Window seal issue

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Thomas

Window seal issue

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

Hey there everyone,

Hope everyone is keeping busy this quarantine - I'm sure we all are, the mr2 list never seems to end.

I've been having issues with my driver side window seal. While it doesn't leak, there is a pocket of wind noise. If you can, have a look at the photo below. It seems that it just peels away, about only 2-3 inches long.
20200409_103435.jpg
20200409_103432.jpg
I can't adjust the window up, as it's already flush with the rest of the seal, plus I now have tints on the inside of the window.

Is there any way to seal this? Above 100k's it gets pretty bad.

Cheers,

Thomas
89' SW20 GT w/ Gen 4 3SGTE
13.2 @ 107mph

"man this thing drives like ass" - Sun Tzu, probably

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Olaf

Re: Window seal issue

Post by ClanFever »

I tried this technique on the pillerless doors of our Carina viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15482 - sort of helped but I didn't do that good of a job either... might be worth a try. You'll have to seat the door closed for a week after application so what better time to do it then this isolation...
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Glass can be adjusted inside door to tilt and close properly. It takes some time to get right but that is what it needs. Search on a link to doing this adjustment as I’ve posted before but can’t do now as no access to work PC.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

Thanks for the advice! Might have to try this. Is it imperative to have no rain for the week?

I have no garage :( and there is no way being in Auckland that it's not going to rain for the next week.

Also don't have silicone windscreen sealant so it might have to wait after lockdown haha.

Thanks for the link though, really helpful!
13.2 @ 107mph

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

Benckj wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:51 am
Glass can be adjusted inside door to tilt and close properly. It takes some time to get right but that is what it needs. Search on a link to doing this adjustment as I’ve posted before but can’t do now as no access to work PC.
I had a look into this, as I had to do it for my passenger window. I know the exact procedure you're talking about. I don't think that will solve it because it's peeling back, and the rest is flush, and pushing further in won't make a difference?

Not too sure though. Might give it a shot. Cheers! Wasn't too hard on my passenger job, about a 15 minute job
13.2 @ 107mph

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

Aight, so a semi-successful update.

I bought some dielectric silicone paste from Supercheap https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/hers ... NZ&start=1

Worked wonders for my drivers side! No wind noise at all on the motorway anymore, brought it back to great shape.

However, as anyone from Auckland would know, the past week has rained quite heavily. My passenger side did not cope with it at all.

There is water coming through the T-Top to window seal. Keep in mind the silicone around the sides has already been done by Chris before I got the car. The window is adjusted to be as tight as possible.

My question now lies that does anyone have experience with replacing the T-Top window seals? Seen here on Amayama https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/6238217051

It's about $125 and if it fixes my leak I'll be happy. Does anyone know what the labour is in replacing these? Surely can't be that hard (Famous last words).

Any advice/knowledge would be appreciated.
13.2 @ 107mph

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

There was a mini build series of some people in the UK doing up a blue SW and they showed changing the seals for the T-Top.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe1gNn ... YqSG0IEbXw
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Crawls
Stomping Ground: Hawkes Bay
First name: Keith

Post by Crawls »

I have replaced the t top seals. Two pins at either end of the seal, two clips with screws on center section and a bolt on the top of the A pillar and one above seatbelt (not sure what pillar this is, B??)

You just have to unclip plastic liner on A pillar and above seatbelt. Once that is done it is a matter of pulling old seal off, then installing new one.
Should take approx 20mins each side.
Keith "Crawls" Crawley
Membership Officer & Hawkes Bay Area Coordinator
90 SW20 n/a (Repairing)
18 Fortuner (Current)
92 SW20 (Current)
https://www.instagram.com/keith_crawley

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

I think there is some confusion on what seals I'm replacing sorry!

The seals I'm thinking are on the T Top themselves, not so much the window seals that attach to the car. Like the rubber bit that is on the T Top itself (Seperate from the car).

The seals you guys are referring too would be great to replace, but it's about $500-600 to get a set. I had a look on MR2 Ben, MR2 Heaven, Twosrus, Amayama and Toyota NZ themselves (A 12 week wait for any part out of Japan for anyone FYI), and that's the lowest they go.

I would love to replace those too but can't justify spending that much, when it seems to be that T-Top rubber itself that is causing the problem.

Thanks for the advice Keith, doesn't sound too hard if I go down that route.
MR2 seals.png
MR2 seals.png (144.17 KiB) Viewed 1761 times
This is the seal I'm referring to replacing
13.2 @ 107mph

Crawls

Post by Crawls »

Haha. My bad. I will say, when I replaced mine I got them from Toyota. They wanted $900 each for the main ones, and after I swore at the parts manager I ended up paying about $135 each.
Keith "Crawls" Crawley
90 SW20 n/a (Repairing)
18 Fortuner (Current)
92 SW20 (Current)

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

Crawls wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 6:56 pm
Haha. My bad. I will say, when I replaced mine I got them from Toyota. They wanted $900 each for the main ones, and after I swore at the parts manager I ended up paying about $135 each.
$135?!?!? That's a deal and a half mate. Maybe I have to do that haha. The parts guy at my local dealership is really great and I have a good relationship with him so maybe not :( They want $526 + GST for a whole set. Way too much.
13.2 @ 107mph

Crawls

Post by Crawls »

I will say that $135 was a few years ago. And they were NZ stock, not ordered from Japan. I do wish o had ordered a second set, you know just in case...
Keith "Crawls" Crawley
90 SW20 n/a (Repairing)
18 Fortuner (Current)
92 SW20 (Current)

Crawls

Post by Crawls »

When you say a whole set, is that for all four seals or just the two on the ttop??
Keith "Crawls" Crawley
90 SW20 n/a (Repairing)
18 Fortuner (Current)
92 SW20 (Current)

GlanzaAtHeart
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by GlanzaAtHeart »

The "set" is the two seals I think you must've replaced?

The weatherstripping that is attached to the car, those 2 seals. One on each side. Goes from the A pillar to the T tops and around.

To get the T-Top ones (The ones I'm after and circled above) are $271 + GST. A side. Not to mention 12 weeks away.

Complete rip off sometimes. Amayama I can get OEM Toyota for seals (Same T Top ones) for $125 a side including shipping, here by about 2.5 weeks.

Here is the video Phil is talking about above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7ll_DdmSB8&t=10s

Very helpful, for anyone with the same issue now or later on, doesn't look too hard at all. Will order in new seals through Amayama and update when I get it done
13.2 @ 107mph