vrtigo's 4AGTE AW11

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
vrtigo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Cameron

vrtigo's 4AGTE AW11

Post by vrtigo »

Right. Hello.

Some of you know me, Ive been to a grand total of one cruise with the Auckland crew. Ive since not attended a single one, but for good reason - been working on the car. But Ill get to that.

Here she is fyi.

Beast. Had it about 6 years now, and has progressively gotten worse looking, but for a reason - poured as much money as I could spare (which until recently hasnt been a lot) into bits that arent for show.

Summary of stuff done:
- Poly engine mounts
- Uprated fuel pump
- Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
- Braided brake lines
- 20v starter motor on intake side (thank you Toyota for your foresight with the C52 ears)
- Custom 2.5in twin outlet exhaust with 20v headers
- Facelift front lip (really buggered though)
- Facelift tail lights (for dat mad jdm)
- Battery relocated to frunk
- W2A intercooler and water pumps mounted
- Wideband O2 sensor and gauge
- Megasquirt ECU

The latest thing, done in the last month, is the pièce de résistance - swapped to my rebuilt smallport 4AGZE, which, after break in, will have a turbo slung on the side. Specs:
- Cleaned, acid dipped
- Completely reconditioned - bored to 81.5, honed
- Rods shotpeened
- Rotating assembly balanced
- 8.9:1 compression
- Oil squirters
- Bigport cams for slightly more chooch factor
- ARP head studs and flywheel bolts
- TRD MLS head gasket
- ACL race series bearings
- Sump baffle with gate
- Adjustable cam gears
- New clutch, fairly grippy, but nothing over the top
- Lightweight flywheel

Not the first engine Ive assembled, but the first one that Ive assembled and FIRED UP. Sounds beautiful. There were a number of problems to solve, but they are all done now except for one - when the engine is running, it wont go into gear. Worked on that problem for a little bit, but dont really have enough time these days, so letting my mechanic solve that one. Hopefully it doesnt require dropping the gearbox again. Really keen to get the thing on the road!!

Anyway, heres pics:

And first start video - success!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW_-cWcfQtw

Thanks for your time, more to come...
Last edited by vrtigo on Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Re: vrtigo's weekend track-hack but otherwise daily driver AW11

Post by Statek »

Sweet! Another race car AW 8)
Looks like I'll need more power to be able to keep up with you when you're done though :twisted:
Will be keen to catch up with you sometime. Good luck getting it all finished and driveable!
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

flying_wedge
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Mark

Post by flying_wedge »

Looking real nice, will be quite the alrounder when you are done. Have you had it on the track?

vrtigo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by vrtigo »

I have been to Manfield for a blat around in 2011 with Toyspeed - quickly found it lacking in power, but also had a known blown head gasket, so was using water and overheating. That was the first engine it had - I believe a first gen 3-rib bigport. I started building the smallport GZE not long after, meanwhile replacing it with a 2nd gen 7-rib bigport, which has served me well for the past 3 years while I got everything ready. So this is its third engine! Hopefully the last for a long, long time. This smallport has been a project for 4 years! And the first engine Ive rebuilt and heard fire up. Such a good feeling.

ptayler56
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Paul

Post by ptayler56 »

Great to see another AW11 that will get to see track time! Looking forward to catching up with you some time. I've been doing a few autocross events lately and find they are a great way to have some fun with the nimble little MR2. Keep an eye on the motorsports thread for future events that I'm going to. :)
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." - George Bernard S

vrtigo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by vrtigo »

Just picked the car back up yesterday after a month in the shop. The lightweight flywheel and new clutch had to be taken off, and the old parts put back on. Oh well, it goes into gear now at least. They gave it a look over, took it for a quick drive, replaced a few bolt on bits, retorqued the head studs, adjusted the camshaft timing, gave it a break in drive of 50km, and then gave it the green light. Shes running beautifully! A little lacking in power down low, probably due to lower compression, slightly more aggressive cams, rings and bearings still breaking in, and fuelling not being optimal due to no factory o2 sensor and slightly larger injectors (which will be fixed with I switch back to the Megasquirt). I havent taken it over 4k too much, but when I do, it wakes the [Expletive Deleted] up in a hurry!

Cant wait for the 500km break in to be done, so I can fit the turbo.

Until then, I need to sort out the oil filter relocation kit, fit a breather filter or plumb and mount a catch can with filter, and remount the intercooler. And sort out the wiring and plumbing of the intercooler. Work work!

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

vrtigo wrote:A little lacking in power down low, probably due to lower compression, slightly more aggressive cams
Just these or shorter intake runners will result in a loss of low down torque. This happened to me when I swapped my NA runners for turbo runners which are shorter. Or it could be the torque curve is more flat and power more peaky now than before because of the new cams.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

vrtigo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by vrtigo »

Figured out the lack of power down low - the ignition timing needed advancing slightly. Mechanic said not to touch it, well, he did it wrong :P Now feels very much like my old engine again. Also did a compression test, which resulted in values of 170, 175, 165, 170 - so pretty happy with that.

About 700km done now, first oil change revealed pristine oil and filter, not a flake of metal in sight.

Been interrupted in my project by moving to a new apartment, but for now I am happy with a car that drives well. Turbo can wait for the time being. Before it can go on, I need to mount the oil filter relocation kit, but also sort out the Megasquirt which is now turning off completely after 30 seconds or so. Going to try running some new grounds, and hopefully that will help stop its protection triggering. Megasquirts definitely seem to be more picky about power and inputs than the stock ECU. Its still running kind of rich.

*84vvt
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Colin

Post by *84vvt »

Its still running kind of rich.

No O2 and lager that stock injectors will do that
Boosted cars are like hot women.
A little edgy, every guy wants one,
some guys can't handle them,
and if you throw a little alcohol in them they'll rock your world.

vrtigo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by vrtigo »

Oil filter is relocated, and have sorted out the lines for the turbo. That goes on today!

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

I'm looking forward to seeing this wee beast on a run Cameron. 8)

:arrow: And if any of you guys get into track time / gymkhanas / 2k Cup etc... please post your exploits up in the motor-sports section. :idea:

That part of the forum could grow into a totally cool read for us all if all the guys into track time etc shared their adventures there with us. :mrgreen:
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

vrtigo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by vrtigo »

Ok, best that I update this. The silver AW11 is legally off the road long-term - couldnt pass WOF due to structural rust, so it was deregistered. To fill the gap, I bought Stateks yellow-and-black AW, and plan to swap all the good bits over to it. The new car has everything done that I hadnt already done, mostly bodywork and suspension/wheel related. Eventually I will sell the silver car, hopefully to someone who will repair it and bring it back to road worthiness.

In the meantime, Ive continued with the turbo project, using the silver car as a test-bed - might as well put it to use! Its actually been a score, having two identical cars - can leave the silver car in whatever state of disrepair I feel like. The GZE smallport now has the turbo bolted on (TD05HR-16G), and I am in the process of tuning - made it up to 8psi so far, but with a significant exhaust leak at the manifold flange that I need to find time to sort out. Even at half my target boost, the thing flies like a rocket! Cant wait to fix the leaks (exhaust, boost maybe, oil), and get it into the yellow car.

vrtigo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by vrtigo »

Oh yea, using 440cc 7MGTE injectors, but might need upgrading soon - already nearing their limit!

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Post by Statek »

I'm very keen to see the YellAW car on boost! Put some pics up one day Cam.. I miss it.
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

vrtigo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by vrtigo »

Progress has been made. Bought an air compresor, because it was a great deal and came with a bunch of air tools and fittings, including the ones I needed to make my boost pressure tester. Also bought a plumping type end cap, and threw it on the car - found a bunch of boost leaks, and fixed them. The manifold leak has been sorted now, too, so it actually sounds pleasant (other than a horrible rattle in the muffler). Also found that the wastegate flap was loose. Initially thought the rod wasnt adjustable, and Id have to splash out for a brand new Kinugawa actuator, but on closer inspection, it is, so I just tightened it up and gave it a bit of preload. The difference with all of these tweaks is stark - boost comes on almost immediately. I dont have data logs just yet, but its somewhere around 2500-3000 RPM, and shoots up to 10psi very quickly. Havent taken it past there yet, because that area of the tune is not set in stone. Its becoming serious now!

So will be looking at getting the muffler repaired soon. The other problem that has popped up, possibly due to my adjusting the wastegate, is a rattle-like "tink-tink-tink" sound coming from the turbo area, which I dearly hope is not compressor blades impacting the housing, though Im sure it wouldnt be now running if it was. Still makes good and reliable boost, and shaft play is normal. I think perhaps the wastegate doesnt have enough preload, or perhaps the rod is simply hitting something. Will dive under the car tonight and check.