Is anyone on here attending the 2020 Toyota Festival at Highlands??

General discussions.
Please post in other areas if more suitable (eg technical, for sale etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please post in other areas if more suitable (eg technical, for sale etc...) Use of the General section to circumvent correct use of other forum sections may result in posts being deleted or forum permissions being revoked. Thank you.
m.rance
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Southland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Matthew

Is anyone on here attending the 2020 Toyota Festival at Highlands??

Post by m.rance »

As in title just wondering if anyone was showing their MR2 or even just going

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: Is anyone on here attending the 2020 Toyota Festival at Highlands??

Post by Benckj »

I’ll most likely be there but no track laps. They took the fun out of it last time by charging heaps to follow a safety car around.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

m.rance
Guest of the Club.

Post by m.rance »

Oh that would take all the fun out of it. I have booked my car into the show and shine on the saturday. Hope to see you there maybe

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Exactly. First year they had it the track laps were a blast. After that the safety police along with Tony Quinn raised the price and took all the fun out of it. Still a good festival to attend but wouldn’t waste any money on track laps.

I can look up dates but might be best to list when it is here Matt.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Answering my own question. March-7-8th for Highlands.

https://highlands.co.nz/event/toyota-festival/
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Al

Post by Alsw20 »

Just had a look at the prices. $150 for four fifteen minute track session. Now if that was at least like a Powercruise style give it heaps on the straight and don’t pass people around corners that would be fine, but following a pace car at a set speed? Taking the piss.

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

It’s worse than that Al. $119 for 2 x A+C track sessions and $199 for the same + 2 full track sessions. Each session is 15min which is pretty decent. They don’t really state having to follow safety car but this is what was imposed last time.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

Sounds like a the targa tour mode where you get to follow the safety car and pay bucket loads for it... unfortunately the tracks used for Toyota Festival are owned by those who can be quoted in saying they don't want people who can't afford expensive cars to use the tracks...

I can't make it to the South Island for it this year, I would like to see there being no disconnect between those with 1000K, 100K, 10K and 1K in their bank accounts, everyone should be able to have a good time. Obviously the more you have, the better car you will probably have, but who's to say going around at max rpms in a Corolla or Auto MR2 is no less fun then cruising at the same speed in a Mclaren...
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Not really sure how they will run the event on the day. Vague details in the track blurb info. All the same, I have to make a run to the Qtwn airport that day so will pop in the morning to see a few mates, watch a few runs and exit early. Hope to meet a few MR2s there.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

ClanFever wrote:unfortunately the tracks used for Toyota Festival are owned by those who can be quoted in saying they don't want people who can't afford expensive cars to use the tracks...
Speaking as someone directly responsible for helping start the Toyota Festival in the first place (with our AGM at Taupo in 2013, in cahoots with the Altezza Club and through discussions with Playday on Track and with Toyota's motorsports and PR people of the day) I have to say the events at Hampton's over the years have been great but only because we can drive our cars as fast as we like, and only because we can still do so on the original circuit.

What is absurd to my mind is that Mr Quinn has made it near impossible for folks like ourselves to do so at Hamptons at any other time of year, access to that original circuit being restricted to a very small subset of those who once were able to enjoy that awesome track at any time of year.

And if he sneaks a safety car into track time at the Highlands Toyota Festival without making it very clear pre-purchase, then in my estimation both he and Toyota ought to be taken to task for essentially defrauding those who paid for track time.

Perhaps the best thing that can happen is for nobody to register for track time at Highlands? Lack of financial return might make these clowns wake up and give us (the customer) a fair deal.

Facebook needs to be full of people stating they need a written assurance there will be no pace car at Highlands before they buy into track time. There's a social media mission for you Olaf. :idea:

And if they say there won't be a pace car, be sure to screen-shot it!

We started this thing anyway. It wasn't actually Toyota and it sure wasn't Tony Quinn. I hit the Altezza Club up for combined track time and because Nick worked at NST that brought in the 86 Club (always keen on track time) and Toyota. I remember suggesting to Toyota's motorsports and PR people that an annual track day for Toyota owners would be a great idea. I was out to gain us (MR2 owners) an affordable annual track day and it was great that our Committee and club members were right into it too. Happily the 86 was being released and Toyota got behind the idea as a marketing exercise. The result has been epic.

But if Toyota's deal with one track owner makes the Toyota Festival go sour for us (the customer) then I don't see any reason why history can't simply repeat itself sans Mr Quinn. A Toyota Festival is nothing without attendees and there are plenty of other places we could have an annual track day.

Did you know we probably have the highest ratio of race tracks per head of population in the world? Cool eh? :mrgreen:

This is our event not Mr Quinn's. Let's keep it "on track", keep them honest. :wink:

17 March 2013 - Playday On Track "Taupo Toyota Fun Day"

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10872
Taupo on track.jpg
Taupo on track.jpg (236.35 KiB) Viewed 2396 times
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Just got home from a trip away to take car for a burn around the block. First time I’ve driven since getting home from Manfield.

Car went and stopped under its own power so ready to hit Highlands tomorrow. What time is everyone arriving?
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

m.rance
Guest of the Club.

Post by m.rance »

Benckj wrote:Just got home from a trip away to take car for a burn around the block. First time I’ve driven since getting home from Manfield.

Car went and stopped under its own power so ready to hit Highlands tomorrow. What time is everyone arriving?
I am planning on being in the area around 7ish in the morning and trying to find somewhere to give my car a clean if needed (hopefully I dont need to) i will have to see what the roads and bugs are like. Judging for the show and shine starts at 9am so I will be at Highlands before then

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

I hope you guys get to enjoy the track unfettered.

Some photos / video would be nice too if you can manage it. :idea:

Hope you have a great time!
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

GDII
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Sounds like there is a little Blacktop 4AGE KE70 running circles around the A90s and SW20s. :wink:
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Very low turn out which made good spectator and track runs. I didn’t do the track but there was heaps of free activities for us show & shine boys. F1 simulators and rides in 4WD around special off road course. My wife’s uncle who came with me had a great time.
Attachments
C63DA9C7-E551-4FB6-A1F1-08A943E87A76.jpeg
A7DD1883-2A45-47B1-8D7E-FE5B3FDFE9B1.jpeg
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car