NZ Map Software Help Please ?

Sound and electronic gear in your MR2

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning in-car electronics. Stereos, alarms, GPS etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Olaf

Re: NZ Map Software Help Please ?

Post by ClanFever »

Benckj wrote:Just checking to see if there was any progress on this mission.
PM'ed. Finally got it to download, twice Chrome blocked it, then found an option in settings to prevent it from being blocked. No virus in it. Just an unsecure domain that throws up alarm bells. Cheaper for you if I upload it on a more security friendly location say Mega. Or I can put it on a micro sd card and ship it down
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Best to stick onto a micro SD card for me and mail it unless its not much of an issue to download. How large is the file?

Thanks again for doing this as I was out of my software depth..
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

After some help from Olaf downloading map and then my transfer onto SD card after being unpacked it did not work in HU. Chinese company I bought through has answered my questions but I may as well be talking to my dog. Decided to blow sway program supplied and download a better car navigation app which can be used off line and has maps supplied. Let you know it goes.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Managed to pick an App from the dozens on offer called Map Me which included free NZ maps and good reviews on guidance. Downloaded and installed onto HU without an issue and seems to work fine. May get a chance to test in couple of weeks if I get up West Coast for a pre winter road trip.

Nice to have a toy like this on the car to play with. Looking at other Apps which will be of use. Ideas?
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

nightz
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Ken

Post by nightz »

A bit late for "pre winter"

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Thing is that the roads are not frozen yet so still able to blast around the corners. Once we start getting a few hard frosts then the fun may be curtailed to warm day only driving, at least for the turbo.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

For anyone else looking at doing something like this I'll attach a useful link to compare Android apps for car navigation. Oddly enough I only read link after I played around with several options on my own and probably selected the best app for my use (Map Me). Really only use software like this for trip planning or when hitting a town and trying to find an address. Nice to use when on a trip and looking at how far we need to travel before finding hotel or fuel.

http://www.androidauthority.com/best-gp ... id-357870/

Most often I use Google maps off the phone but this has let me down a couple of times when my cell/Sat signal is weak. Next mission is to integrate this into a vehicle tracker but unsure how I can do this as will require cell connection via SIM card. Looks like the program I choose for navigation will work for tracking.

http://thedroidguy.com/2016/09/5-best-g ... id-1064062

Does anyone know about a device which will pipe cell data into a USB input? Maybe I'll have to invest into a cheap droid phone but not really sure how this can be fully integrated into my HU especially when phone will stay on continuesally but be charged through HU when driving..
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

I have another request from any of you Droid software buffs who may be trolling this thread.Does anyone know a simple way to install a splash screen on an Android 5.1 Head Unit?

As shown in earlier posts I have Shadow Dash running on my HU and it looks and works great. It would be nice to have the initial start up screen a little more personal than simply a warning message telling me not to drive while watching movies or the typical android figure. Want to start with something simple like "Toyota MR2- Run by Megasquirt". Eventually, I'd like a little graphics running like the Toyota symbol included and maybe spins in sequence with MS or a turbo spooling up.

I've done a fair amount of googling and I get quite lost in the code as I generally use an iPhone which doesn't allow any personal configuration. Looking for an app which will do this for me but all the links have come up with more questions than answers (Cordova seems the most promising).

http://blog.ionic.io/automating-icons-a ... h-screens/

So I'm appealing to the wider community for help with this fun project. Go easy on me as I'm just a beginner but enjoy tinkering with this provided I have a little guidance. And yes, this is only for a little bit of WOW factor and learn something along the way.

jim
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

GDII
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Does this help? No idea what software you are running.

Then if you are able to find where the images are kept you could load your own image.

In addition here is to change the animaton
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Perfect, will give it a shot as its just what I want to do. Thanks for that and I'll post up a pic when I get working. Might have a play with aninmation once I get rid of warning messages.
Running a Android 5.1.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Looks like I got the first part to work in boot up but the warning message come in right after. Need to figure how to replace with animation as per clip above.
Attachments
IMG_3452.JPG
IMG_3451.JPG
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Benckj wrote:I'd attach pics but iPhone won't let me. Looks like I have to do the hard way.
I thought viewing the forum on a phone was the hard way :P .
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

It is but that is all I use at home now.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

GDII
First name: Phill

Post by GDII »

Benckj wrote:It is but that is all I use at home now.
Must be able to view it in your car now? :mrgreen:
I upload all my photos to photobucket then just copy and paste the link. Sure it's one more step but yo can do it on mobile easy. You need to get an Android phone. iphails are as you pointed out hard to do anything custom or even not custom with.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

I can do the photobucket thing but is a real hassle. I'm not really an iPhone fan but as its supplied and paid for by work and the rest of my family use I get by with it. One thing they are really good at is interconnection between other iphones so its handy when kids are traveling overseas.

I inserted the pics I took last night even if a little blurry. For some reason when I drag and drop it rotates them. Had this problem before so I did it the long way by adding attachments however this time it didn't work.

Anyway I have some work to follow the instructions and try to replace the Droid warning message with something else. Will be a good weekend job where I can sit in car with a few beers, listen to music and play with the new toy.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car