2005 Wish 1ZZ-FE $950

An area for topics concerning ZZW30's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning ZZW30's a.k.a. MRS / Spyder. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Seanja
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: Sean

2005 Wish 1ZZ-FE $950

Post by Seanja »

Hi all,

I've searched everywhere but I can't find an answer on this.

Has anyone fitted a 1ZZ-FE out of a 2005 Toyota Wish to a Spyder? It's a late 2005 1ZZ (which I think means it has the new pistons and ring design), but I don't know if that will have the "cast engine mount that bolts to the timing cover" is the right type. I assume if it doesn't, the one off my old oil burning ZZ would have to be removed and used.

If so, is that a big job?

I was also told by a mechanic who quoted me $3,500 for a fitted motor that the year of the 1ZZ doesn't matter (the oil burning is a myth) and that low km's are not necessarily ideal. I think he was trying to sell me a motor. My understanding is that the all the early 1ZZ's have a oil use issue, and $3,500 sounds expensive (includes a new clutch).

Anyway, some advice would be sincerely appreciated.

The old girl has just started blowing quite a bit of smoke after engine breaking and it uses about 1l of oil per 1200km which worries me a little, so I think its time to swap it out but I'm a bit worried about buying the wrong motor and ending up not being able to afford to complete the urgent repair.

If someone could recommend a reliable mechanic on the North Shore or greater Auckland if they know someone that's 100% trustworthy, and if I could get some advice on wether I should buy the Wish 1ZZ motor I would be really grateful.

Should I also replace the clutch as well ( the car has done 210,000 km).

Thanks,

Sean

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Ivor

Re: 2005 Wish 1ZZ-FE $950

Post by psyguy »

Mike has fitted a 2009 (?) Wish motor, iirc? with no problems.
Apparently, Celica and MRS have a different head/valves to the rest of 1zz family but even if true the difference is likely to be very little.
I have a 2003 and 2005 1zz and neither burn oil.
Oil burning on the early models is a reality not a myth however good maintenance from new reduces a likelyhood of that happening. Newer models are more forgiving of negligence, to put it another way.
At your mileage definitely change the clutch as it's a big job in it's own.
Straight engine swap with a clutch replacement is about 1-1.5 days work for an experienced mechanic.
Ethan from Hi-pwer Performance has worked on my car and I can recommend him - if he can find time to fit you in in his busy schedule building beastly GTR's.

Seanja
Guest of the Club.

Post by Seanja »

Thanks (again) for your time & help Ivor.

It's put me at ease and it's really, really appreciated.

Will certainly take your advice on the clutch, and will contact Ethan. If he's too busy he might be able to put me onto some one.

I don't know if the engine comes with a water pump, if not, does that need to be done too or is that a reasonably easy thing to do later?

Regards,
Sean

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by psyguy »

Dunno about the water pump.
If noone here knows the answer, you could ask at the FB page, they'd probably know (though they didn't get Wish in the US).
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ToyotaM ... ?ref=share

Seanja
Guest of the Club.

Post by Seanja »

Awesome, I'll check it out.

Thanks again.

S.

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

Hi I have a 2009 wish motor in my Spyder. I changed the clutch water pump and main seal prior to putting it in. It had done 77k when it went in and i have done another 10k and no sign of oil burning. The 1zz in the wish and the 1zz for the MR2 were made in the same factory and are 1zz FED .

Definitely worth doing

Mine also has the cast iron timing cover mount .
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

Seanja
Guest of the Club.

Post by Seanja »

Thanks Mike, really appreciated.

I've gone ahead and ordered the motor. Will definitely look at the water pump as well.

Thanks for the info. it takes away some of the concern. The current engine couldn't have picked a worst time to begin to exit this world.

Does the cast iron timing cover require modification? (I'm not sure how that impact the installation).

Good to know it's a FED too. Perfect for my needs.

Sean

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

The Cast iron cover mount didn't require any mods at all if that helps. Was a very easy transplant and only took a day really
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

Rosscar
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Ross

Post by Rosscar »

I have a 2004 Caldina with a 1ZZ and I notice the red line is at 6500rpm instead of the 7000 in the MRS which suggests it is tuned quite differently. How is the Wish motor in comparison?

psyguy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by psyguy »

Rosscar wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:18 am
I have a 2004 Caldina with a 1ZZ and I notice the red line is at 6500rpm instead of the 7000 in the MRS which suggests it is tuned quite differently. How is the Wish motor in comparison?
The Wish also has a 6500rpm limit but this would be due to the ECU so when you put its 1zz engine into the MR-S it should rev to 7krpm.
Btw, the US Spyders have the redline at 6750rpm.