Mr2 mechanic Wellington

General discussions.
Please post in other areas if more suitable (eg technical, for sale etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please post in other areas if more suitable (eg technical, for sale etc...) Use of the General section to circumvent correct use of other forum sections may result in posts being deleted or forum permissions being revoked. Thank you.
Christopher
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Chris

Mr2 mechanic Wellington

Post by Christopher »

Hey guys,

I need to replace the cam belt in my 92 g limited, and I don't think my skill is up to the task.

Does anyone know a place in Wellington that knows how to work on 2s and charges a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance and apologies if there is a more relevant thread to post this in

😊

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: James

Re: Mr2 mechanic Wellington

Post by Swampy »

In my humble opinion I think any more experienced mechanic should be alright. The engines are just transverse mounted i4s same as 99% front wheel drive 4cyls, only difference is the engine isn't in the front of the car.

You could always try a Toyota dealership. :idea:
In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Swampy wrote: ↑
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:09 am
In my humble opinion I think any more experienced mechanic should be alright. The engines are just transverse mounted i4s same as 99% front wheel drive 4cyls, only difference is the engine isn't in the front of the car.

They might be the same as a front engine Toyota but getting the engine mount and cam covers off is a right pain. Taking off the AC bracket is the only way to get the lower cover off with the engine mount at the same time. Then you have to lower the engine to get the crank pulley off.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

TMS Racing in Paraparaumu is great, so is Ray Hartley Motors in Wellington.

I would see if you can get a quote before giving it to them. If not, they may find themselves taking twice as long as a normal car and billing you as such

Also make sure they use an OEM Waterpump, if you are doing that. I'd be more comfortable supplying that piece myself, so they don't use "OEM compatible" piece, which start leaking after 40,000km...
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

Not unless you want an enormous bill. I rate the parts departments of our sponsors, however I wouldn't get them to work on a thirty year old MR2. The local dealer gave a $3k bill just to remove and refit an engine on the car of an aqauntaince.

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Swampy »

Alsw20 wrote: ↑
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:26 pm

Not unless you want an enormous bill. I rate the parts departments of our sponsors, however I wouldn't get them to work on a thirty year old MR2. The local dealer gave a $3k bill just to remove and refit an engine on the car of an aqauntaince.
Fair enough, just thought they'd be a safe option if the rest are a bit dodgy.
~ 4 Runs ~

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Swampy »

ClanFever wrote: ↑
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:41 am
Also make sure they use an OEM Waterpump, if you are doing that. I'd be more comfortable supplying that piece myself, so they don't use "OEM compatible" piece, which start leaking after 40,000km...
+1 for genuine parts. I'm yet to confirm this 100% but my Subaru wp is made by Aisin and the timing belt is made by Mitsuboshi. I'm not sure how it'd go for the 3SGE but you *may* with some research find that the genuine Waterpump is an Aisin brand or such. Amayama's prices are quite expensive for genuine subaru Waterpump but the aisin is a mid range price, gmb lower end which is like repco's quality brand. Repco also do Mitsuboshi belts but might be an order in item. Just a tip that may save you some money OP. But yeah definitely avoid the cheapest quotes because chances are they will use cheap parts and you don't want to go cheap on critical parts.
~ 4 Runs ~