Head unit install

Sound and electronic gear in your MR2

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning in-car electronics. Stereos, alarms, GPS etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
warrior
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: brett

Head unit install

Post by warrior »

Hi, I am just about to install a head unit in my 1992 mr2. There are only wires coming from the dash, no lables etc on them. I have heard they have a factory amp in the system? Should I take this out? Or can it be wired in the head unit? I will also be changing front and rear speakers but just want to get the head unit working first.

Or is there anyone out there willing to install it for a paid job?

Any help would be great.

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: Head unit install

Post by Benckj »

If you have the premium sound system you will an amp behind the passengers seat. Amp is useless but you can tap inito the speakers from this point. Best to run a new multi-core HU to this box as OEM cable won't suffice. Could use this place for small aftermarket amp later on.

As you guessed the stock speakers will need to be replaced. They often disenerate into dust so once you get HU up and running spend some time and $ installing decent ones.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

warrior
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: brett

Post by warrior »

have had a look and no amp......ya-hoo. So I assume it is just a straight forward install. Anyone know the colour of the wire for the earth and the elec aerial?

98beamsmkII
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Ken

Post by 98beamsmkII »

warrior wrote:have had a look and no amp......ya-hoo. So I assume it is just a straight forward install. Anyone know the colour of the wire for the earth and the elec aerial?
It is always best to go by the connectors and their pin numbers rather then the wire colours! The 1991 BGB pages BE133 to BE135 gives you what you need to know.
Note there are 3 wiring configurations, my 1992 had the one on page BE135, the amplifier is in the passengers side quarter panel (inside the car right in front of the side air duct for the engine bay, remove the plastic lining where the rear speaker is it sits above/behind the seat belt recoil assembly)

Myself I found it easiest (and best) to bypass all factory wiring in this case and remove the unnecessaries (such as the amp). I used the cigi lighter for ACC, wired B+ directly to the battery with a 10A fuse, GND from somewhere good on the chassis, and the speakers I wired into the door loom (with an addition 2pin connector)

The neighbour had to poke in his nose as I was pulling more bits (interior parts) out of the car then he thought you could fit in there!
Ken

CoreysMr2
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Northland
First name: Corey

Post by CoreysMr2 »

hey ill install it for $40 if you come to me will take about 15min.

this is assuming there is no amp to by pass.

im in panmure
auto electrician

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Think your about 10 months to late. Talk bout reviving thread from the dead.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods