Practical (second?) car for transporting parts etc?

General discussions.
Please post in other areas if more suitable (eg technical, for sale etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please post in other areas if more suitable (eg technical, for sale etc...) Use of the General section to circumvent correct use of other forum sections may result in posts being deleted or forum permissions being revoked. Thank you.
MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Mike

Re: Practical (second?) car for transporting parts etc?ill a mates see you getting out of one

Post by MIKEP »

Yes odyssey is ok but a bit like having sex with a fat girl. "A lot of fun and nice to ride till your mates see you getting out of one"
Most 4x4s end up as Remuera tractors and the 4 wheel drive never gets used. I had a Range Rover for towing the race ar and all my dirty stuff and I only ever had to use the 4wd once. As far as fishing goes I don't think many of us go to spots so extreme you can only get into by 4wd.

For the extra money you pay for 4wd and bearing in mind the difference between that and AWD am not sure it's worth it unless you will use it regularly or you need it to get into a place inaccessible by any other means.

I suppose one of the advantages or 4wd is you get to have 2 cool gear lever knobs as opposed to one
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charlie

Re: Practical (second?) car for transporting parts etc?

Post by mickeyduck »

We have a Caldina GT4 (bullet-train kinda shape) which is great. I'd suggest you look for a good GT-T (squarer wedgy kinda shape) as it'll be cheaper. You basically get a station wagon with an MR2 turbo motor and AWD. 8)

Vans - I'd not go for a Madaz myself. There's an old mechanics' saying about avoiding any diesel that starts with "M"...

Of course you could just add a tow-bar to the SW (see Mr Shiny) then get a wee trailer... :shock: :wink:
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
First name: Michael

Re: Practical (second?) car for transporting parts etc?ill a mates see you getting out of one

Post by mknz »

MIKEP wrote:Yes odyssey is ok but a bit like having sex with a fat girl. "A lot of fun and nice to ride till your mates see you getting out of one"
Hondas in general. If your mates have also slept with a fat girl they'll understand but not many do because of the stigma. I may not like the stigma nor the lack of RWD but they are practical and reliable which is what this thread is about. Are these things really important anyway? I thought the point of the car was for the partner to drive while you drive the MR2?

MoNk
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: J

Post by MoNk »

I imported a 3.0R 6 speed manual.
Loving it.

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: James

Post by Swampy »

Big dredge but I've purchased a 95 Subaru WRX sportswagon. 30,000km and 3+ years later its fulfilled the utility role pretty good, - probably not as good as a bigger wagon or van for reasons such as age/kms but for my budget at the time it was probably the best drivers car I could get that was a Subie.

Bit of a trade off having to get familiar with the flat 4 and replace a lot of parts that went bad with age.

Probably best sensible option would've been something later, low ks and cheap, like a Honda Stream.
In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~

lasersooby
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Mo

Post by lasersooby »

Swampy wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:13 pm
Big dredge but I've purchased a 95 Subaru WRX sportswagon. 30,000km and 3+ years later its fulfilled the utility role pretty good, - probably not as good as a bigger wagon or van for reasons such as age/kms but for my budget at the time it was probably the best drivers car I could get that was a Subie.

Bit of a trade off having to get familiar with the flat 4 and replace a lot of parts that went bad with age.

Probably best sensible option would've been something later, low ks and cheap, like a Honda Stream.
MoNk wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:17 pm
I imported a 3.0R 6 speed manual.
Loving it.

Good old Subaru, great cars :D
2017 Toyota Aqua G's
Daily Drive: 2005 Honda CR-V Sport (Auto) - SOLD
When the Wife Allows: 2020 TRD RAV4 Limited Hybrid
If the Weather is Nice: 2000 GDBSTiV7 Subaru
Looking Forward To: Supercharged MR2

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

Toyota Blade Master G. Then when you are done with it, you can take the 2GR out and fit it into your SW20 :D

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Alsw20 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:26 am
Toyota Blade Master G. Then when you are done with it, you can take the 2GR out and fit it into your SW20 :D
Seems like you should buy an SW20 Al?
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

Excellent idea.