Standard GT Amplifiers

Sound and electronic gear in your MR2

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning in-car electronics. Stereos, alarms, GPS etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
War1ock
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Waikato
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Mark

Standard GT Amplifiers

Post by War1ock »

Hi guys, on the hunt for some information if possible.

I am updating the sound in the car as well. Does anyone know what the Watt rating is of the original Toyota (Panasonic) amplifiers and how they would work? I have noticed that all the original speakers run through both the power amplifier as well as the woofer amplifier I am thinking of linking these through my JVC head unit which is a KD-R862BTU unit then the sub though the final amp listed below. I have read on the forum that they would make the sound very tinny, however my head unit is only capable of 50 watt per channel. Is it worth using the original amplifiers?

Also when I pulled the speakers out the doors I noticed the watt rating was 20 Watt's the "rear" speakers were rated at 1 Watt and the sub is/was a 5" also rated at 20 Watt (The whole thing has fallen apart)

Replacing with:
JVC CS-DR600C splits in the doors rated from 2-60 Watt
JVC CS-DR420 rated at 35 Watt

Some where along the line I will be adding a 10" sub since JVC do not do a 10" I am looking at kicker, Infinity and or fusion. I have had some help from MAD sounds in Hamilton about the selection and have also taken the design of the box listed on this forum and will have it made up with a potential twist if possible to port the 10", however that is still under debate :)

I do have a JVC 800 Watt amplifier model KS-DR3001D that I will only use for the sub as it is only a mono sub amplifer and has only one channel.

I am using all supplied speaker wire and soldered connections as well as replacing the old antennae with a bee sting on the roof (personal preference).