Wedge LEDs or bulbs?

Sound and electronic gear in your MR2

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning in-car electronics. Stereos, alarms, GPS etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Phill

Wedge LEDs or bulbs?

Post by GDII »

What have people used for either replacement bulbs or LEDs for lights in their dashboard or parking lights? I'm having trouble with uneven light outputs from wedge bulbs as they seem the wear out at uneven rates. I purchase Narva 3w or 5w bulbs for the dash and front parking lights but never seem to last.

There seem to be a lot of LED replacements out there for the wedge bulbs but the cheaper priced or cheaper designs seem to have that inherent bright spot and fade off in the wrong places. What I am looking for is something with even light distribution like a normal incandescent bulb but nothing too bright or the wrong colour.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Re: Wedge LEDs or bulbs?

Post by JasonFriday13 »

How bad is the difference? Some of the factory lights had translucent rubber on the bulbs which reduces the brightness. I removed all of these ages ago as the dash wasn't bright enough for my liking. Otherwise no, I haven't had this problem.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

GDII

Post by GDII »

The problem might have been from the Repco branded bulbs I bought at one point. They tend to get a silver coating on the inside.

I haven't taken the rubber covers off the bulbs but maybe I should. I'm still after some LEDs to replace them as they will probably end up being better.

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Post by Statek »

From experience, the Hella branded bulbs (which are actually made by Osram or other companies) last longer than Narva.
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

Mr Shiny
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
First name: Brae

Post by Mr Shiny »

I have a friend on Facebook that specializes in LEDs for cars, Sean should be able to help you out. Check them out at Ultimate LEDs
“If you think the professionals are expensive, you should see what the amateurs can cost you.”

robh
Guest of the Club.
First name: Rob

Post by robh »

Jaycar have lots of LEDs for cars.

GDII

Post by GDII »

I ended up getting some LEDs from an Ultimate LEDs as suggested by Mr Shiny.
They worked out mostly quite well for the majority of the fittings, just the amber corners didn't work so well due to me wanting brighter AND amber. I fixed that though with some clear orange paint.
I still need to get one more for the boot but as they come in pairs I'll use the other one in the Starlet centre console.

Now all the other interior lights look very dim so I need to sort them out, problem is they all use small or tiny lights so hard to get ones to fit maybe.

See here for the fittings I ended up using.
http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php? ... 60#p125531

IC3YG4M3R
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Nick

Post by IC3YG4M3R »

Ive done all my interior lights (dome, door and dash) in LEDs, use small led panels for the doors and dome. I recommend jusy bulk buying a bunch from either Ali Express or Deal Extreme (about 10 days shipping time) . Make sure you get the COB leds as they tend to disperse the light better.
Hi I'm Nick and I'm currently building a high powered SW, feel free to find my forum build thread or check out my Instagram.

Instagram: @mon5tr_mr2

MR2OCNZ Instagram Admin
Club Instagram: @mr2ocnz

SW20 - 92 - GTS - Manual - Purple