profile type tyres are hard to visually see if they are down.
ouch.... yes they are are but most people don't even look at the tyres until they wash the car, if they wash the car

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

Benckj wrote:
You wouldn't believe what happened after I sold my RX-8 Jim. New owner texted me asking where I got the tyres as one had a slow leak. Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2. Coincidence?

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2. Coincidence?
Not sure as I got Goodyear to replace and haven't had a problem since. Had them at the track a few times and they went very well.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

mickeyduck wrote:I think you'll like the handling improvement if you fit Potenza RE003 all around Phill.

Tyres are a huge factor when it comes to handling. If you really think about what they do, and things like sidewall flex, tread squirm or the ability of a compound to give similar grip levels in a wide variety of temperatures and on wet or dry surfaces... No surprises that tyres likely make the single biggest difference to your car's handling.

You can have the most shit-hot suspension setup there is but if the tyres are B-grade it'll still slide off the road when you don't want it to... Conversely you can have a totally bog-standard suspension setup but with really good tyres you might find you can out-corner or out-brake most other things on the road. :wink:
I'll definitely be looking at RE003 when I eventually get around to finding a set of 17s I like. They sound like a tire that ticks a lot of boxes for what I want to use the car for.
As you say, tires are the single best modification you can do for handling and it will just help my suspension setup even more. Not that my T1Rs are a bad tire, just a bit soft around the edges. :)
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

GDII

Post by GDII »

A new found 'wonder' product for exterior trim! Still in testing on the car but from the years it has been around on the market it seems to work very well and even seeing examples first hand of being applied years prior I think it's pretty good.

The product is called CarPro C.Quartz DLUX.

This is a semi permanent clear ceramic coating designed for trim and wheels that is hydrophobic and UV resistant. This means dirt and water struggle to stick to it keeping everything cleaner. The guys at Detail Depot suggested I try it and even brought around some for me to test out. I liked it so much I bought some. ToyMonsta mentioned a Ceramic paint protection for the car paint further back in the thread but as my paint isn't great I thought it wouldn't be any use. http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php? ... 90#p126644 This is not for paint but more for trim and wheels where as other products in the C.Quartz range are for paint. If I was to go down this route I'd pay someone as applying this stuff takes practice and knowledge. I still haven't quite got it right on the trim but I'm learning.

Anyway, now to the actual photos of what it can do for 26 year old faded black plastics.

This is a before shot of the rear grille and lights not long after I bought the car back in 2008. This was after a wash too. It shows the biggest contrast in the rear trim. I've tried lots of things to bring the black back so I have made it better since then but nothing comes close to this stuff. Spray on tire shine works for 1 day but then collects dust and gets washed off.

After shots of the lights of which I only put the coating on the black parts.

Starting on the centre grille with a brush. Normally you would apply it with the suede applicator pads but this doesn't work with stuff like this.

Half and half

Finished

Then on to the window cowl. This was one of the most annoying panels on the whole car that I could never fix except for maybe buying a new one. Not sure on price but I expect it to be quite high. Over $250 I suspect.

Before shots

Not as bad as some I've seen but not good enough for what I want.

Preping with masking tape to prevent it getting on the glass or paint.

After

Half and half

Finished.

What you see there is what you get and it stays like this for years rather than days or weeks. This is a semi permanent product so you need to choose where it goes but once you put it on you don't want it to come off. It's that good!

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

The black looks really good nice going
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

ToyMonsta
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Hugh

Post by ToyMonsta »

I new you'd love that site I linked you, they have everything you will ever need 8)

can't wait to get my mr2 back to start giving it the mega detail.
Your 2 is looking fantastic!
1990 MR2 GT Rev 1 (Garaged Gem) 191,000 KMs (Rebuilding Engine Now)

GDII

Post by GDII »

ToyMonsta wrote:I new you'd love that site I linked you, they have everything you will ever need 8)

can't wait to get my mr2 back to start giving it the mega detail.
Your 2 is looking fantastic!
It's not only a great website. Because the guys who run it are based in Wellington they came over to help me with a few issues I was having.

I also did the rubber strip at the bottom of the rear window. I forgot to post these with the rest.

Before

Half and half

I'll post some proper finished photos later when I get around to actually taking them.

ToyMonsta
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Hugh

Post by ToyMonsta »

That's definitely a bonus....
Looking really good man, excellent job 8)
1990 MR2 GT Rev 1 (Garaged Gem) 191,000 KMs (Rebuilding Engine Now)

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: James

Post by Swampy »

Looking the business there Phil. I painted my cowl a nice metallic black and it looks good enough but yours is the logical method. You are right, there are some cowls out there for 250 plus dollars, I myself have seen a very sexy aftermarket cowl but cannot justify spending that much on a windshield cowl. I have some of that product added to my Amazon wishlist and shall try it out.. how did you avoid using too much though?
In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~

GDII

Post by GDII »

This stuff goes a long way. I've used 10ml or less so far on the parts I've applied it to. There are more bits on the car I have used it on but I haven't documented.