Supercharger Idler pulley rebuild

An area for technical topics concerning AW10's and AW11's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning AW10's and AW11's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: mike

Supercharger Idler pulley rebuild

Post by Mike n Rochelle »

I was putting the idler on my build and noticed that it is shot. Went to Saeco Wilson and found that the bearing is a cheap part but it is only the bearing. Have had the inner and outer pressed free of the bearing and am going to pick up a new bearing tomorrow so I can press it back together and install it.
Has anyone else done this or do you just got buy the whole unit new?
4AGZTE AW11 in progress, there is paint and I have lots of bits but still need allot more. Probably end up retired before this ever sees the road.
3sgte SW20 pain in the ass. Long gone
3SGE SW20 Rochelles car, actually road legal and working!!!!! LOL POS is always broken, wasting away in one garage.
2x AW and 1x SW in the process of being cut up for the crap man. Also long gone.
AW car I cant decide what to do with (Steeling parts off it while I decide) Deregd. Also long gone to scrap.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Charlie

Re: Supercharger Idler pulley rebuild

Post by mickeyduck »

The new ones are still available from Toyota for about $250 each (ouch).

I use a Subaru idler Mike. See my Rides thread for details (use Advanced Search for idler, author mickeyduck, Rides section)
Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 4.33.54 pm.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 4.33.54 pm.png (133.74 KiB) Viewed 5740 times
http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/search.php?key ... mit=Search

Ta-da...

http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php? ... er#p131230

Biff a 4mm washer behind it, perfect. Might need a different length belt but you'd be replacing them anyway right? They work perfectly with an overboost pulley too if you fit one.
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

MR2GUY
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Cameron

Post by MR2GUY »

I purchased the T3 idler, but only because the standard one was too large to fit with the larger crank pulley. their ones have a very easy and readily available bearing to replace when it dies :D

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Picked up a new bearing yesterday and will press it in today possibly. It is a common off the shelf bearing at Saeco and cheap :D
Thanks Guys I will keep your suggestions in mind if I need to change to somthing else.
4AGZTE AW11 in progress, there is paint and I have lots of bits but still need allot more. Probably end up retired before this ever sees the road.
3SGE SW20 Rochelles car, actually road legal and working!!!!! LOL POS is always broken, wasting away in one garage.
2x AW and 1x SW in the process of being cut up for the crap man. Also long gone.
AW car I cant decide what to do with (Steeling parts off it while I decide) Deregd. Also long gone to scrap.

mickyd
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Mike

Post by mickyd »

Both of my 4AGZE idler pulleys were shot. They appeared to be a one piece design so I couldn't get the bearing out and had to biff them. Just about bought the genuine Toyota replacements for $160USD each but then found out the 4AGE 20V has a bottom idler pulley the same diameter, width, and offset with removable bearings. Got a couple from Pickapart, replaced the bearings and all sorted for less than $100!

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

mickyd wrote:Both of my 4AGZE idler pulleys were shot. They appeared to be a one piece design so I couldn't get the bearing out and had to biff them. Just about bought the genuine Toyota replacements for $160USD each but then found out the 4AGE 20V has a bottom idler pulley the same diameter, width, and offset with removable bearings. Got a couple from Pickapart, replaced the bearings and all sorted for less than $100!
Charlie also did it with a Subaru one, check his thread for more info

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Lots of options there then. Mine went in no problems just make sure you mark where everything sits so you know where to stop pressing.

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

mknz wrote:Charlie also did it with a Subaru one, check his thread for more info
Shameless plug here aimed at mickyd - one of the advantages of club membership is the ability to use the forum's Search functionality. Lots of info is then available to you with the absolute minimum time wasted looking for it. Eg if you use Advanced Search, target posts by the author in the section of the forum you want, looking for key words, you'll find stuff real fast. As opposed to wading through 97 pages of my Rides thread for example. :mrgreen:
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted: