DIY towing tips pls

General discussions.
Please post in other areas if more suitable (eg technical, for sale etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please post in other areas if more suitable (eg technical, for sale etc...) Use of the General section to circumvent correct use of other forum sections may result in posts being deleted or forum permissions being revoked. Thank you.
Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: James

DIY towing tips pls

Post by Swampy »

Hi guys I'm towing my MR2 from Auckland in a few weeks, just wondering if anyone has any tips for the best way to do this

My front bumper measures approx 130mm from the ground to its lowest point, but shouldn't be too much of an issue because the weight needs to be over the front axle, so I'm reversing it on right?

What weight rating tie downs are the best to use?

And what's best to attach the tie downs to, the tow hooks or the wheels?

And I suppose a tilting flat deck is better than the standard folding ramp trailer but I'm guessing won't be too much of a factor if it's being reversed on.

I'm hiring a hirepool trailer, and a 2wd Mitsi Triton 2.4 tdi! The place I'm hiring from doesn't have any Isuzu dmaxes about I think but should be alright! Should be fun lol
In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: DIY towing tips pls

Post by Benckj »

Can drive forward or back car onto trailer depending on what deck length is. Just make sure your center of gravity is over wheels or slightly forward. Bring along some 6x2 boards in case the entry angle is too steep for car onto ramps.

For securing use the wide tie down straps through front and rear wheels. Not sure on rating but they are the ones truckies use and are about 3” wide. This keeps car stable without compressing suspension on body.

Using the Mitsi should be fine as long as tow hitch is rated to 3t. I towed mine with a heavy trailer using my 3.8k Pajero through dodgy West coast roads and mountain passes.
Attachments
9339DCFF-2877-4ECD-AEBC-948FC154BB01.jpeg
D967C7C6-128A-4C72-AB95-18F98DF80BCD.jpeg
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

Just send it, cuz :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Towie.jpg
Towie.jpg (266.77 KiB) Viewed 2698 times
(500kg towing rating, may have exceeded it excessively)

Put it on backwards, car or stronger rated tow straps (most rental places will hire you big f off ones anyway) and through (and around) the wheel spokes, and you'll be right.

As for loading it, I had no issue loading a very low MR2 onto this trailer and they're normally okay

Above all else, make sure to tug the ratchet strap afterwards and say "That ain't going nowhere"

Just take it slow and enjoy the towing experience
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

Swampy
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: James

Post by Swampy »

Cheers guys, I towed mine home with no problems other than loose straps flying about to begin with. Felt pretty cool driving around Hampton Downs, kinda fit in :lol: oh well one day SW.

I got my tie downs from Silverback on Trade Me, about $80 shipped for 4 2500kg rated ones. They're about 2.5" wide.

Diesel prices at the (allegedly) cheapest gas station in NZ, just a few clicks south of Tokoroa on SH1. SWeet!

In the shed: 91 MR2 G-Limited, 95 Subaru Impreza WRX
In the front of the shed: 95 Corolla
In the driveway: 00 Subaru Legacy Lancaster
In the rear view: 87 Honda Prelude, 94 Nissan Serena, 04 Swift
~ 4 Runs ~