What's it worth?

General discussions.
Please post in other areas if more suitable (eg technical, for sale etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please post in other areas if more suitable (eg technical, for sale etc...) Use of the General section to circumvent correct use of other forum sections may result in posts being deleted or forum permissions being revoked. Thank you.
flyingllama
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Chris

Insurance for an AW11

Post by flyingllama »

Hi everyone,

I have my 1987 G Limited SC AW11 (Targa Top) insured with AA for $5k, and I'm currently in the process of restoring it to as close to showroom as I can manage (fixing a few dings, all new paint, fixing interior and exterior trim, etc), and I'm now looking into getting it's agreed value increased - which is proving difficult. According to their "all knowing" book of car values an AW11 is only worth 2-3k, and according to their out of date salesman a Supercharged AW11 only sells for 2k on TradeMe (I wish I bought mine that cheap and in this condition).

I have a few questions for you all:
1) Am I just dreaming when I think that an AW11 in an excellent condition should be worth 8-9k? As this is essentially what I'm aiming for.

2) Do we have anyone in the club who is able to give accurate car valuations? I ask because AA have said the only way they'll increase the agreed value is if I give them some sort of proof.

3) Failing the above, does anyone recommend another insurance company who properly understands the value of modern-classic cars?

I'd also just add that I have no intention of selling this AW11 (this is my childhood dream coming true in my adult years), I want to get the correct valuation for this car so that if someone else writes it off I might be able to purchase another AW11 in similar condition.

Thanks so much for your time!

Chris
Last edited by flyingllama on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just call me Chris.

1987 MR2 AW11 SC, Manual

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Al

Re: Insurance for an AW11

Post by Alsw20 »

Move it to classic cover. Limited mileage but they will agree on a higher value.
1992 G Limited

flyingllama
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by flyingllama »

Thanks for the reply, I will definitely check them out.

I was also able to get a quote from Vero who (after some debate) agreed to insure it for $7k. However for an extra $2k of cover, it was going to cost me an extra $750 a year over what I'm paying at AA. However it is possible that this is just their general rates for 25 year olds, so it will be interesting to see if at the end of December their quote for me changes.
Just call me Chris.

1987 MR2 AW11 SC, Manual

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

This is no help with insurance but I don't think the TOMS wheels were a factory option. You could ask Toyota directly or I can ask for you but I'm pretty sure they weren't.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

flyingllama
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by flyingllama »

GDII wrote:This is no help with insurance but I don't think the TOMS wheels were a factory option. You could ask Toyota directly or I can ask for you but I'm pretty sure they weren't.
Yea I've been looking into it a bit more since the original post, and I think you're right. They were most likely purchased afterwards. A bit of a shame, but oh well.
Just call me Chris.

1987 MR2 AW11 SC, Manual

CJ
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: CJ

Post by CJ »

my insurance company (ami) eventually decided that my car was too attention seeking for them to cover. They have a sister company, CLIC, which deals with AMI customers with modified or classic/rare cars. They asked me to simply get two appraisals from car dealers. I could then take this as a base number, then had to tell them everything i had done/spent/changed on the car. We then came up with a number i wanted it insured for and they told me the yearly cost. If i wanted to i could reduce/increase this to get a premium that i was happy with. If i stayed with AMI they would only insure my car based on the average value of replacing the car to a similar year base model.

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

I got a quote from Classic Cover for my NZ assembled '85 Corolla GT. $6k cover was $212 per year, $100 excess, Limited to 5000km a year.
1992 G Limited

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

What's it worth?

Post by mickeyduck »

*** EDIT: I started this thread because of an email from Chris aka flyingllama but I only spotted his earlier thread some days later, so I have moved his posts to here hence they now appear above. This is a topic we really do need to work on folks cos it can either pay or it can cost us a lot of money... END OF EDIT ***

I'd like to start a thread here to track the value of the MR2.

The idea is, so we get a decent resource of evidence to throw at the likes of insurance companies for "agreed value" purposes, etc.

I'd like it if we could please do the following to help it along:

Post up details of your MR2: Year, NA / SC / turbo etc.
Post up what you paid for it.
Maybe add in what you've spent on it...

If you sold your MR2, post up what you got for it.

If you see an MR2 for sale on Trademe, screen shot the listing and post it here. With a link to it too maybe? Even if they close, they still serve as a reference...

NB: to post a picture, use the "upload attachment" thing below, then "place inline". It's not exactly difficult...

I'll get the ball rolling with a few Trademe things to start with.

Here's "Gizmo" the car that started this club, up for sale recently. This AW did sell for about $9,000

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =549591877" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Picture 11.png
Picture 11.png (270.28 KiB) Viewed 8528 times
Here's a few other AW's:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =544183553" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Picture 12.png
Picture 12.png (243.24 KiB) Viewed 8528 times
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =548614959" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Picture 13.png
Picture 13.png (285.88 KiB) Viewed 8528 times
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Olaf

Re: What's it worth?

Post by ClanFever »

Well I've seen 3 different mr2s in Wellington, one was de-reg with a crappy motor, one had a very nice TICK TICK :twisted: TICK which deafened you as you drove it, and another one which had no engine, and they all went for about $1200. I got mine with it's reg and good everything for $750, reason I got mine so cheap as the guy I got it off had just got a GT and stole a few parts off mine then sold it. Good for me as mine's a track hack anyway and the stuff that didn't exist was coming off anyway. I had to spend about $1500 getting a new clutch and wof so $2250 for a road legal and driveable mr2 for me. That's for a 91 sw20 in fairly stock form, 210,000km. I know of one girl who's selling her manual 1990 mr2, 200,000km (I think) with new cambelt, for $2000, but it's got some sort of electrical problem which drains the battery over night regardless if the battery is 5 years old or 24 hours old. So I'd say for an early model none turbo sw20 you're looking at 1000-2000 for a worse example, and 3000-4000 for a better one.
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

The problem with a thread like this is that it becomes out of date very quickly. The market conditions change just as much as the cars themselves. If you wanted to have a decent usable list then create a table which lists car model, details, sold price and year (month) sold. After you have enough data you could trend the information to evaluate current new worth.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Logan
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Logan

Post by Logan »

Not to mention the "value" of cars changes in different areas of the country.
1996 Turbo SW20

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

I see recently AW's that 5 years ago would sell for $4,000 today can sell for twice that. Yet my insurer is happy to tell me they'll pay out $1,000 cos the car's old even though I paid $4,500 for it and have been paying premiums to match.

Any info we can gather regards the value of our cars may help us secure better value from our insurers, is all.

If everyone thinks this is a waste of time I'll delete the thread but I figured maybe it was worth a shot...

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

simonaszakra
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Mid Canterbury
First name: Simon

Post by simonaszakra »

i think it is vital that we make insurance companies realize that these cars are worth more than your average 80's carolla.

an easy answer is insure it as a classic car with swann insurance. they ask you what agreed value you would like to put on the car.
my 88 20v blacktop ins insured with them for an agreed value of $6000. i pay $280 per year for full cover including ,glass,road side and track/race insurance.

the only catch is that you can only drive it about twice a week (classic car)

my solution to this is buy 3 AW11's and just rotate which one you drive. all up it is actually cheaper for me to do this than get full cover on one car :P

estimated value 3k ish

manual, bluetop, sunroof, 210k, Tom's C3R rims

88 20v blacktop, manual, trd shocks and springs,

bought for 3k could probs sell for 4k
when one isn't enough buy 10

84 AW11 manual 16v smallport redtop
84 AW11 manual 16v redtop (Trackcar)
87 AW11 auto supercharger
86 AW11 manual mossy but to be saved
84 AW11 sneaky boi low numbers car
85 AW11 auto low kms
85 AW11 hopefully not a parts car
86 AW11 nz new sadly a parts car
84 AW11 parts car
93 SW20 GTS

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by mickeyduck »

That's the spirit Simon! :D

And frankly I'd think your AW's are worth more than that. Depending on condition of things by maybe up to a couple of grand? It's just a case of having a little patience if selling because things are moving slowly due to the GFC. But I've seen a few AW's here sell for $7,000 plus over the last year. Not that there's many AW's here full stop... Just takes a little longer to sell them than you might like, is all. But it's that way for anything now eh.

I will enquire re your insurer. Though I'm down to one drivable AW now which is a big problem as it's therefore become my daily...

One newly joined member put the question to me about can the club help get better agreed value insurance for his restoration project AW, which is why I posted this thread. And I can see where he's coming from...

So thanks for the input mate. Good helpful stuff. :D

Joel
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Joel

Post by Joel »

I was surprised to see Gizmo up for sale again so soon.
AW prices are definitely on the rise and good examples are becoming rarer and rarer.
There seems to be a pretty big gap between what people are asking and what people are prepared to pay as always though.

Here is my brief MR2 history:

AW11 Supercharger Auto
25,000km
$10,000 (in about 1994ish)

AW11 NA
130,000km
$3,300 (2004)
Sold to club member Paul (Baldockboy) for $3,300 (2007)

MR-S Manual
150,000km
$7,000 (2010)
Sold for $7,500
Last edited by Joel on Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.