Wiring diagram specific to a Gen 2 1993 SW GT?

Sound and electronic gear in your MR2

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning in-car electronics. Stereos, alarms, GPS etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
War1ock
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Mark

Wiring diagram specific to a Gen 2 1993 SW GT?

Post by War1ock »

Hi all,

Anyone got one of these?

There are so many variations I have wires that do not match to a lot of the car. It looks like a dogs breakfast in the cockpit. There is a complete harness just laying there not connected to anything. One of the previous owners of the vehicle decided to use electrical "Tag blocks" to install the sound system. Left wires exposed and it just looks terrible. There was a turbo timer installed as well which I have chopped out, however I want to replace it with a new Apexi turbo timer that I have, however the old one never worked so I do not know if this ever worked. I just want to wire it up properly. There is a thick blue with a red stripe cable that has been completely cut from the connector block and soldered together.

I just want to make this right. :)

GDII
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
First name: Phill

Re: Wiring diagram specific to a Gen 2 1993 SW GT?

Post by GDII »

There is no know JDM wiring diagrams for specific years available online. The best we have to work with is the 1991 USDM diagram that covers 89-93 JDM cars. However not all of it is the same and you can only find this out by looking at the diagram and the wiring and deciding what matches and what does not. Unfortunately this diagram is in black and white but does have colour codes for wires.
1990 SW20 MR2 G-Limited (GEN4 3SGTE Installed)
2000 AE111R Corolla Wagon NZ New Daily
1996 AE101R Corolla Sprint NZ New Selling Soon
1990 EP81 Starlet XL (Sold)
1990 EE90 Corolla XL (Sold)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sw20glimited/

War1ock
Guest of the Club.

Post by War1ock »

GDII wrote:There is no know JDM wiring diagrams for specific years available online. The best we have to work with is the 1991 USDM diagram that covers 89-93 JDM cars. However not all of it is the same and you can only find this out by looking at the diagram and the wiring and deciding what matches and what does not. Unfortunately this diagram is in black and white but does have colour codes for wires.
Yeah, I spent two days going over that with a fine tooth comb, there are still a couple of things that are in place that I do not know where they go. Like for argument sake installing a new head unit as well as speakers through out the car. Where are all the contact points. This car has been butchered unfortunately and I want to clean it up.

Thanks GDII, as always really appreciate your guys help and advice ;)

GDII

Post by GDII »

For the aftermarket head unit and speakers, you are best to completely disregard the factory system and install new power, ground and speaker wires as a stand alone system. The factory wiring and amps is really odd and with some tiny wires there is no point trying to reuse them.

As far as I know on my car the power for the head unit comes from the amp in behind the passenger door then weak signals sent back from the head unit to the amps then amplified signals are sent to the speakers and the woofer has it's own amp. Just messy.

The other wires, hard to figure out without seeing the car. I don't know much about the wiring under the dashboard, I've never ventured that far before.

War1ock
Guest of the Club.

Post by War1ock »

GDII wrote:For the aftermarket head unit and speakers, you are best to completely disregard the factory system and install new power, ground and speaker wires as a stand alone system. The factory wiring and amps is really odd and with some tiny wires there is no point trying to reuse them.
Good idea, was going down that route. :) You just gave me confirmation. Also want to remove all old wires through to the doors and other wires as I beleive there might be something more sinister going on as my central locking is not working and suspect a couple of broken wires.

Will get there in the end :) Only taken me 7 years so far :)

GDII

Post by GDII »

Yeah best do that with the stereo.

Door looms break in the rubber bellow between the car and door. This http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php? ... re#p131749

Or the little switch in the door lock itself is broken. Mine was. I may have posted about that somewhere.

War1ock
Guest of the Club.

Post by War1ock »

I will work through this very carefully.

I have the same issue. The doors lock but do not unlock so I think there are a number of wires broken. It is only on the drivers side though. I will trace all these wires and actually replace pin and wire for each. I think JCAR is about to become my new best friend :)

GDII

Post by GDII »

Grab the wiring diagram for the 1993 USDM car and then test all the wires with the door card off and the plugs undone at the lock and the kick panel.

War1ock
Guest of the Club.

Post by War1ock »

GDII wrote:Grab the wiring diagram for the 1993 USDM car and then test all the wires with the door card off and the plugs undone at the lock and the kick panel.
That makes sense :) thanks mate :D