AW11 V2

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
krupkee
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: .

AW11 V2

Post by krupkee »

I don't remember if I ever had a thread for my old aw11. I had it for about 7 years, bought it for 600 bucks, swapped 20v in etc etc. ended up not working on it for a year or so as I didn't have much space at the flat I was in. Got my own place now so I have a decent garage (5x7m).
Pics of the old one mostly stripped, can see the old colour and one of the seams:

Took everything apart intending to give it a respray, found quite a lot of classic, good old fashioned aw11 rust which I knew there were a few places but not as many as I found, It had a rear cut done on it and the paint came off where I waterblasted, then I saw the seams where it was spot/tack welded were rusty etc, decided it wasn't worth trying to fix, there were a few other issues as well.

Picked up an aw11 with a cage as a replacement and was pretty rough, but mostly just dirty, messy, dodgy, only rust I have found so far was easy to fix (under RF sill, next to wheel well, probably because this was never cleaned out under the side skirt. First thing I did was clean it, wire brush it back as best as I could and por 15 the front, trunk and wheel wells.
Pics of newbie:
Dirty girl
All clean!:

Did the interior up pretty smart like (duplicolour vinly fabric paint works wonders). Looking pretty good. Engine is swapped over now. Just have to swap my old suspension in(will get pics of doddggyy suspension job tomorrow when I start that)
Plan to modernise it in the/for the future:

Sorry for the bad quality photos, I always forget my good camera and just use my phone, will get some better ones at some point..

Sinturion
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Alex

Re: AW11 V2

Post by Sinturion »

Awesome. I love that cluster - is it from an AE86?
AW11 - 2GRFE powered

krupkee
Guest of the Club.

Post by krupkee »

Nah from the fxgt, ae86 is quite a bit longer. Wiring, especially the fuel level sender will be the tricky part!

Ash Kelly Barr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Ash

Post by Ash Kelly Barr »

Awesome with the gauge cluster! I saw one on trademe a little while back and thought of doing the same thing

Post some photos when ya get it going!
Toyota motors:
Current - 89 AW11 factory manual SC
Sold - 74 Toyota Crown wagon (MS63), Holden 308, TH400 trans

krupkee
Guest of the Club.

Post by krupkee »

FInally got my tyres put on my new wheels. Enkei RPF1 14x7 et19. ~3.5kg each with toyo t1r 195/45/14

Still not good photos. Need to put some clearlight stuff on the garage roof :(

Sits quite low but because the wheels + tyres are so small suspension geometry is still pretty good

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

WT...?

Forgive me if I missed something... Am I looking at carbies or what?

I have quad Mikuni's I'd like to fit to a 4AG one day...

#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Reuban
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Hawkes Bay
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Reuban

Post by Reuban »

trumpets on the 20v quad throttle bodies i think

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

Oh ok... not so familiar with the 20v myself eh. Thanks Reub.
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

krupkee
Guest of the Club.

Post by krupkee »

Been working on this quite a bit recently,
-interior is all done bar re-dying the bucket seat and bolting it in
-T-tops have been re-installed, previously has sheet metal riveted over the whole thing. Just fit around the rollcage, but there are no levers or trim on them so have to use vice-grips!
-Engine is all running good (I think), clutch stopped working when I went to reverse out of garage, no leaks so probably just needs re-bleeding, hopefully the line didn't get kinked during engine swap

Going to try vinyl wrapping it white with black roof, if that don't work then I will just re-spray it but thought I would try something different. Hopefully start on that after giving the exterior a good clean.

Engine bay lid isn't on because it hits the rollcage, thinking about using a sheet of lexan and bonnet pins or something similar.

Pics:

Ash Kelly Barr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Ash

Post by Ash Kelly Barr »

Nice to see an update! I like the rims :)
Let us know how the wrap goes
Toyota motors:
Current - 89 AW11 factory manual SC
Sold - 74 Toyota Crown wagon (MS63), Holden 308, TH400 trans

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: mike

Post by Mike n Rochelle »

Mint keep up the good work. Cant wait to see it done, should sound nuts with the open quads.

krupkee
Guest of the Club.

Post by krupkee »

wrapping didn't go too well, I did a few smaller parts and it was OK, did half the bonnet well but shows up all the flaws, looked a bit crap.

Decided to do plan B and paint it so got an air orbital sander and did half the car today..too hot

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

I've done a big of vinyl wrapping on my SW20. The door mirrors had faded and pealing paint so I sanded it back smooth before I wrapped it. I also sanded off the part numbers, mold lines and other little bits to give the vinyl a smooth finish. Painting may not be needed if you get a smooth surface to vinyl over. Although vinyl won't last as long as a good paint coating.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

flying_wedge
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Mark

Post by flying_wedge »

Love RPF1s. I don't think Enkei do them in low offsets on a 15" rim though.
For the engine lid if it was me I would cut off the hinges and the latch + associated bits and just do 4 x bonnet pins. Or better still, track down a fibreglass supercharged lid and do the same with 4 x bonnet pins.
Much less work involved in this than a sheet of lexan with vents/grills cutout, which you will still need to hold in place with 4 x bonnet pins.

I might have missed it, but what happened to your old AW from ClubAW/Maxpower days?

Love the silver stacks too. Look like 100mm ones? Keeping mid-rpm torque. Going to run filters over them or just leave as is because race car?

flying_wedge
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Mark

Post by flying_wedge »

Also could I request pics from roll cage inside? Do you still have all interior trim? Did your cage builder tie the front bar to through the firewall to the front struts?