Longest Day Take 2

Events include those run by the Club and those run by others which are of interest to Club Members (e.g. track days). Events may be posted or run by any financial club member but an Area Coordinator or Committee may step in. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership

Moderators: Moderators, Area Coordinators

Forum rules
Events may be posted and run by any financial club member but are subject to moderation by an Area Coordinator or Committee. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership
optional
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Keith

Longest Day Take 2

Post by optional »

The Longest Day - Take 2
There has been some interest in the Lower North Island to repeat the "Longest Day" Tour.
For those who were not involved or just can't remember, the idea was to traverse the North Island from East to West, following the sun (sort of).
As we did it last time the tour started in Hicks Bay just after dawn and finished in New Plymouth the following night, staying overnight in Taumaranui.
Since, last time round, all participants were from the lower North Island we actually met up in Gisborne and traveled to Hicks Bay together, around the south coast of East Cape. The route was through Whakatane, Rotorua, Whakamaru, then around western side of Lake Taupo to Taumaranui. The second day took us through The Forgotten Highway and Whangamomona, and Stratford to New Plymouth.
Now, since Covid and recent weather events, there may be issues with both accomodation and road closures. Therefore it may not be possible to exactly duplicate the previous run. However I will investigate and make a more detailed plan, if there is sufficient interest. We would also need to consider what time of the year to do this. School Holidays are probably not ideal, especially Christmas School Holidays. It is probably not ideal to attempt this in the Late Autumn to late Spring, due to to possible weather issues. I would suggest that February March or Possibly November is best.
If you are interested please let me know by P.M., or on this thread, or text me on 027 432 1871.
Keith Heginbotham
OPTIONAL
Manawatu A.C.

UPDATE
Answers to Questions you may be asking:
1. Petrol should not be a problem unless your car is exceptionally thirsty (or you right foot is stupidly heavy). All varieties are available in Gisborne,
Whakatane, Rotorua, possibly Whakamaru, Taumaranui and Stratford.
2. Motels used last time are still open, as far as I can tell: Hicks Bay and Kelly's in Taumaranui.
3 I am planning on February rather than November, earlier in Feb rather than later to avoid any clash with the AGM. If anyone has a particular
preference regarding dates let me know, I will try to work around it.

pbaron
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Pierre

Re: Longest Day Take 2

Post by pbaron »

I would be keen on doing this one again, cheers.
SW20 project car

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Sounds like an awesome road trip. I'd actually be keen if I can swing the time off work. A bit of a hop for me though, as I live in Alexandra so may need to rename to Longest Week.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

chewbaby
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Craig

Post by chewbaby »

Hello from Craig in Rotorua, i could be a contender ! Several years ago i did a run with the MR2 Club thru the Forgotten Hwy to NP and was great fun. I would join up in Rotorua if you came thru here. I am a member of a local Citz Club here and can speak with management regarding accommodation. The Club has nice rooms above the Club in the CBD and prices are very reasonable. The Club has a Courtesy Van and a Restaurant with good food at good value or maybe just a Big Burger and Chips for about $10. There are 5 Pool Tables and 3 Snooker and drinks are cheaper than in Pubs. Have a think about and get back to me please. We could book ahead. There is a car park but not huge ! Maybe 20 spots. Some could park i believe quite safely on the street as Club has cameras and being in the City there is always traffic using both streets as Club is on a busy corner. cheers Craig ZL1ER (CHEWBABY)
1999 SW20 White Hard Top Manual Turbo
1990 SW20 Yellow Targa Auto
1988 Honda Prelude x4 wheel steering Manual
1990 Honda Prelude (rare) Si States 2.2 x4 ws Auto

gahirst
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Greg

Post by gahirst »

I might actually be able to join in this time. You'll be ending up in my home town so why not. Better get gutless running nicely.
2007 Audi RS4
1990 MR2 (SW20) G-Limited
1992 MR2 (SW20) V6 (2GR-FE) Race Car

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

Can you get gas all tghe way round Test
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: James

Post by Swampy »

I'm keen
I'm easy re dates. Just prefer cheap accommodation.
100% won't be in an mr2. Might have to get my A into G and get the WRX ready. And give you all some awd subaru goodness.
It'll be good to see some familiar faces again and meet some new mr2 aficionados.
In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~