Steering Wheel Controls

Sound and electronic gear in your MR2

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning in-car electronics. Stereos, alarms, GPS etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Steering Wheel Controls

Post by Benckj »

Anyone use steering wheel controls to connect with an aftermarket head unit?
New HU I bought doesn't have hot buttons to the music control so I'm finding myself jumping out of the gauge program I have running to skip songs. Didn't buy a remote control so looking at something like this to interface.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kroak-U ... st=ae803_1
Attachments
Kroak-Universal-Wireless-Car-Steering-Wheel-Button-DVD-GPS-Remote-Control-For-Stereo-DVD-GPS.jpg
Kroak-Universal-Wireless-Car-Steering-Wheel-Button-DVD-GPS-Remote-Control-For-Stereo-DVD-GPS.jpg (131.02 KiB) Viewed 4766 times
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Al

Re: Steering Wheel Controls

Post by Alsw20 »

Fit a later model Toyota steering wheel with controls then get a patch cable to the head unit?

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

I don't really want to mess with the air bag and besides my original gen5 wheel is rather nice.

Bought a smaller single IR controller which can be programmed. Unsure if it will work but will give a try.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

Looks like a good in between way of having steering wheel controls and keeping an old steering wheel. And the batteries only use from 1 to 2 years!
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

That was my thought especially since the new HU has an input for these controls. Not convinced I'd like them on steering wheel so was interested in comment. Might be a bit clunky as not really integrated into wheel like an OEM. The one I've ordered is smaller and can use away from wheel if I like. Not sure if it will work so will wait until I receive and test. The one shown above is only $22USD delivered so may give it a go all the same although would be better if I had some Android control functions. This is pic of home & droid screen.
Attachments
IMG_3547.JPG
IMG_3550.JPG
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car