Air Con

Sound and electronic gear in your MR2

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning in-car electronics. Stereos, alarms, GPS etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Powder
Guest of the Club.

Air Con

Post by Powder »

Hi guyz, my air conditioning wont work..both the heater and cooler..

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

echo

Post by echo »

That's a bit vague. Does the fan work, but it won't get hot or cold? or does the air temp change, but the air isn't being blown into the cabin? (ie fan failure).

You need to describe the problem a little better.

Angus
Guest of the Club.

Post by Angus »

i flicked my ac on recently to see if it still worked, and no cold came forth

my question:

is it worth the weight saving to rip it out completely ? i understand its a pretty heavy setup

i never used it when it worked anyway, just worried about resale, but then again i hope there never will be a resale

anyone ditched theirs ?

kim0663
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Joon

Post by kim0663 »

be pretty hard to find a mr2 with working a/c these days. If it's broke, id rip it out 8)

im so glad when i checked mine last week, it still works ! so need it in summer traffic....
You Joon Kim
1992 Mr2 GT-S

Timmp
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Tim

Post by Timmp »

especially in a black hard top! haha

Mine still blows cold too :)
Tim Barnes- 1992 Sw20 GT-S

Technology is the only substitute for cubic inches

Monkey Boy
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Marlborough
First name: Tristan

Post by Monkey Boy »

is it worth the weight saving to rip it out completely ? i understand its a pretty heavy setup

i never used it when it worked anyway, just worried about resale, but then again i hope there never will be a resale

anyone ditched theirs ?[quote]

ive all my ac out (radiator, pump, piping) and i have no regrets for doing it. the normal heater still works but to me the ac was just extra weight on the car and lots of it, the pump alone weighs about 10-15kg!

soven
Guest of the Club.

Post by soven »

Heater doesnt work?

Sound like your heatercore is bypassed by the previous owner. Check the coolant hoses. It is probably bypassed in the engine bay.

Main reason is they leak. In order to repair heatercore, you will need to remove whole interior including dash. I know cause I repaired mine :x

As for aircon, it probably ran out of gas since it will be running on R12. Get it converted to R134.
1987 Supercharged AW11

Dennis th'Menace
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Outside of New Zealand
First name: Dennis

Post by Dennis th'Menace »

soven wrote:Heater doesnt work?

Sound like your heatercore is bypassed by the previous owner. Check the coolant hoses. It is probably bypassed in the engine bay.

More likely to be bypassed in the "frunk". Much closer to the heater hoses, and easier access.
Dennis Neagle
President, MR2 Owners Club, Qld

"There is a fine line between Hobby and Obsession"

Perfectsynergy
Guest of the Club.
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Adam

Re: Air Con

Post by Perfectsynergy »

How much would it cost to convert the aircon to the modern gas system?

Ollie
Guest of the Club.
First name: Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I negotiated for a $300 cashie to get my car done a couple of weeks ago (93 Nissan Sentra). They replaced all the seals and o-rings, the filter/drier, the oiler, drained cleaned and vacuumed the whole system and regassed it. This was after they had checked to see what was wrong with the system in the first place (leaking o-rings = no gas in my case). Standard price was $350 + GST

From talking with the guy there, there are a few risks you have to take when getting an old system going again - the TX? valve can get blocked when they start the system again (around 250 to replace) or the compressor itself can be shot ($$$, though I imagine they check this in the first stage). I went to the place I did because they said it was local, $50 to quote on what was wrong, and if you got it repaired with them the check was free.

Pretty cheap fix to get some summer comfort I thought.

EssDub
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Outside of New Zealand
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Graham

Post by EssDub »

Summer comfort? Pfft. Harden up.

Wind down the window and go for a cane :twisted:
---------------------------------------
'92 Red Gen 2 GT-S - Getting there... - 168.2kW@ 6500RPM (1bar CT20b)
'90 Red Gen 1 G-Limited (Minter for the missus :) ) - Gen3 3S-GE powered and goin' strong :D
'xx Gen x SW20...Watch this space...
'02 CL9 Honda Accord Euro Touring (K24A4)
---------------------------------------

Tronic
Guest of the Club.
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Carl

Post by Tronic »

Wasted a total of $700 trying to get mine going.The A/C on the SW20 just has too many long pipes and oring seals and it's now all too old and needs a complete rebuild. It would cost more than many of the cars are now worth to get it done properly.

Aim it at the bin !

I pulled the A/C compressor out, it weighs like 10Kg on it's own. Makes the car way easier to work on anything in this area like the IC, Turbo, Thermostat and improves the airflow in the engine bay.

The A/C radiator in the front can be used for a water/air intercooler instead.

Living in Auckland I can't say I miss it.
Carl
Electronics Technician.
1990 Gen II GT Ceramic CT26 Hybrid @ 15psi
170.5 kW @ 6429 RPM 288.7 Nm @ 5430RPM
Gary Capper Performance - "Dynamic Test Systems" Precision Dynamometer

Ollie
Guest of the Club.
First name: Ollie

Post by Ollie »

foggy windows are just a pain
This. Agree about the windows in summer, can't stand having to blow air at the windscreen all the time to clear it up. Turn on the aircon and bang, the fog is gone.

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Before you start spending mega bucks to repair or rip out to shed some weight give Toyota a call and have them run your VIN number to see if it had the defect repaired. There is a current recall on the expansion valve (as well as the steering wheel) and generally Toyota will negotiate a deal to upgrade the gas to 134a. Plenty of info on this if you search the forums.

I'm one of the lucky ones with two R134 systmes which work perfectly. Would much rarther pull the T-tops off instead so hardly ever switch on (except in winter to de-fog).
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Boosted
Guest of the Club.
First name: Craig

Post by Boosted »

I never used my aircon in the SW20, and ended up being removed to fit the bigger turbo. But the other day i was sitting in humid heat and auckland traffic in my GTR, and turning on the aircon was great. Having a car that doesnt slow down when the aircon is on (aka the swift) is awesome :D

So basically im saying dont go to the effort of removing it, and it you can get it working again its a good idea.
Current: BCNR33 Skyline GTR