Easy solution for SW20 N/F CD

Sound and electronic gear in your MR2

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning in-car electronics. Stereos, alarms, GPS etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
quick6
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Timothy

Easy solution for SW20 N/F CD

Post by quick6 »

Just thought I would pass on how I was able to get the factory speaker setup working well in my GTS with minimum hassle. The CD player was dead but the factory speakers where all still A1, a nice sound actually with dual factory subs etc. I used a Pioneer head unit with direct sub drive ( http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/25/12 ... Drive.html ) doing away with the small speakers to the rear of the seat. I ran new wiring from the rear outputs to the factory subs (and removed factory L and R amps, anybody want 'em?) and hooked up the front through factory wires. It sounds great and no need for a separate amp, the head unit has plenty of power for the little subs (no trouble with 2ohm either) and provides full control for level, phase and crossover frequency. I also replaced the door speakers with pioneer components in factory spots. I don't think a simpler solution can be found, and the sound is more than ample in the little cab.

Tronic
Guest of the Club.
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Carl

Re: Easy solution for SW20 N/F CD

Post by Tronic »

Made an interface box myself for a Pioneer head unit. This just takes the standard line outs of any head unit and feeds it into the stock tape/preamp via the Factory CD input. Still have the stock amps and all the speakers except the sub that had to be replaced with another as all of the stock subs are now stuffed. Sounds great. The stock setup is good if it is all working as it was new out of the factory.
Carl
Electronics Technician.
1990 Gen II GT Ceramic CT26 Hybrid @ 15psi
170.5 kW @ 6429 RPM 288.7 Nm @ 5430RPM
Gary Capper Performance - "Dynamic Test Systems" Precision Dynamometer