Tint failure.

General discussions.
Please post in other areas if more suitable (eg technical, for sale etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please post in other areas if more suitable (eg technical, for sale etc...) Use of the General section to circumvent correct use of other forum sections may result in posts being deleted or forum permissions being revoked. Thank you.
CJ
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: CJ

Re: Tint failure.

Post by CJ »

mine did the same. didnt have an issue in 15 years. Then went in earlier this year and the guy said it was now 33%. He made me leave.
I went home and cleaned the glass. Came back. Re-measured at 34%. He let that go.

tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

Old thread but I just had the same issue. I went to a reputable installer, asked for 35% legal tints as I got sunburnt through the glass on the last summer mr2 run. Then I get failed, 33.2 and 34.4 for the two front window door glass. Somehow the rear windscreen and quarter windows with the same tint were ok. So brand new tint pulled straight off again. I get that is says 35% but they seem completely unwilling to allow any tolerance at all for different VLT readers and calibration, any scientific test is going to have a margin or error. It seems most warrant places would happily let you pass in the 30-35% zone.

Oh well, luckily the tint place are standing by their reputation and ordering a lighter one in to replace it no charge. They said they had never had an issue with it before and put it on all new euro cars which already have a significant tint from factory. I am very happy to be failed on a mechanical/braking/steering/suspension/rust issue and I completely agree with making anyone with less than 33% VLT remove/replace their tints. This just seems pedantic but I guess it is hard to fault someone for following the law to the absolute letter even if it seems unfair. It kind of feels like reputable well meaning tint installers have a gentlemen's agreement with WOF testers but not all of them received the memo.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

Oh noes it's 34.4% not 35% you fail now

Where is the tolerance? I'm sure a perfectly clear window, with 35% tint, with some dirt might give you that reading. Never mind for window film or 35% tint very slightly darker
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

CJ
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by CJ »

Im betting things like how sunny the day is, or what color your interior is makes a difference on those things.

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

Is there 40%/45% tint? Do we just have to go with that to play it safe? Or do we need to hold onto a receipt saying the car has 35% tints installed? Can we get it certed? It's okay to change your tyre profile completely as long as the other side matches, but nope, protecting yourself from the sun and thieves is bad mmmkay
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

CJ
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by CJ »

Havent seen 40, but 45% is available.

Mr-Paulio
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Paul

Post by Mr-Paulio »

You should ask for a calibration certificate for the testing device? We use a lot of electronic testing tools at work that all require calibration annually. (I am sure this is nno different...) And we have to provide proof of calibration. Only takes someone to drop it once and there is your bad reading! I'd go somewhere else and try again peesonally. Then if you pass write a formal complaint.
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator

tw2
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

My usual garage does low volume certification so they have an LTSA certified and calibrated meter. And they also got the same values as my tint guy. Basically every test was repeated multiple times with different readers getting a slight fail. Tints they put on are already 45 or something like that to account for the small amount of visible light loss from the regular glass (that may also have a very slight factory tint to it). I guess the issue is that close enough isn't good enough for some warrant testers and if you want to be on the safe side make sure your tint installer has a reputable reader that is calibrated and that he reads higher than 35% on all windows AND has a small margin for error.

They said they couldn't accept a written validation from the installer as it still fails with their reader. It's no longer about safety, it is about being anal. I had a good relationship with this garage, maybe I will get over it in 6 months.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato