Search Function

General discussions.
Please post in other areas if more suitable (eg technical, for sale etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please post in other areas if more suitable (eg technical, for sale etc...) Use of the General section to circumvent correct use of other forum sections may result in posts being deleted or forum permissions being revoked. Thank you.
MR2SIK
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Sean

Search Function

Post by MR2SIK »

Am I going crazy? or is there no search function on here anymore haha?

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Re: Search Function

Post by GDII »

Paid members get this option. $30 for a life time membership.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

tw2
Area Coordinator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Thomas

Post by tw2 »

Or just use Google. Add site:mr2.org.nz to the end of your query.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Michael

Post by mknz »

You can, but the advanced search gives you more features such as scoping to a specific subforum

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

tw2 wrote:Or just use Google. Add site:mr2.org.nz to the end of your query.
Shhhhhhh that doesn't give us members :P
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

tw2

Post by tw2 »

ClanFever wrote:
tw2 wrote:Or just use Google. Add site:mr2.org.nz to the end of your query.
Shhhhhhh that doesn't give us members :P
I know your kidding but it does bring up an interesting point. It isn't exactly withholding information but it does make it harder to access which in an open free information age doesn't sit the best. When I returned to the club I found the search function missing but had no idea it was now only for members. I still don't use it as Google's search algorithms are vastly superior to all online forum search functions I have used.

Maybe making it available for everyone especially with the option to donate to the forum running costs could create a lot of good will. I donate to Wikipedia whenever they ask.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ

Post by mknz »

I've been thinking about this a lot.

If everyone uses Google's search then what would be the purpose of letting guests of the club access the inbuilt search?

I use both; the forum search is good for finding specific information, especially when I can't remember where it is.

It's not that I have any issue with Google offering site specific search. I still allow it to index us because they offer a different search and it provides a way for people to find us (then hopefully join).

Unfortunately, there is a real cost with hosting. There has also been a point in the past about the value for money for club members.

In my view, if you're a club member then you'll probably read the forum much more and when you come to search you will know what you're looking for.

Is there anything I'm missing? Any other reasons to allow guests to use the search I haven't listed?

Mr-Paulio
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Paul

Post by Mr-Paulio »

Just pay the whole $30 for life time membership and get all the bonuses that come with it. Go on a few runs with your local members and have a blast! So worth it! :lol:
'89 AW11 V6 Turbo (350BHP & 380Ft/lbs!) :twisted:
'86 AW11 20V (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo "BlackRat" #RatRodStyle (Sold) :(
'91 SW20 Turbo (Sold) :(
South Auckland Area Coordinator

tw2

Post by tw2 »

mknz wrote:If everyone uses Google's search then what would be the purpose of letting guests of the club access the inbuilt search?
As you point out it can be more specific and not everyone even knows you can use google in this manner. A lot of the people who use the forum are not members, a lot aren't even in New Zealand and it doesn't make sense for them to become members, they will never come on a run. Apparently our technical info and plethora of photos is actually quite vast compared with the other mr2 forums around the world, I know mr2oc has very few photos left from the old days. If people could access it more easily and had the option to paypal donate for their benefit it might even end up dwarfing the income from membership fees.

People will join the club because they are excited about it and want to be involved. No one is going to join for $30 so they can use the internal search instead of google, most people (myself included last year) don't even know why they can't find the search function- hence the reason for this thread. It isn't much of a perk, being part of a special community is.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

mknz
Site Admin - MR2OCNZ

Post by mknz »

tw2 wrote:A lot of the people who use the forum are not members, a lot aren't even in New Zealand and it doesn't make sense for them to become members, they will never come on a run. Apparently our technical info and plethora of photos is actually quite vast compared with the other mr2 forums around the world, I know mr2oc has very few photos left from the old days. If people could access it more easily and had the option to paypal donate for their benefit it might even end up dwarfing the income from membership fees.
I can tell you for sure that almost every single person that signs up the forum is a kiwi, but I see your point.
tw2 wrote:No one is going to join for $30 so they can use the internal search instead of google, most people (myself included last year) don't even know why they can't find the search function- hence the reason for this thread. It isn't much of a perk, being part of a special community is.
It was never intended to be the sole reason for joining the club, just another reason.

Don't get me wrong, I'm inclined to change it (and always have been, but there have been more important matters to attend to). I'll wait to let others have their say first

ClanFever

Post by ClanFever »

Part of drawing members in is getting the funds to keep the website/forum going. A donation button could mean that non-members (they'd still need to be forum members) could use the search function.
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

tw2

Post by tw2 »

ClanFever wrote:Part of drawing members in is getting the funds to keep the website/forum going. A donation button could mean that non-members (they'd still need to be forum members) could use the search function.
Would you not want to encourage non-members from overseas to still be able to search, use the information and donate if they wished? I assume that is a much larger group of people than signed up, unpaid members?
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

ClanFever

Post by ClanFever »

tw2 wrote:
ClanFever wrote:Part of drawing members in is getting the funds to keep the website/forum going. A donation button could mean that non-members (they'd still need to be forum members) could use the search function.
Would you not want to encourage non-members from overseas to still be able to search, use the information and donate if they wished? I assume that is a much larger group of people than signed up, unpaid members?
They'd need to create a forum account, as I believe (IIRC, which I'm probably not) we don't want bots searching as it can increase server load substantially. Unless that's not the case, we'd need to program in a way to allow donations to unlock the search for an IP address if they were not to sign up.

tw2

Post by tw2 »

Captcha? Man I hate captchas.
Thomas, 91 G, 05 E55
Area Coordinator Waikato

ClanFever

Post by ClanFever »

tw2 wrote:Captcha? Man I hate captchas.
No they are never the answer, I can't see any more freaking store fronts, come on!!

I've learned from a past big time member that the search function being locked off has been contested before, and doesn't make sense in the information age we're in, especially with Facebook (and Facebook advise...) being free. He does make a valid point. Facebook is still a useless medium for information keeping (and reliable fixes), however again, it is free and easily available.

My issue isn't with making the search function free, my issue is we still need some funds to get the website and club going. Donations may be enough, if people used it. Also, if we can reduce the web hosting cost altogether, that'll help big time as well.