Oil Starvation Discussion

Tyres / rust repairs & bodywork / lubrication etc - please post topics such as these that are not specific to any model of MR2 here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions that don't fit into the more specific areas of the technical section and that may apply to any type of MR2. E.g. tyres, bodywork and rust repairs, lubrication etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: Oil Starvation Discussion

Post by Benckj »

Malcolm wrote:Don't you have a megasquirt? Can't they do logging? If not you could tack on $100 with of Arduino bits and make something that works. Aren't you an engineer of some type?
Yes I have a Megasquirt, can datalog but lack an oil pressure sensor and track to play on. Like you I don't believe I have an oil starvation issue due to better gen 3 sump, pump and return lines.

This thread was purely to discuss issues and failures with other owners to try and determine common failure modes with the aim of prevention. Granted it's only empirical ingormation provided by those who have had or avoided a failure.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Can I just state the obvious? Don't do motorsport in a car not designed for it. Be proactive about preventing problems, instead of reacting to it once it's happened. The modification list varies with what application you are using the car in though.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

Wayne
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Accusump
Gated and resized sump
Or dry sump
Those are the options
By the time your oil light is on .. it's over , you won't be abike to react fast enough to save it .
As for oil type etc ... it's a red hearing

thelinuxwarrior
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Shane

Post by thelinuxwarrior »

Look at the 2kcup MR2s.
Gen2 engines were going bang like anything,
Don't believe there has been a single Gen3 failure all season (just finished).

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

That's a good indicator that gen3 oil delivery is superior to older design. How many gen3 engines participated in 2k cup?
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

thelinuxwarrior
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Shane

Post by thelinuxwarrior »

5x Gen3 MR2s I believe.
There we some gen 3 celicas also, but don't have a count etc.

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

That is more than I would have expected. So if we consider everything being equal between the MR2's what are the improvements over engine components which make the NA gen 3's better than gen 2's?
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by JasonFriday13 »

This sounds more like a project management meeting than a discussion.

The main difference I think is the sump design. The pump itself is the same on all SW20's, it's just the housing is different due to oil filter location. Surely someone has already discussed this before, why are we doing it again?
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Yes, sump and filter location is different but also.........
Gen3's run a larger flowing oil pump but may be only the larger sprocket that is different?
Don't the gen 3's have a different head with larger cooling & oil ports?
Any other contributing factors?

BTW we are doing this again as we keep destroying engines. Either we are not changing what is required or we don't understand the problem.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

EssDub
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Outside of New Zealand
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Graham

Post by EssDub »

Or, owners are just driving/maintaining the cars like retards and letting the oil run low, while trying to improve their individual 'Takumi' driving techniques.

Willful ignorance is a dangerous thing, especially if those who are grenading their motors read any kind of decent forums on the issues.

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Alright then, I'm just not going to participate any further. I've stated my opinion, and from here on I think this is just raising awareness about it.

vrtigo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Cameron

Post by vrtigo »

Baffle the sump. Cant recommend this highly enough. At least on the 4AGE, the oil pickup is surrounded by a plate with the intent to keep oil in the right spot, but its not enough. I would weld up the holes in order to create a barrier for oil, so it stays near the pickup.

I would also at the minimum install these: https://twosrus.com/catalog/product_inf ... cts_id=889

Mike n Rochelle
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: mike

Post by Mike n Rochelle »

Cameron have you put the baffle kit on? Was did you see any value in it?
I have to sort my sump so I can fit my 4agzte. Welding up the holes in the existing baffle sounds like a start and the Acusump is a good move if you want to spend the money but my car is costing way too much now and I have a OTT hilux to finish too so DIY sump mods would be good :D
4AGZTE AW11 in progress, there is paint and I have lots of bits but still need allot more. Probably end up retired before this ever sees the road.
3sgte SW20 pain in the ass. Long gone
3SGE SW20 Rochelles car, actually road legal and working!!!!! LOL POS is always broken, wasting away in one garage.
2x AW and 1x SW in the process of being cut up for the crap man. Also long gone.
AW car I cant decide what to do with (Steeling parts off it while I decide) Deregd. Also long gone to scrap.