AW factory speaker replacement

Sound and electronic gear in your MR2

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning in-car electronics. Stereos, alarms, GPS etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Ash Kelly Barr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Ash

AW factory speaker replacement

Post by Ash Kelly Barr »

So my AW's got some speakers put in the doors
They have cut and screwed into the door cards, I don't like this and want to find some replacement, unmolestered cards to put in

However, still like to blast my house music while out attacking country roads so want to find speakers that fit in the factory holes

Anyone found any?

I know Rockford fosgate do a lot of speakers for such applications but need templates
Last edited by Ash Kelly Barr on Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toyota motors:
Current - 89 AW11 factory manual SC
Sold - 74 Toyota Crown wagon (MS63), Holden 308, TH400 trans

Ash Kelly Barr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Re: AW factory speaker replacement

Post by Ash Kelly Barr »

Found this haha http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php? ... 2&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So was it 4" or 5" in the front dash?
And what fits in the roof corners at the back? Shellow 3.5" I read?

Not a fussed about subs but a bit more punch would be good
I've got a 300w 2ch pioneer amp so thinking hide that in the dash and put two of those small subs from jay car behind the seats
Toyota motors:

Millhouse1
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Jamie

Post by Millhouse1 »

Unfortunately the factory speaker housings in a Mk1b are sh*t as far as what size speaker you can fit in. The fronts can only take 4" (and you have to watch the depth of them too), and the rears 3" or 3.5" (can't remember exactly). You're never going to get decent basey sound out of tiny speakers like that, unless you want to fit a sub or some other larger speakers in a customised location. I was considering trying to get my hands on a factory Mk1a subwoofer (goes under the passengers seat), just to make it sound a little more well rounded & less "tinny", but then I thought who cares. I want to hear the sound of the engine, not the tunes. And these days I tend to listen to radio sport on good old AM anyways haha.

Ash Kelly Barr
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Ash Kelly Barr »

Yeah I was thinking two small 8" subs behind the seats just for a little more kick. I know pioneer did a 12" flat sub for a while, amp under one seat and sub under the other could be the go.
But like you say, I'm more inclined to listen to the engine
Just want to restore it a bit but not add to much weight and still retain alright sound system
Toyota motors: