Request for recommendations for water to air intercooler pumps??

Tyres / rust repairs & bodywork / lubrication etc - please post topics such as these that are not specific to any model of MR2 here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions that don't fit into the more specific areas of the technical section and that may apply to any type of MR2. E.g. tyres, bodywork and rust repairs, lubrication etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Mr-Paulio
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Paul

Request for recommendations for water to air intercooler pumps??

Post by Mr-Paulio »

Hey guys,
So I bought this water pump for my water to air intercooler system.
Screenshot_20190424-201211_AliExpress.jpg

Granted it's cheap.
I have 19mm (3/4") lines, mostly soild lines. From the front to the back. I guess it's just too much distance for it and doesn't seem to be moving much water.
I've been considering perhaps a second pump? Or using a marine water pump which should be more powerful.

But I am really interested if anyone else has done something similar? Had a similar issue? And what you have used or would recommend?? Before I waste more money on another useless pump!
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Re: Request for recommendations for water to air intercooler pumps??

Post by mknz »

How long (in seconds) does it take to fill up a 5L container through the system? I'm trying to get a numerical understanding of what you mean by much.

Are you running a front radiator for the W2A? It'll be quite a bit longer than most front engine setups if so.

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Is it mounted at the lowest point in the cooling system? What is the flow rate vs something like a Celica GT-FOUR pump? I know, you can't get these new anymore but as a reference for a know pump that does work on an MR2 with a front mounted cooler.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Mr-Paulio

Post by Mr-Paulio »

So as far as flow goes straight from the pump it would squirt a few meters. At the other end of the vehicle it's a trickle. So more about the resistance of pressure it can/can't handle. Than its flow, unrestricted that is anyway.
Yes the pump is mounted at the lowest point. Under the steering rack. Between the front mounted heat exchanger and the IC in the boot. Here are the stats on the pump. Which doesnt really help me much.
Screenshot_20190422-153944_Chrome.jpg

Mr-Paulio

Post by Mr-Paulio »

Been looking at something like this.
Screenshot_20190424-204634_Chrome.jpg
The trouble is it has smaller inlet/outlet and a pressure switch I would need to get rid of, if possible.
Or try to find something similar without the pressure switch and with 19mm fittings. (Or adapt the fittings)

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

Yeah you'll definitely need a better pump then.

I'm thinking bilge pumps like what's on boats are a good option. If you put them just after the radiator (preferably at the height bottom of the system) they won't suffer from heat destroying them and they're push not pull. They'll be cheap and plentiful in NZ hopefully. They should be 12V because boats and have a high flow rate. You'll need to check the pressure spec though

Mr-Paulio

Post by Mr-Paulio »

Yeah so further research I found a few people have had issues with the Chinese knock off's of these Bosh pumps. Which seem to fliw worse than pumps half its size.

I have a friend who has a marine pump similar to what I posted above. It's not a bilge pump, I don't think those are adequate. But a fresh water supply pump. (Also for RV's, caravans etc) I'm goung to borrow that for a test run before I spend money.

I am still very intrested to see what other people have used or had experience with?

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

I run a Toyota pump from a ST205 engine on my A2W system. They are robust, reliable and push a large quantity of water. Every now and then the components will pop up for sale but I’ll bet with a little chasing you can find one here for a reasonable price.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Mr-Paulio

Post by Mr-Paulio »

Benckj wrote:I run a Toyota pump from a ST205 engine on my A2W system. They are robust, reliable and push a large quantity of water. Every now and then the components will pop up for sale but I’ll bet with a little chasing you can find one here for a reasonable price.
Okay cool. Thanks. Does your set up has the heat exchanger at the front of the car?

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

No my HE is under boot but it is the ST205 one along with lines and a reservoir I made to help transfer heat and allow unrestrictive supply to pump. Flow rate is very good as can tell from swirling under IC rad cap. I have no doubt it would be fine for your application.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

tw2
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

A month late but my other car has a OEM W2A IC setup. The stock bosch pump is very good for normal sized circuits, ie front engined with a single heat exchanger. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/merced ... 0392022010

Most guys doing crazy stuff use the superflow pump. These are the ones with tanks in the boot and multiple heat exchangers. The downside, they are very expensive https://vrpspeed.com/product/vrp-superflo/

I might even have my old bosch pump if you want to try it. I am pretty sure it still worked as I never heat soaked, I only changed it due to upgrades. Things like the Johnson CM30 pumps are not very good. The CM90 is ok but no better than the bosch. All you need is to keep the water slowly moving, there will be so much thermal capacity that you will never heat soak it as long as the intercooler is big enough.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato