Lowering

An area for technical topics concerning AW10's and AW11's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning AW10's and AW11's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Millhouse1
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Jamie

Lowering

Post by Millhouse1 »

Hey all.

I'm after some advice ... I want to get my AW11 lowered, mainly for aesthetic reasons, but I also don't want to compromise the handling or make the ride too harsh, given it's used for town use (not track days). What's a nice amount to lower it without having too many issues hitting the front valance or side skirts while entering driveways etc. I don't want it to be ridiculously low. Was thinking maybe 1.5 inches? Also, do you think shorter springs or coilovers are best? And what make is recommended, to improve the handling slightly without creating a back breaking ride?

Cheers

flying_wedge
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Mark

Re: Lowering

Post by flying_wedge »

Given you're brief, I'd suggest coilovers aren't the option for you. For street driving where you're used to the stock feel and just after a lower look I'd personally be looking for TRD springs if someone is willing to part with their set, or another type of lowering spring like Jamex or kings.

Or these:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/car- ... f=k6hCEob4

Maybe line up some new shock insert's while you're at it, a set of urethane suspension bushes, new balljoints and steering rack ends/tie rods and feel pretty pleased with your firmer than stock good handling and good looking adub :D

Millhouse1
Guest of the Club.
First name: Jamie

Re: Lowering

Post by Millhouse1 »

Thanks Mark. I ended up going with cobra springs, which lowered the ride height by 30mm. I'm happy with them. They are firm but not a noticeably firmer ride than before, and give the car a good stance without making it impractical for regular street driving. I have urethane suspension bushes already, but the ball joints and other suspension and steering parts you listed haven't been replaced, well not by me anyway. May have been done by the last two owners as they had both done a lot of work on it. Hope your car is going ok. Haven't seen it for a while.