[SOLD] mknz's SW20 (Formerly Alex's)

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Re: Alex's SW20

Post by GDII »

Looks great. What are you doing with the coolant tree on the back of the head? How are you going to put the radiator cap on?
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: I restrained from asking that question as Wayne is working on that car, no doubt he will make up something.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

Grrrrrrr!
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Lee

Post by Grrrrrrr! »

cut the flange off the gen4 coolant tree and weld to the gen2 one. Solved. I've been waiting for Wayne to do that to mine for about a year tho :)

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

I only ask because there are a few ways to do it. One being what Grrrrrrr said and another welding a cap fitting on top of the coolant tree. I don't like the look of the second method but it has far less piping than stock.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Wayne
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I'm not telling :)

Dontcopy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Alex

Post by Dontcopy »

Righttttt update time.

Put all the suspension back in the rear, and replaced the last of the coolant hoses down the front. Front brakes got their rebuild and were installed, and she's now got basically brand new Rotors and Pads front and rear.

Wayne tidied up all the wiring aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand went to start it and the fuel pump wasn't working.. so the tank came out again and turns out the ground wire in the tank broke at some point :roll:
But after a slightly interesting fix we got the motor started for the first time! Made a massive mess however lol

*Ehm*
Screenshot_2015-07-19-22-01-51.png
The clutch and brakes got brand new fluid, it's got fresh coolant and of course oil + filter. We didn't have the time/Money to do anything special with the exhaust (It is coming though!) so I went and scrounged a stock SW20 exhaust from the wreckers. Was lucky and even got one with a cat delete pipe for a grand total of $50.

After rolling all the guards we got it back on all four wheels and out for a drive for the first time in 7 months.
DSC_0270.JPG
DSC_0274.JPG
DSC_0272.JPG
DSC_0273.JPG
DSC_0275.JPG
And WHOLEY SHIT is this thing a mental little go-cart, it's an absolutely tremendous difference when compared to the tired old SW20 I bought it as. Look forward to brining it on a few of the MR2 Club runs!

And massive thanks to Wayne for all your help!
Alex Wilson
1991 Toyota MR2 SW20 GTS

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: James

Post by Swampy »

Nice work, good to see it going well, got any video of spirited driving yet?

Just out of interest how does the 2GR-FE go compared to other engine swap candidates like the 5th Gen BEAMS 3s-ge or the 4th gen 3s-gte from the Caldina?

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Good job.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Dontcopy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Alex

Post by Dontcopy »

Swampy wrote:Nice work, good to see it going well, got any video of spirited driving yet?

Just out of interest how does the 2GR-FE go compared to other engine swap candidates like the 5th Gen BEAMS 3s-ge or the 4th gen 3s-gte from the Caldina?
No videos just yet. Maybe later :)

How do you mean? the 2GR requires a lot more work and money than the other options, if that's what you mean
Alex Wilson
1991 Toyota MR2 SW20 GTS

Grrrrrrr!
Guest of the Club.
First name: Lee

Post by Grrrrrrr! »

Let us know how the cert goes.

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: David

Post by DravidDavid »

Grrrrrrr! wrote:Let us know how the cert goes.
Pffff. Who needs a cert :P
I bet I could get that car through my local VTNZ with flying colours!

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: James

Post by Swampy »

They won't know! If it's been fitted to look "factory"

But I meant in terms of performance compared to those swaps I mentioned.

Ah. Maybe I'll meet you one day and find out for myself :D

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

2GR swap is the daddy. You get mid 12 second quarter mile performance and can run on regular unleaded.

Beams swap is cute and different, but really the only benefit would be in class racing if you had to keep under a 2000cc limit, remembering turbo engines get a multiplier effect on displacement in rules.

Gen4 is done because you can pick up donor cars reasonably cheaply and plentiful. From what fivebob has written on Toyspeed over the years on them, as long as you keep them stock and run them on 98 they should be reliable enough I guess. Gen3 would be better for bolt on power though.

Wayne
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Wayne

Post by Wayne »

the only limitations on the gen 4 is the rods .. but thats a good limitation .. 98 and 1 bar of boost is about all your going to get .. but they do make considerably better bottom end power than a gen3
gen 4 is a good engine for most mr2 drivers ... but not if you want big hp

DravidDavid
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: David

Post by DravidDavid »

Yep. An exhaust, pod filter, BOV is about all you can do to a gen 4 3SGTE. They were built for fuel economy (and they damn well failed!)

A friend of mine and one other in the Caldina club recently learned this first hand. I'll attach some photos so you know exactly how thin they are. This particular example was over-boost, or surge. It wasn't under any particular stress either, the guy was on the motorway at the time.

These engines are very prone to detonation and boost creep/surge. There are videos amongst Caldina owners with boost gauges at about 10psi and then hitting 25/30psi.

The other example I believe had the boost up to around 16psi from the stock 10psi. In my friends case, he lost all power and said he felt like he hit gravel. A cleanup crew was required. He had shattered his block right down the middle. It looked as if the only thing holding the block together was the top end!
Block split in half.
Block split in half.
shattered_block.jpg (108.39 KiB) Viewed 5361 times
Cracked number 2 piston.
Cracked number 2 piston.
piston_twist2.jpg (52.6 KiB) Viewed 5361 times
Snapped number 3 piston.
Snapped number 3 piston.
piston_twist1.jpg (41.18 KiB) Viewed 5361 times