Parasitic Load?

Sound and electronic gear in your MR2

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning in-car electronics. Stereos, alarms, GPS etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Parasitic Load?

Post by Benckj »

I have plenty of toys in my car including pumps, indicator lights, wideband, EBC, ECU, seat heater,etc, etc. Because of all these and car tends to sit for weeks without being run I installed a high capacity battery which is something like 730cca and 70ah capacity (Exide premium).

Recently the battery tends to die within a week so after charging overnight with a 3 stage smart charger I checked the parasitic load on my circuit off battery positive terminal to be 85ma. This seems high to me but not overly excessive given the toys which have a direct battery input. By my calcs at this load the battery should last 34days although may not have enough power to start engine.

After recently replacing an alternator in my 96NA I was surprised at the corrosion and broken terminals on the rectifier diodes. Although alternator checked out OK it wasn't going to survive much longer so I replaced.

My question; what is an acceptable parasitic load on an OEM circuit and can alternator internal faults contribute to this value?
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Justin

Re: Parasitic Load?

Post by Gleshlich »

Following this post. I have a fluctuating drain in mine between 2 and 5 AMPs when off. I have a battery cutoff switch for the time being until I figure it out
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to install cut off switch in mine. Guess the only thing I'd lose is radio station memory which I hardly use and have the hassle of popping frunk before using car. It wouldn't be too bad if I could locate isolator in decent place. Where did you install?
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Gleshlich »

Have mine in the frunk. Bottom right corner. Make sure there's nothing rolling around in there as it could get interesting with a battery cutoff mid corner
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

My frunk is getting rather cluttered with the installation of my WI system (pump, accumulator, pressure switch and gauge) plus I store spare tyre, tools, fuel can and blanket there. Will look at the possibility of installing an isolator switch up around the brake master cylinder so frunk items can stay put when switch is used. I'd rather find the problem but I think it will be a long and hard job of testing and isolating each circuit. Might even see if I can get battery replaced under warranty as its only approx. 1.5 years old. Need to punch up my details as I registered it on-line.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Correction, battery is a XN50ZZMF Exide Extreme rated at 730cca and 85ahr rating and installed March 2015. Has a 3 year warranty but I might just confirm this as had to register it on-line to get extra year.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Malcolm
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I'd defintely start by load testing the battery to make sure it is still in good condition.

Sounds like you have a lot of things receiving a supply from the battery that don't really need it. Perhaps you should consider moving them to ignition-switched supplies? Anyway if they're at least fused it is very easy to identify what is drawing current; just connect your ammeter and pull fuses one by one, watching the current draw to see if any trigger a significant drop. If you end up with an empty fusebox and the draw is still there, then the permanent supplies need to be looked at - which from memory should only really be the starter motor? IIRC even the alternator is connected to the battery via a (very large) fuse

GDII
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Malcolm wrote:I'd defintely start by load testing the battery to make sure it is still in good condition.

Sounds like you have a lot of things receiving a supply from the battery that don't really need it. Perhaps you should consider moving them to ignition-switched supplies? Anyway if they're at least fused it is very easy to identify what is drawing current; just connect your ammeter and pull fuses one by one, watching the current draw to see if any trigger a significant drop. If you end up with an empty fusebox and the draw is still there, then the permanent supplies need to be looked at - which from memory should only really be the starter motor? IIRC even the alternator is connected to the battery via a (very large) fuse
That would be my method too.

Like you said, the starter motor is the only thing connected directly to the motor that isn't fused. It doesn't even have a fusible link. The alternator is connected almost directly to the battery but it has a fusible link at the battery and the 120A ALT fuse. But to get that out you have to unbolt it from the fuse box. Almost everything else has a fuse that can be pulled out.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

All my circuits have fuses and generally switched supply via a relay. Several items do have a direct connection to battery but should not draw any power. The EBC, GPS tracker and turbo timer are examples.

I've load tested the battery using a decent 7 stage charger and it has passed. Next step is to bring into Exide dealer and let them test capacity. I think they run with a figure of 80% listed CCA to pass. Did find out the warranty is for 30 months so good thing I checked as if not registered on-line its only 24.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

The alternator is connected almost directly to the battery but it has a fusible link at the battery and the 120A ALT fuse.
Back to my orginal question; what is the normal OEM parasitic load on battery and can the alternator contribute to this if some diodes are shot?
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

GDII

Post by GDII »

Benckj wrote:
The alternator is connected almost directly to the battery but it has a fusible link at the battery and the 120A ALT fuse.
Back to my orginal question; what is the normal OEM parasitic load on battery and can the alternator contribute to this if some diodes are shot?
I'll do a test on my car but watching a video it says 50mA is max. Not on the MR2 though.
My car only has the alarm and aftermarket stereo head unit so no really abnormal draws should come from mine. My battery will last months without being used so my system is probably a good one to test this.

This is a good video for people who aren't familiar with what to do as a reference. I know this doesn't apply to you Jim as you know electronics very well.

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

I'd be interested to know what yours is Phil. I didn't find the 85ma exceptional which is why I'm surprised my battery is falling short every week. Granted this was only a spot check and could vary up and down based on battery voltage levels and ambient temperatures. I might just check my 96NA so I have something else to compare it with although there are many differences between the two vehicles including the remote key entry on my turbo which is stock.

I will leave in car until weekend and if its dead again it will be time to pull out and bring in for testing at Exide depot. Not much sense in re-conditioning if I can get a replacement under warranty. Looking at buying a new 130amp alternator Stateside to replace my stock 90amp one. Will cost approx. $260NZD delivered. Not a solution to the problem but its something I should have done when I dropped engine 2 years ago. Hope to do a decent road trip later this year.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Gleshlich »

I suspect my drain is an alternator diode too. Easiest way to check would be to unplug the alternator and check the current draw with battery disconnected.

However, since your draw is quite low it may just be the battery. There are battery shops all over the country that do free health tests. You just have to drive in
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Took car for run into town last night and it started and ran fine. Starting to think my 85ma may be normal background load given all my electronic goodies. Would like to know if this load remains constant as sometimes battery seems to drain quicker than other times. I wonder why it would change and how can I monitor? A mounted amp gauge would certainly help but would have to be fairly course to cope with run time current (ie 100amps). Might look into what is available.

Something like this would work although I'd rather have a CT clip on for current measurement. This one is good for 0-100amps and has resolution to 0.01.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5pcs-Re ... 6fb3deddc8
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

GDII

Post by GDII »

Well that failed. My multimeter has a blown 10A fuse so I can't do the testing. I wonder what I did either this time or a previous time for it to blow...