Swann insurance - Experiences

General discussions.
Please post in other areas if more suitable (eg technical, for sale etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please post in other areas if more suitable (eg technical, for sale etc...) Use of the General section to circumvent correct use of other forum sections may result in posts being deleted or forum permissions being revoked. Thank you.
Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Jabeo

Re: Swann insurance - Experiences

Post by Jabeo »

Spoke to swann today about potentially switching to them and getting a classic insurance quote to insure my car. I told the person that i have been been referred here and am a member of the mr2ocnz club. gave him my details of the car, 1992 MR2 Turbo and asked me what i valued the car at. I gave him my reasonable valuation based on recently sold cars, and the current market for low kilometer MR2 Turbos both here and in Australia. He told that they dont do agreed value on "these types of cars, as they are older japanese sports cars" and are considered high risk vehicles such as other japanese cars of the time.

I told him that to my knowledge there were a few cars from our club insured with swann with agreed value, full cover etc. Listed my modifications and my age of 22, which is just lowering, wheels and seats etc. He got back to me with an $800 annual premium with a $2500 excess.

I ended the call a bit annoyed knowing that others my age have been insured with swann on agreed value for reasonable amounts, full cover with annual premiums faaaar lower than what i was quoted. Have i spoken to the wrong person or am i misinformed?
1992 MR2 GT Turbo :twisted: Complete with Traction control!
1997 N/A Honda Civic EK3 :twisted:

:!: Follow me on Instagram :!: https://www.instagram.com/jabeo_waho/
Im still learning a lot about cars so bear with me!

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

Jabeo wrote:Spoke to swann today about potentially switching to them and getting a classic insurance quote to insure my car. I told the person that i have been been referred here and am a member of the mr2ocnz club. gave him my details of the car, 1992 MR2 Turbo and asked me what i valued the car at. I gave him my reasonable valuation based on recently sold cars, and the current market for low kilometer MR2 Turbos both here and in Australia. He told that they dont do agreed value on "these types of cars, as they are older japanese sports cars" and are considered high risk vehicles such as other japanese cars of the time.

I told him that to my knowledge there were a few cars from our club insured with swann with agreed value, full cover etc. Listed my modifications and my age of 22, which is just lowering, wheels and seats etc. He got back to me with an $800 annual premium with a $2500 excess.

I ended the call a bit annoyed knowing that others my age have been insured with swann on agreed value for reasonable amounts, full cover with annual premiums faaaar lower than what i was quoted. Have i spoken to the wrong person or am i misinformed?
This is very weird. Try speaking with someone else

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Jabeo »

mknz wrote:This is very weird. Try speaking with someone else
i will definitely try call back sometime and try get a different person. Based on this thread and others on this forum as well as peoples experiences, am i right in assuming that Swann does (or has done at some point) done agreed value on our cars? They told me they never have for these types of cars which seemed really weird to me

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

You didn't accidentally ring the Australian version did you?

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Jabeo »

mknz wrote:You didn't accidentally ring the Australian version did you?
Nope definitely phoned the NZ version, definitely strange to me

MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

JAbeo Try AA Classic car insurance > I just did the AW Agreed Value 8.500 not garaged 10000 kms a year includes inexperienced drivers with less than 2 years experience ($400 excess) and the premium is $124.00 per year . Im not a member of the AA and have no other insurances with them except one other car . IF I stuck it in a garage it would be only $100.00

Worth a go
Attachments
IMG_1542.JPG
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

They won't insure Jabeo's car because he is too young and I'm assuming he probably nearly daily drives the car.

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Jabeo »

Alsw20 wrote:They won't insure Jabeo's car because he is too young and I'm assuming he probably nearly daily drives the car.
Theres a couple of under 25s here insured with them on agreed im pretty sure and as well as this i actually daily drive a honda civic cause its cheap on gas and has been pretty reliable (keeping the kms low on the 2 lol just cracked 100,000 not long ago) . i even keep the car under a cover too and we have a long driveway as we live out in the country side

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Possibly Swann has had a change in its policy based on perceived risk. Often insurance companies will do this and not enter into discussions with new customers on why this has changed. I have 2 cars with Swann and both are under an agreed valuation, not garaged and live in the country like you. Our age is different as the location profile which could make all the difference.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Mr-Paulio
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Paul

Post by Mr-Paulio »

In case it helps anyone...
I have just renewed my insurance with "Classic Cover Insurance" https://www.classiccover.co.nz/
$540 odd annually for full cover and windscreen cover with free towing and buy back options for both cars 1989 AW11 V6 MR2 agreed value of $8,000 and the '91 NA SW20 $2,500. I do have k's limited to 5,000 for each annually. I am over 25. And any full licence driver over 25 is covered. And both are registered as garaged. I think my excess is $1,000.

I struggled with the AW11 after being modified. AMI dropped me as soon as it went from auto - manual. I thought the V6 would be a real struggle but these guys were good. Sent them pictures of the car, mods and cert. So all covered. Even a good price I thought. Cheaper than what I did have with Youi and they even told me they couldn't compete with that price. Of course I haven't had to claim yet... Except for a crack in my SW windscreen they have approved, I just need to get around to taking it somewhere.
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Alsw20 »

Classic Covers agreed value is nothing more than a figure on a piece of paper. If they feel like your MR2 isn’t worth what you wrote down they won’t pay you that .

Mr-Paulio
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Paul

Post by Mr-Paulio »

Alsw20 wrote:Classic Covers agreed value is nothing more than a figure on a piece of paper. If they feel like your MR2 isn’t worth what you wrote down they won’t pay you that .
Fingers crossed I never cause a crash and have to test that theory then! I would actually value it higher myself. But they said that was the max they would do as agreed value on that car unless I get an official valuation. Which I will probably do once it's turbo and certified again.
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Alsw20 »

Have a really good read of the actual fine details of the policy, not the marketing sound bites on the website.

It’s quite eye opening.

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Alsw20 wrote:Have a really good read of the actual fine details of the policy, not the marketing sound bites on the website.

It’s quite eye opening.
Hmmmmm......I may have to dig mine out again and see what your referring to.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

MIKEP
First name: Mike

Post by MIKEP »

Bit worried that Al (alsw20) was coming from a personal point of view and not fact. So checked with Swann and for the sake of good order got a copy of their definitions and nomenclature . Also checked with the insurance council of NZ .

We have to be quite careful about this . Swann were somewhat bemused about the comment re Sound bites on the Website as they don't have sound and obviously they are concerned if people don't read the documents carefully enough

Anyway heres the definition from the horses mouth and covered by law

Check Page 3 for definition
schedule_G4014.pdf
(142.73 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
And this is the statement
Attachments
Capture 1.PNG
Capture 1.PNG (28 KiB) Viewed 2502 times
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D