Replacing fuel sender - issues.

An area for topics concerning SW20's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning SW20's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Mark Jefferies
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Mark

Replacing fuel sender - issues.

Post by Mark Jefferies »

Hi all.

I replaced my fuel sender in my car and it only reads from 1/4 of a tank to Empty correctly. If I fill the car above 1/4 it stays at 1/4 until the fuel level drops below this point. The reason I brought a new sensor was that I thought the old one was bad (because of the same issue).

I’ve checked the sender outside of the tank and it goes between Empty to Full with no issues.

My obvious thought was that a baffle in the tank has moved and is obstructing the float - but I was wondering if there was a specific way to fit the sender - just in case I’m missing something. Maybe the foot sits inside a channel ?

I don’t want to put a torch anywhere near the sensor hole just in case something bad happens.

Has anyone seen the inside of an SW20 tank -or can tell me how to correctly fit the sender ?

Cheers

Mark.

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Re: Replacing fuel sender - issues.

Post by GDII »

I don't think there is a baffle around the fuel level sender, only around the pump.

Are you sure it is not the gauge itself gone bad?
It's all based on a resistance system and the variable resistor is the sender float arm moving on the contacts in the sender unit.
If you are getting the exact same issue with another sender then it's not the sender.

Did you test the sender by plugging it in with it outside the tank and moving it and watching the gauge?
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Mark Jefferies
Guest of the Club.
First name: Mark

Post by Mark Jefferies »

GDII wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:24 pm
I don't think there is a baffle around the fuel level sender, only around the pump.

Are you sure it is not the gauge itself gone bad?
It's all based on a resistance system and the variable resistor is the sender float arm moving on the contacts in the sender unit.
If you are getting the exact same issue with another sender then it's not the sender.

Did you test the sender by plugging it in with it outside the tank and moving it and watching the gauge?
Yes the sender was tested outside the pump and worked ok .

It seems odd that something may have moved inside the tank. I’m tempted to have a look inside the tank.- I have one of those remote camera units but obviously fuel tanks are a major concern especially around fumes . Perhaps I made a mistake fitting the sender unit when the tank was low. Perhaps I should have fitted the sender when I had over half a tank (or more) in the car…..

If anyone has had a tank out of a car I’d be interested to know what the obstruction might be.

Thanks for your reply !

Benckj
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

I've had the tank out and took a series of pics. Majority on my repair was focused on installation of a new pump rather than the fuel sender. I did remove the sender and inspect but all was fine as was the tank. I do not recall any obstructions in the tank which would cause sender to read incorrectly. As GDII pointed out the pump has a surge shroud around it but not the sender unit.

I'd guess the problem is with your dash gauge. Why not test your old sender with a multi meter and then connect to gauge to confirm its operational limits?
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Benckj
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Sorry no pic of tank but this is what my sender looked like. Maybe you had a loose wire or the steel rod that possibly interferes with the float operation??
Attachments
IMG_1408.JPG
IMG_1408.JPG (605.58 KiB) Viewed 1888 times
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods