Electric aerial help

Sound and electronic gear in your MR2

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning in-car electronics. Stereos, alarms, GPS etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
warrior
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: brett

Electric aerial help

Post by warrior »

I have a 1992 sw and the standard aerial is stuffed, is there a replacment or what do most people use?

Saut de Chat
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Anthony

Re: Electric aerial help

Post by Saut de Chat »

Do You have the windscreen with the antenna in it?
Then You can remove the spoiler one all together.

warrior
Guest of the Club.
First name: brett

Post by warrior »

no i dont but have decided to put one under the dash and get rip of the old one

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

I had the aerial in the window. Got the window replaced but the radio still works OK plugged into the window aerial plug even without the wire there.

seagull
Guest of the Club.
First name: Mark

Post by seagull »

Reviving dead thread here.

My electric aerial broke and I hate them so I tried a standard stalk one, but it's pretty rubbish. (And so is my bodge-installation!) Ideally I'd like to weld/paint up the aerial hole and have no obvious aerial at all.

Has anyone on here fitted an aftermarket windscreen aerial or other modern type? If so what brand/where did you get it from and how well does it work?
Would something like this do the trick? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-ste ... 905449.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There might be some modern cars where you could pilfer an aerial from a wreckers? Most newer cars don't seem to have obvious aerials.

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

If I did again I'd install an electric aerial inside the rear spoiler and fibreglass up the hole. This should work as good if not better than the windscreen one and be completely concealed.

As a side note for those of you who have an OEM aerial in working order. install a switch between the remote lead and the HU so you can control when you want aerial to go up. No sense having it go up and down everytime you turn the HU on just to listen to a CD or MP3. This prolongs the life and doubtfull if you will even need to replace.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

GDII
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

These would work OK or just plug the window aerial into the HU.

http://forums.toyspeed.org.nz/viewtopic ... ght=aerial" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-ste ... 212682.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for OEM aerial, some aftermarket HUs only switch the aerial when the radio is selected and goes down when CD/AUX is on.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Saut de Chat
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Anthony

Post by Saut de Chat »

You can use the stock windscreen antenna.
I have used them in both of my cars and they work great.
You just need to get an adapter or cut the small one off and wire a standard one.

Logan
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Logan

Post by Logan »

Proud owner of genuine standard working electric aerial ^.^. Except I never listen to the radio.
1996 Turbo SW20

frankv
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Frank

Post by frankv »

I put an electronically amplified windscreen aerial (very similar to the one suggested by seagull) on my previous MR2 and was completely happy with it. Cheap as chips ($16 ??? a few years ago) from SuperCheap and worked fine. I didn't trust the glue to stick to the windscreen and support the black box, so separated that from the aerial itself (there's a couple of inches of wire between them) and screwed the black box to the headlining. If you get a windscreen replaced you do need to warn the windscreen guy so he doesn't rip your aerial apart.

The dipole aerial seems mighty expensive for what is essentially just a piece of wire. You can make your own from a piece of coax, probably the bit that goes to your existing aerial will be long enough.

Just my 2c worth, but I disagree with Jim's suggestion to put an aerial inside the spoiler. The problem is not so much the aerial in the spoiler as the connection between it and the rest of the car... the spoiler is boot-mounted and moves substantially whenever you open/close the boot, so the cable back to the rest of the car would need to be carefully routed to avoid pinching it. Probably you also need a connector in case you ever want to remove the boot lid or spoiler.

Frank
Frank van der Hulst

Benckj
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Just my 2c worth, but I disagree with Jim's suggestion to put an aerial inside the spoiler. The problem is not so much the aerial in the spoiler as the connection between it and the rest of the car... the spoiler is boot-mounted and moves substantially whenever you open/close the boot, so the cable back to the rest of the car would need to be carefully routed to avoid pinching it. Probably you also need a connector in case you ever want to remove the boot lid or spoiler.
To clarify I mean using the side portion of the ge1-2 spoiler which is connected to the rear gaurd not the boot part. Could attach to underside of fibreglass or make a small bracket to hold inside when filling up aerial hole. Power and coax connection already available at this location.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Reuban
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Hawkes Bay
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Reuban

Post by Reuban »

I've been thinking of re-routing it to behind the trim above/around the rear window. Same as Jim completely concealed but a bit higher and can make it pretty long.

Janvhirashe
Guest of the Club.
Prime Mover: ZZW30 (MRS / Spyder)
First name: janvhi

Post by Janvhirashe »

Thank you for the information it was very useful.

Tech Tool