aw11 audio setup

Sound and electronic gear in your MR2

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning in-car electronics. Stereos, alarms, GPS etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
KrayzieAW
Guest of the Club.

aw11 audio setup

Post by KrayzieAW »

ok audio setup in an aw11...
whats been done and how well does it work??
i need ideas... and theres not much space in an aw11 for a hell of a lot...
so what wud you guys recommend?
pretty much after a good quality sound... with a bit of bass...
if your car has more seats than cylinders then theres something seriously wrong!

91 G Ltd [DVSMR2] - firing on all 6 since easter 07 :D

MR2boy

Post by MR2boy »

components in the doors and couple of 8" subs behind the seats and an amp to drive it

the aw is never gonna be a good car for massive sounds, that will give some nice sound

newmr2owner

Post by newmr2owner »

try replacing the outdated speakers in the dash with some newer, better sounding ones, also I'm about to add some 8" subs behind the seats in the floorboard. The glove compartment is a very good place to hide an amp, and if you get fiberglass boxes you should be able to house 10s

lvn_mr2
Guest of the Club.

Post by lvn_mr2 »

well my old set-up that some GF blew up was:

sony cd HU, Sony Amp under pass seat, 8" Rockford Fosgate Sub behind each seat, 6x9's facing forward under seats and 4" in dash.

I've started on my new set-up and will hopefully have half complete on thursday will consist of:
Sony CD HU, Two Amps in Boot (one sony not sure on the other yet) 2 New 8" subs behind the seats, 6x9's moulded with the subs but in their own enclosure, 4's in the dash and 6.5" in kick pods and tweeters in the C-pillar trim. Then im going to play with a couple of neons hard wired to the stereo and install a LCD display. Just finished my amp tray and will post pics when the install is complete.

the old set-up was great when it was new, the rockfords gave some massive bass and the feeling on your back on long trips was great! only one small amp driving them was my down side. the 4's didnt fit thedash properly so that was an eyesore without the covers on, the 6x9's were quiet as my RCA was running off the rear channel and drained the sound from them so amps all round next time. The sounds was realy good but i think the new set-up will well and truely out perform the old one. Previousley i had a 10" cerwin vega in a massive box behind the pass seat and ran about 175 watts through it....massive sound and kick arse vibes.....but i like the clean hidden 8's which im sure i can get decent bass from with a good brand like Fusion or Rockfords again. For an expreiment im going cheap with supercheap 8's for $35...want to see how long until they pack it in, only going to run 200 watts each throught a supercheap $99 amp, then i'll put my sony gear back in, just playing to see what we can get away with.

i used a fiberglass box for a while but i prefer the sound from wooden boxes just my opinion. Anyone else done anything? my mate has a mag from 99/2000 that has a mean stereo install in a mk1 so when i grab it tomorow ill scan it and post it up for other to look at.
1989 Maroon Super Edition : Waking soon to SCARE everybody :x

no_8wire

Post by no_8wire »

have you got that mag yet?

MR2SIK
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Sean

Post by MR2SIK »

is that the one that had 2 12' subs in the front luggage compartment, i tried that wen i got my car, doesnt sound that great inside the cabin, good if you want to attract attention within a 2km radius outside, but sounds like poo inside :(
1990 MR2 GT
133rwkW @14psi (ct26)
178rwKw @17.5psi (ct20b)
217rwkW@16psi (ct20b+gen3)
12.9@110mph-old setup..

cogent

Post by cogent »

this weekend im installing two 12's behind the seats and a 1200W amp, i currently have 2 sony 4-ways in the doors in custom boxes and a 4x52W sony mp3 headunit.

once the subs and amp are in place i will be putting 2 ways in the in-dash mounts and two tweeters at the top of the center console, hopefully it should sound pretty nice by the end of it and increase the cars value a little :D

no_8wire

Post by no_8wire »

how did the install work out?

Spinner
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Steve

Post by Spinner »

So what's the largest speakers that will fit to replace the AW11 dash speakers? 4 inch or 5 inch?

Spinner
Some people are like slinkies - they serve no real purpose in life but they always bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Half a bubble off plumb

Mr Demon

Post by Mr Demon »

how did the installs work out?

Dennis th'Menace
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Outside of New Zealand
First name: Dennis

Post by Dennis th'Menace »

Just a thought, and I'm hoping one of the audio experts out there can offer an opinion...

As anyone thought about removing the console mounted on the rear firewall, and fitting a ported sub box there?
Dennis Neagle
President, MR2 Owners Club, Qld

"There is a fine line between Hobby and Obsession"

Blackrazor

Post by Blackrazor »

I've thought about it, and its fairly easy to do. The only downside is that ports used in small boxes are very hard to tune low : a low tuned port in a small box has to be very narrow, and any port that a small outlet area is prone to 'chuffing' noises.... now i dont know about you, but having a vacuum cleaner of a port going hard 6" from my head would piss me right off ;)

One option i did think of is using a passive radiator system. PR's use 'fake subs' : the passive radiators look like extra speakers, but are only cone and suspension, no magnet. They function the same as a port with a few differences : firstly, you tune them by adding weight to them rather than by changing the port length, and secondly, its a lot easier to tune them well in a small box because they dont take up box area, and they dont need to be small :)

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/prd/

Dennis th'Menace
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Outside of New Zealand
First name: Dennis

Post by Dennis th'Menace »

Ah, I think I know what you were talking about. I'm still a little glazed after wading through the calculations on the link :shock:

Maybe I'll give it a go, and report back.

flying_wedge
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Mark

Post by flying_wedge »

Now I might be a bit belated in posting to this thread . . . but you'll get over it.

I was wondering (for someone who has done it) what the largest size subwoofer is that can fit behind the seats in an AW11. Now, I am a bean pole at 6' 3", and have my seat the full way back and at full recline (that is if you can call all 10 degrees "recline" :wink: ).

I am all for a challange in fitting big speakers in small places, as my 6 x 9's in the doors of my AW11 will testify to.

Any ideas?

Joel
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Joel

Post by Joel »

Dennis th'Menace wrote:Just a thought, and I'm hoping one of the audio experts out there can offer an opinion...

As anyone thought about removing the console mounted on the rear firewall, and fitting a ported sub box there?
Ive removed that centre console and installed a box with 2 6inch 200W Alpine Type S speakers stacked vertically, fits like a glove in between the seats, not sure how well a sub would fit?