E153 LSD whine and recommendations

Tyres / rust repairs & bodywork / lubrication etc - please post topics such as these that are not specific to any model of MR2 here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions that don't fit into the more specific areas of the technical section and that may apply to any type of MR2. E.g. tyres, bodywork and rust repairs, lubrication etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
chief1eye
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Ross

E153 LSD whine and recommendations

Post by chief1eye »

Looks like Ive picked up a whine in the LSD, after changing the oil and changing the engine to a 400ftlb monster. Took one good spin at the the recent track day and it started not long after that. Changed the gearbox oil a couple of times but whine is getting worst if anything. Noticeable when coming off the power or rapid deaceleration at high speed. When it comes to the actual gearbox and shifting its as sweet as it has always been, so other than the whine starting there is no issue.

Looking for advice in general on whines from the gearbox (LSD) and also if I was to replace recommendations. Obviously its putting down a lot more torque than the standard stock set up. 360hp( 260kw) and 400ftlbs (550NM).

Is anyone running aftermarket like Cusco, Quaife or KAAZ?

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Re: E153 LSD whine and recommendations

Post by GDII »

Is yours a factory viscous LSD? The LSD itself can't really whine, at least this type of LSD, it will be the final ratio doing that. The viscous LSD is a sealed unit and does not rely on the oil you put in the gearbox.

On the other hand a KAAZ, CUSCO or TRD plate diff is different. But still the plates wouldn't cause a whine. The Quaife ATB LSD could whine but the way it works means it shouldn't when driving normally. Only when you lift a wheel.

I know this is E153 but my S54 has whined for my entire 10 year ownership. It is coming from the diff.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

In my experience the oil is the kicker Ross. Makes a huge difference, whatever the car.

My SW runs Redline heavy shock. Try it if you haven't mate. Handles this:
B00STN 370KW pump gas dyno sheet.jpg
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

chief1eye
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by chief1eye »

mickeyduck wrote:In my experience the oil is the kicker Ross. Makes a huge difference, whatever the car.

My SW runs Redline heavy shock. Try it.

Initially I changed the really old oil to Penrite Pro gear 75W-90 thats sort of when it started at the Taupo track. Then I read a lot on the forums and have changed to to the Redline lightweight shockproof.
Probably whining a little more? Not terrible. Worth giving the Redline heavy a go you reckon??

Mate that dyno sheet is insane! Gotta get that thing to the track soon Charlie!!!

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

chief1eye wrote:
mickeyduck wrote:In my experience the oil is the kicker Ross. Makes a huge difference, whatever the car.

My SW runs Redline heavy shock. Try it.

Initially I changed the really old oil to Penrite Pro gear 75W-90 thats sort of when it started at the Taupo track. Then I read a lot on the forums and have changed to to the Redline lightweight shockproof.
Probably whining a little more? Not terrible. Worth giving the Redline heavy a go you reckon??

Mate that dyno sheet is insane! Gotta get that thing to the track soon Charlie!!!
Ha ha no mate gotta get it going. Bloody thing. :roll: But yeah, try the heavy shock. For heavy grunt. :twisted:
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

2nd the Redline shockproof recommendation although I’d lean toward the LWSP.

On the LSD I’ve seen proof from rebuild pics that the fluid used is the trans fluid. I often though it was a sealed unit but believe otherwise now. Best to change over to the Redline and see if it makes a diff ( no pun intended).
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

GDII

Post by GDII »

Benckj wrote:2nd the Redline shockproof recommendation although I’d lean toward the LWSP.

On the LSD I’ve seen proof from rebuild pics that the fluid used is the trans fluid. I often though it was a sealed unit but believe otherwise now. Best to change over to the Redline and see if it makes a diff ( no pun intended).
Show me this proof. I'm keen to learn.

My understanding with the viscous LSD is that it uses a very thick oil inside the unit to 'lock' the housing to the output spline once the speed differential gets high enough.
A KAAZ, CUSCO, TRD and Quaife LSD does use the gearbox oil.

This is from Toyota themselves. Sure it's not the same differential we are talking about but it's the same concept.
https://youtu.be/qY3ZE5yevOQ?t=17m27s

chief1eye
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by chief1eye »

yep. there seems to be quite a bit of debate in the US forum around the LSD being sealed /not sealed

seems to be a concensus that they are not totally sealed, see this link http://www.mr2oc.com/188-v6-mr2-forum/4 ... luids.html

GDII

Post by GDII »

OK I stand corrected. This particular viscous 'LSD' isn't a sealed unit. They are definitely built different to the open diff though.

THR4SHER007
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Logan

Post by THR4SHER007 »

How did you get that to produce so much torque?
Current:
1991 MR2 G-Limited Manual Hard top
1998 Camry Gracia
Previous:
2004 Toyota Crown Majesta
2018 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401
2008 Toyota Blade Master G
2018 Yamaha YZF R3
1994 Celica ST202 Manual
Follow my Instagram @: https://www.instagram.com/logansunnex/

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

THR4SHER007 wrote:

How did you get that to produce so much torque?
It’s tractive effort at the rollers. It’s multiplied by the diff ratio.

THR4SHER007
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Logan

Post by THR4SHER007 »

Cool, thanks
Current:
1991 MR2 G-Limited Manual Hard top
1998 Camry Gracia
Previous:
2004 Toyota Crown Majesta
2018 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401
2008 Toyota Blade Master G
2018 Yamaha YZF R3
1994 Celica ST202 Manual
Follow my Instagram @: https://www.instagram.com/logansunnex/

Gleshlich
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Justin

Post by Gleshlich »

+1 for Redline LWSP. Expensive but well worth it

Looks like it should taste like bubblegum but it definitely doesn't.
Is it only at higher speeds that it does the whine? Just one gear or multiple?
Current:
1989 V6 Widebody SW
1996 EK Civic Hatch
2007 BMW 335i Touring

chief1eye
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by chief1eye »

I'll have to have another listen to find out exactly when. Noticeable at hard breaking - deaceleration from speed like 140 - 160 kph. And when in like 3rd when coming off the power, but I'll have to have a closer look to confirm exactly when. Does anyone else experience some whining symptons from their transmission?

Malcolm
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Generally I think you'll get whine when you don't have enough clearance between a pair of gears, or you have damaged teeth running against each other. If it gets louder with speed rather than engine rpm, it pretty much means it's the bevel drive on the diff. For it to have occurred suddenly it's more likely to be damage rather than a clearance issue. It could also possibly be the tapered roller bearings that support the diff getting a bit too worn.

If you're lucky it's only minor damage and it might be sufficiently masked with a different oil choice, but it could also continue to get worse until it fails... My old gtfour developed a whine after a hard night at Meremere. It got worse the faster you went, and a couple of weeks later the bevel drive to the tailshaft output completely stripped.