Gen 6 FCD + Extra's for the SW20 Turbo

Sound and electronic gear in your MR2

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning in-car electronics. Stereos, alarms, GPS etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
iOnic
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Chris

Re: Gen 6 FCD + Extra's for the SW20 Turbo

Post by iOnic »

Tronic wrote: Sorry I will always maintain the Turbo Pressure sensor does more than just drive the crappy stock boost guage and to derive the point of fuel cut because of the characteristics of the output signal from it.
What else could it possibly do?
SW20 GT-S - 5SGTE
Corolla - 4AGE Redtop Smallport

Tronic
Guest of the Club.
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Carl

Post by Tronic »

As above, it's your car you do what you want with it.

The Turbo will also run on cheap $20 4 lire oil packs, 91 Octane fuel and a rubbish Pod filter or even no filter at all, as well as just pulling the vac hose from the turbo pressure sensor to get the fuel cut.

it's your choice.
Carl
Electronics Technician.
1990 Gen II GT Ceramic CT26 Hybrid @ 15psi
170.5 kW @ 6429 RPM 288.7 Nm @ 5430RPM
Gary Capper Performance - "Dynamic Test Systems" Precision Dynamometer

iOnic
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Manawatu
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Chris

Post by iOnic »

It was a serious question. I actually want to know what else it does. Obviously you've done a lot of research into this to build a product that replicates the nature of the MAP sensor's output voltage so there must be a really good reason why you did that and I'm genuinely interested in knowing that reason.

If the MAP sensor does in fact serve an important purpose other than controlling a useless boost gauge and determining the fuel cut off point (that we're trying to get rid of) I think that would be good info to have for people that just go ahead and disable the MAP sensor.
SW20 GT-S - 5SGTE
Corolla - 4AGE Redtop Smallport

Tronic
Guest of the Club.
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Carl

Post by Tronic »

A quick bit of research throws up both HKS and Greddy making FCD's.

So really to me there was never the question of whether I should use one or not, only to build a better one with a few extra functions specific to the MR2 that had showed up as areas of obvious weakness during road testing.It was perhaps a bit unfortunate I didn't road test the requirement for the fpr switch, but then again its just opening a circuit at 10psi thats already open at 1-2psi so no harm done and its no longer required as part of the FCD function.

I found the following artical quite interesting reading. Read the second paragraph if nothing else.

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/bcc/wh ... dy_BCC.htm

Maybe it's just me that's giving some credit to the likes of HKS and Greddy that a FCD makes sense. One would generally come to the conclusion that they already did the required research.

Bottom line is that in fitting one you can be 100% certain your not stuffing up any other parameters in the engine that could be derived from this signal so the decision to fit one was easy.
Carl
Electronics Technician.
1990 Gen II GT Ceramic CT26 Hybrid @ 15psi
170.5 kW @ 6429 RPM 288.7 Nm @ 5430RPM
Gary Capper Performance - "Dynamic Test Systems" Precision Dynamometer