Headunit installation when there is extra cd player

Sound and electronic gear in your MR2

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning in-car electronics. Stereos, alarms, GPS etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Olaf

Headunit installation when there is extra cd player

Post by ClanFever »

Hey guys

Going to do a headunit install on my mothers corolla, however it has a tapedeck headunit, and then there is a cd player lower down above the cupholders. When I put in the new headunit, will there be extra plugs or what am I to expect? I obviously don't care for it as the new headunit has it's own cd player, but just wanted to know if there's anything different I'm going to find. Cheers
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

Logan
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Logan

Re: Headunit installation when there is extra cd player

Post by Logan »

Yes there will be extra plugs, but as long as the internal amp is in the head unit you are pulling out (and the speakers are wired into it) it should be no different, but you wont be able to use the existing cd player. It also might pay to know if the car has an existing external amplifier or not as the wiring will be different again.
1996 Turbo SW20