Is Facebook Really Killing the Classic Car Club

General discussions.
Please post in other areas if more suitable (eg technical, for sale etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please post in other areas if more suitable (eg technical, for sale etc...) Use of the General section to circumvent correct use of other forum sections may result in posts being deleted or forum permissions being revoked. Thank you.
MIKEP
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Mike

Is Facebook Really Killing the Classic Car Club

Post by MIKEP »

Every year round this time and at all the Agms I have been to the question of Facebook comes up. There are 2 schools of thought but either way someone always ends up with their panties in a bunch . I don't want to get in the discussion re Facebook VS Forum as I believe they both have a place and a purpose but I read a great article that popped up in my reading list re the Facebook for Car clubs subject and I urge you all to read it .

Heres the link to the article
http://www.p6club.com/content/part-2-fa ... c-car-club

Without spoiling the plot
Facebook isn’t killing the classic car club. On the contrary, it is directly contributing to a swelling interest and enthusiasm for classic cars across all age groups, but not least the vital younger profiles.

The article is by Bryan Humpries and Michael Allen form the Rover P6 Car club. No one could be more classic than them and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the results

Happy reading
86 AW11 S/C,
81 Porsche 924S
02 VW Golf GTI
Minisprint powered by 4AGE 73D
99 ZZW30 Spyder
04 VW Passat V5
04 Mercedes ML270Cdi
90 SW20 N/A
2022 Club President
Auckland AC-Shows,Motorsport

tw2
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Thomas

Re: Is Facebook Really Killing the Classic Car Club

Post by tw2 »

Very interesting. Does our club have a Facebook page? I am not on Facebook.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

Jabeo
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Jabeo

Post by Jabeo »

tw2 wrote:Very interesting. Does our club have a Facebook page? I am not on Facebook.
yeah we have a facebook page, not often used all of the time though. There are also a few nz mr2 buy and sell discussion groups too. The world mr2 groups on facebook are very active as well, i have put the idea out previously that the page could be turned into a group instead. If you hunt around there have been a few thread discussions regarding the active usage of a social media platform to pull in the younger people etc, or people in nz that dont use a forum etc
1992 MR2 GT Turbo :twisted: Complete with Traction control!
1997 N/A Honda Civic EK3 :twisted:

:!: Follow me on Instagram :!: https://www.instagram.com/jabeo_waho/
Im still learning a lot about cars so bear with me!

tw2
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

I wonder if there is a way to integrate them both. I never plan to use Facebook just as some people are never going to sign up to a forum. Would be the best of both worlds.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

Jabeo wrote:
tw2 wrote:Very interesting. Does our club have a Facebook page? I am not on Facebook.
yeah we have a facebook page, not often used all of the time though. There are also a few nz mr2 buy and sell discussion groups too. The world mr2 groups on facebook are very active as well, i have put the idea out previously that the page could be turned into a group instead. If you hunt around there have been a few thread discussions regarding the active usage of a social media platform to pull in the younger people etc, or people in nz that dont use a forum etc
The page being turned into a group would mean pointless memes and questions that have already been answered on this forum. It is best if we can bring people over to this forum as it acts almost as a library of information and helpful people, which Facebook can barely provide.
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester