Remote Key Spare

Sound and electronic gear in your MR2

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning in-car electronics. Stereos, alarms, GPS etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Remote Key Spare

Post by Benckj »

Does anyone have or know where to source another remote key? I have one which works but would like to get another and possibly program up so it can be a spare in case I lose or damage mine. Single button type in pic below.

Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Benckj

Re: Remote Key Spare

Post by Benckj »

I can get a spare Toyota key minus the internals for remote. Does anyone have the electronics inside the key which I could have a play with and try to program to my frequency? Its a single button remote like the one shown above.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Tried in vain to open up my remote key and have a looke. Must have some sort of clip on topside which wouldn't bundge and I was afraid of breaking. Still on hunt to find another one to play with. I have seen this option on other cars but it seems very rare to have on the MR2. Can I ask if anyone else has the remote key option?
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Managed to find this blank transponder key. Have ordered and will see how I can match up with my existing. Noticed that they supplied full Toyota remote systems for $94USD including shipping.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/toyota-4d- ... -key-16620" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Benji
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Benji

Post by Benji »

Did you actually get it programmed in the end?
I am having exactly the same key and also one only, so interested in getting a spare one.

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

No never pursued another remote key. Hoping to pick up an OEM at some point then learning how to program.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car