Mickeyduck's machines

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
pbaron
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Pierre

Re: Mickeyduck's machines

Post by pbaron »

I fitted a 120A glow plug relay to one of mine, it had bolt on terminals same size as original, got it on Trademe but notice that there are none available now, was $35 shipped.I also got some spares from aliexpress 200A units for 20ish each if you can wait for the delivery https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3298620 ... 4c4dggINLZ
SW20 project car

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

Interesting, thanks guys. Much appreciated. :D

No ABS in this thing either btw. Quite the opposite in fact. :lol:
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Having fitted my last spare SW power steering relay I went back for the recheck this morning and got a nice fresh Waka Kotahi WOF for my canoe. Er, car.
DSCF9112.JPG
DSCF9107.JPG
Gave up waiting to hear back regards 17 inch rims so scored a new set of Potenza S001 in 245/35-18 for the back of the SW. Damp roads this morning so scrubbing them in will have to wait. Got them from Bush Rd Tyres in Albany for $422 each fitted, balanced and nitrogen filled. That's about $140 cheaper per tyre than the replacement model, the S007A. Good job the rears I just scored are OEM for a Merc, and the fronts are OEM for an Audi. Keeps them available. It'll be interesting to see how the 245 go on the back instead of the 255. I'm very much hoping they never rub on the guards like the 255 occasionally did.
DSCF9110.JPG
DSCF9104.JPG

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Went for a little blat in the red thing the day after my birthday with Isaac driving for about half the trip. His first drive of the red thing. Happy to say he was impressed by how planted it is. And it was a pretty damp day too. Headed north for a fair way up the back-roads, up past Matakana. Explored a few new ones too but of course they all end up turning to gravel half-way through their length. Good day. Gotta say it's kinda funny riding shotgun for the first time in maybe 25 years. Especially in that thing! Good job Isaac's such a good driver. 8)

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Tuesday 11th August 2020 marked 6 years at my current place of employment. Not that anyone other than myself noticed. Figured the day had gone ok then along comes Jacinda telling us we're all back in lockdown from lunchtime the next day. That put a wee damper on things. Mind you it was only a matter of time, had to happen eh... Meh.

Watched a serious traffic jam at lunchtime on Wednesday 12th as everyone but us headed home. Last lockdown we worked from home and it seemed to go extremely well. This time the boss decreed we had to be in the office. He says his rellies in England have had Covid and it's "no worse than the flu".

That's so reassuring.

Problem is I know what it's like to be stuck to a machine to help me breathe and keep me alive (asthma) and I also know the excruciating pain of fluid in my lungs. And I was a lot younger and more resilient back then.

Anyway it is what it is so I'm looking for the positives.

Heading home that night there were hardly any cars around compared to normal. It's hardly been driven since the first dose of lockdown back in March so I decided to take the Red Thing to work. No traffic to speak of. Nobody parked on the street. If during an outbreak of one of the most infectious diseases of all time I have to work in an air conditioned box that's as healthy as an airplane, I may as well enjoy the drive, right? And hey, few things are more fun to drive.

I parked on the street as per the boss's instructions. Deserted street, all seemed well. What could possibly go wrong?

Mid morning the Rice and Noodle takeaway across the road opened and within minutes there was a healthy dose of clientele queueing outside it, no social distancing evident and not all wearing masks. Perhaps they don't understand the Government's instructions? Maybe we need foreign sub-titles on telly? It would sure make sense here in Auckland...

Home-time came, I opened the passenger door, put my stuff in the car, walked around the back, got in and drove off. Got to my destination and walked around to the front of the car and saw this. Some idiot had reversed into my SW with their tow-bar while it was parked across the road from the Rice and Noodle bar. Picked up a handful of red bits off the road next day, that confirmed it.

Hell, those idiots had an entire empty street to park in and someone does this? Unbelievable.

Not happy. :evil:

-
Damage_20200813_173118.jpg

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Ouch, that sucks Charlie. That’s what the city will do to you. Hope insurance comes through as it’s not an easy fix. The red beast was looking so good!
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

andymillenium
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Henrik

Post by andymillenium »

I totally feel you. My previous 2 got reversed into by a ute, but I had the car plate there, so it took most of the brunt force from the tow-bar. That left me with a dented plate and minor paint cracks. :evil:
1996 Red Rev4 SW20 MR2 G-Ltd
1995 Red Rev3 SW20 MR2 G-Ltd (Sold)

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

It could certainly have been a lot worse. I don't think the bumper iron is bent, gaps still look ok to the bonnet etc. And the fog lights and indicators are ok. I guess I just need to look for the positives - cos it easily could have been a lot worse.

Annoys the heck outta me but I'll get it sorted, and sorted right.

:)

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Annoys the heck outta me but I'll get it sorted, and sorted right
Time to install that Veilside kit you always wanted??
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

That's just bad luck, also your boss, wtf on the "it's just a flu" thing... think you would be within your rights to dob them in and stay at home.
Attachments
5af0a559bd96711c008b4631.jpg
5af0a559bd96711c008b4631.jpg (72.38 KiB) Viewed 2736 times
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

ClanFever wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:10 pm
That's just bad luck
Nah it's just some a-hole being both careless and uncaring. Shit doesn't happen, it comes from...
ClanFever wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:10 pm
think you would be within your rights to dob them in
Sure. Just not my style.
Benckj wrote:Time to install that Veilside kit you always wanted??
Er, not me Jim. Prefer the looks of it as is. Factory, with rolled guards and matchbox toy wheels. Makes me smile. :mrgreen:

Taking it to the panel shop on Friday for assessment. Will be nice to have it back to its sexy old self.

There's only 47 '94 MR2's on the road in NZ and of those how many are like this one?

One. Deserves looking after. 8)

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

That's better. 8)
20200902_180013.jpg

GDII
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

That's no fun getting hit! I've got damage from someone hitting mine. Never thought to go with insurance on it. Could have had a nice freshly painted bumper, was years ago. My rear has been done under insurance though.

Looks so good though!
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Logan
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Logan

Post by Logan »

Great to see your car back in action even if it was just a passing glance, what a coincidence!
Looks like a good job on the repairs and bet you're relieved to have that sorted.
1996 Turbo SW20

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

Logan wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:35 pm
Looks like a good job on the repairs and bet you're relieved to have that sorted.
Yes on both counts! :D

Totally love driving that thing every time that I do, it's just such a special car and after half a decade of tinkering to iron out the bugs it seems to finally be both reliable and robust. Touch wood... :lol:

Just don't want to drive it in Auckland as there's too many numpties on the road. Best enjoyed on twisty back-roads.

With the boot basically full of intercooler I want to figure out how to carry enough luggage for two people to do a month-long road trip around NZ. The Bride seats are a bit difficult to get stuff in behind of so I might fit the leather SW seats to see if having seats that flip forward makes things any easier. Though I'm guessing OEM seats waste space due to their thickness... Wardy fitted a set of red and black 86 seats in his SW before he sold it and they looked good. Might be another option? 86 seats have really good bolstering and hold you in place nicely when cornering fast. :wink:

Hoping regional travel is allowed come Labour Weekend cos I'd like to do the East Cape road trip.
https://mr2.org.nz/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 49#p152449

evil-smilee.jpg
evil-smilee.jpg (6.45 KiB) Viewed 2697 times