SW20 TOMS REPLICA Taillight Louvres

General discussions.
Please post in other areas if more suitable (eg technical, for sale etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please post in other areas if more suitable (eg technical, for sale etc...) Use of the General section to circumvent correct use of other forum sections may result in posts being deleted or forum permissions being revoked. Thank you.
james_zemah
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: James

SW20 TOMS REPLICA Taillight Louvres

Post by james_zemah »

The title says it all. Decided to make a set of Taillight Louvres inspired by the TOMS motorsport ones from Japan (in the early 2000s i believe?).

TOMS louvres were made of plastic and being an aftermarket part weren't very common at the time. They're considered highly desirable now and nobody ever sells them if they have one. I made this particular set from 6mm wide 304 stainless steel square bars. I plan to start fabricating more in some months time when I've moved (yea I'm a bit busy). I would guess the ultimate material would be Aluminium as its easy to form, weld, doesn't corrode like plastic, and weighs about the same (This also adds anodizing as a colouring option). I would also like to make a jig as that'd make the bending process significantly quicker, easier, and more accurate than a vice and a piece of tube like I did with these steel ones. The mounts need work but they are sturdily fastened to the 2 screws of the taillight assembly under the bootlid and the 2 lower screws under the corner lenses on either side.

Not necessarily striking up business, rather just gauging interest as I know this is the place where people like to see stuff like this being done even if its entirely not to their taste.

-Below is some progress pics. In the replies will be a stock image of original TOMS Louvres for reference.

Last edited by james_zemah on Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

james_zemah
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Re: SW20 TOMS REPLICA Taillight Louvres

Post by james_zemah »

Genuine TOMS Louvres

gruk
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington

Post by gruk »

Interested
'90 SW20 NA - White NZ new T-Top

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Swampy »

Ferrari 348 style! They're awesome and I think there would be a market out there for them.
Daily: 96 AE101R Corolla
Weekend: 95 Impreza WRX
Will Fix: 91 SW20
Past: 04 Swift, 94 Nissan Serena, 87 Prelude
~ 4 Runs ~

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

I'd be keen on a set, as well as the extended tail light center piece, if you decided to make them. Finding things to keep them time period locked is awesome, it just helps make them feel that much more special
President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 1997 Sprinter Carib Z-Touring
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Nice one, never seen a set of these in person so not sure if you could still access boot lock, WOF issues, reverse lights, etc.

Apart from the obvious protection to light damage (like 4wd's) is there any functional purpose for this mod? I do like the visual appearance on the older type lights & centre piece but think it would not go so well on later model Kouki lights. Maybe if used on a black car rather than my white version??
Attachments
IMG_0195-1.JPG
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

It's definitely designed for the zenki lights and centre panels.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE swap early stages)
1996 AE101 Corolla Sprint NZ New Daily
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

james_zemah
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by james_zemah »

I feel as if you were to try putting them on Koukis it would clash quite badly. What you could get away with is making a grill centre panel and then adding a grill tint along the Koukis except for in the round lens parts. Just an idea though, might try it myself.

As soon as I move out (current bloody MISSION) I want to get a hold of a Kouki centre panel and make a grill with the spare material I have left and add a mesh behind it and possible a laser cut steel badge (similar to Toms T020 centre panel). I feel as though that would look badass for the Koukis, because I know a number of people who run Koukis stick with the rev1 centre trim just because they like the style. Personally I would too, very much not a fan of the flush mount.

I'll keep this thread updated with any progress I make with regards to bulk manufacturing. Right now I'm looking at ~$200 per Replica Grill, and yea I'm dead set on aluminium being the best material to use given the weight and sturdiness. I will find a way to make them standoff from the lenses to prevent scratching, currently looking at rubberhead bolts. We'll see.

Bobby Bong
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Outside of New Zealand
First name: Bobby

Post by Bobby Bong »

COUNT ME IN AS AN ABSOLUTE YES!!!!
Just tell me when you could ship one to me (in the USA- I'll gladly pay shipping fees) and I'll send you the cash!
Feel free to contact me immediately or at your convenience.
Bobby Bong
barmstrongster@gmail.com

james_zemah
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by james_zemah »

Bobby Bong wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 7:37 am
COUNT ME IN AS AN ABSOLUTE YES!!!!
Just tell me when you could ship one to me (in the USA- I'll gladly pay shipping fees) and I'll send you the cash!
Feel free to contact me immediately or at your convenience.
Bobby Bong
barmstrongster@gmail.com
Hey there bud, glad to see you are interested.

I know this thread is somewhat dated and in all honesty I have been slack, but I do want to kick this project into gear by the end of June. Currently tossing up now whether Aluminium or Fiberglass would be a better option, though the first batch will be aluminium as I've never used fibreglass before. I'm surprised being in the states you're still interested, as I believe a fellow enthusiast by the name of Jasper had plans to make them over in the states, possibly be worth doing some recon in the FB groups.

Nonetheless, I am willing to organize shipping to the states and other overseas options. Perhaps I should get the first batch done (I'm thinking maybe 4 or 5) and test them locally, then get some honest reviews as to ways I could improve the product, shortly before doing larger quantities and shipping overseas. I will let you know personally via email when I begin assembling the next ones.

To let yall know, I am still planning this and I am very willing to organize bulk shipping to the states and other overseas areas, however these products do take time, I'm honestly only seeing enough free time to make 1 per week, and thats also at the mercy of my workplace allowing me to use welding tools and consumables.

Cheers lads
JAMES BURBERRY | HAMILTON | 06-02-2001
The guy who Replicated TOMS taillight Louvres
Message via Forum or FB for Inquiries.

1998 Nissan Pulsar (2017-2020 RIP :cry:)
2004 Subaru Legacy 3.0 (2020-2020)
1991 MR2 SW20 G-Limited (2020 - Current Daily & Resto Project)

james_zemah
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by james_zemah »

UPDATE 14/06/21

So I've talked with our material sources and it looks like Aluminium is a no-go. This is an unfortunate setback however I will still consider making them out of stainless the same way as I did prototype no.1

Come Monday 28th I will begin work on the the first one available for local test fitting/purchasing. In the meantime, I'll be finalizing the mounts and rubber stops for preventing the louvers from sagging and scratching lenses. Any suggestions are welcome. These will be suited to fit ZENKI taillights (89-93), although they should still fit Koukis also. I don't have a pair to verify this with however.

Because construction remains the same and consumables will be more expensive due to stainless being the only option, the total I would sell these for is ~$300nzd per set (with fittings and paintjob). I will be making this one alot higher quality than Prototype no.1 with more solid welding, thicker mounts, and hopefully sleeker fitment. I have been running Prototype no.1 on my car for several months now with no issues aside from minimal sag due to the mounts warping.
I would like to make one for somebody else's car and get some feedback on it before making more units. If you would like to express interest in test fitting or purchasing this, please email me at jamesburberry110.2@gmail.com. Please also bare in mind this fitment test proposition is directed at the Auckland/Waikato group as that is where I'm located.

Cheers all -James

JAMES BURBERRY | HAMILTON | 06-02-2001
The guy who Replicated TOMS taillight Louvres
Message via Forum or FB for Inquiries.

1998 Nissan Pulsar (2017-2020 RIP :cry:)
2004 Subaru Legacy 3.0 (2020-2020)
1991 MR2 SW20 G-Limited (2020 - Current Daily & Resto Project)

gruk
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by gruk »

Still keen, but I’m Wellington based so will be happy to wait.
'90 SW20 NA - White NZ new T-Top

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

Still keen here as well, Welly based too. Will wait to see what you can come up!
President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 1997 Sprinter Carib Z-Touring
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero