Major and sudden radiator leak?

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
ansys
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Paul

Major and sudden radiator leak?

Post by ansys »

So... this happened. I pulled into the garage, and I noticed the car was pissing down coolant pretty quickly from the bottom (and rear?) of the radiator in what seems like two spots. The drain plug at the bottom was dry and seemed fine. Did the thing just burst on me and all I need is a new radiator? I'm kind of surprised it was pouring out that quickly

I've read a few things online about a broken water pump leading to this kind of failure, but I'm having trouble understanding how a broken pump in the back would lead to a bursting radiator in the front.

I should add that I never noticed the temperature gauge overheating at any point, though the engine seemed to be running a little rough a day or two before this happened (I had been trying to monitor the temp gauge).

Any thoughts/insights are most appreciated!
Attachments
radiator leak.jpg
radiator leak.jpg (172.21 KiB) Viewed 2317 times

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: Major and sudden radiator leak?

Post by Benckj »

Wont really know where the leak is until you investigate location. Most likely place is the lower radiator hose but anything can fail given its age condition and internal pressure. Once you locate exact failure point you can remove & repair or replace the component. Then its probably time to flush and replace coolant given that it looks like there is limited antifreeze in mix from picture taken. Remember having proper antifreeze mix is important as it also raises boiling point and provides essential anti corrosion properties to the fluid.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Lower radiator hose? They both sit at the same height.

Pop the radiator cover off and take a look to see any traces of leaking around the radiator.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

The radiator cores can rot out. If you need a new one I would recommend having the original rebuilt, they are made of better materials than the aftermarket ones and fit perfectly of which the aftermarket ones rarely do.

Otherwise you can get aftermarket silicon radiator hose kits from lots of places. You can see half the radiator from under the car without removing anything, just jack it up and pour water in.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

tw2 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:30 pm
The radiator cores can rot out. If you need a new one I would recommend having the original rebuilt, they are made of better materials than the aftermarket ones and fit perfectly of which the aftermarket ones rarely do.

Otherwise you can get aftermarket silicon radiator hose kits from lots of places. You can see half the radiator from under the car without removing anything, just jack it up and pour water in.
The aftermarket ones fit fine but are all based on the turbo powered MR2 and Auto NA. If you have an NA manual that is where you have issues. Although I have seen a few interesting mounting issues which should not be a problem regardless of turbo and auto or na manual.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/