Pillar gauges

Sound and electronic gear in your MR2

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning in-car electronics. Stereos, alarms, GPS etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Saut de Chat
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Anthony

Pillar gauges

Post by Saut de Chat »

Does anyone know where to get those three pod a-pillar gauge holders from?
Or have one for sale?
I remember seeing one which replaced the factory trim, so fit in real nice.
The ones I have tried from auto accessory shops are all the wrong shape.

DrDarkMatter
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Nick

Re: Pillar gauges

Post by DrDarkMatter »

hi, if I might offer some advice and its only my advice mate, dont!

I have seen too many broken off or fall off, they restrict your vision, and just look ugly imho. we looked at this a while back for the track car, get a good auto gauge kit and put them in the centre above or below the radio. its cleaner simpler and down the road you will thank your self. :wink:

my 2 cents worth.

Saut de Chat
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Anthony

Post by Saut de Chat »

I have considered this, it is how they are set up at this moment.
However, I plan on sticking a 2din headunit in the car which means there is no more room for the gauges.

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Best place to fit the gauges IMO is in the speedo cluster. Can replace boost gauge with decent 2" version and then install a digital oil pressure or AFR on bottom side. Have a look around te US sites as there was some major work in this area. Last one I read had a replacement for the OEM clock which contained two additional inputs. Another one was working on a 'Heads-Up' display on the windscreen.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

lacham05
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Lochie

Post by lacham05 »

I would be wary of this as i have heard of people failing warrents for "obstruction of view"

CJ
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: CJ

Post by CJ »

mines a double one. They also had triple for sale. I dont find it a pain anymore, i can see quite clearly. But to begin with, it was "different". I got mine from repco, i asked for one to fit the mr2 and the one that got couriered was square in shape, i went back, told them it was wrong and showed them the shape of the mr2 piller. and they said, "oh, yea, ive seen that one" and the right one turned up next time. Its just what they had listed as MR2 wasnt actually correct. the correct shape is listed as a different car.