kicker 10" slim sub box + extras

Sound and electronic gear in your MR2

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning in-car electronics. Stereos, alarms, GPS etc. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
ChrisNZ
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Chris

kicker 10" slim sub box + extras

Post by ChrisNZ »

hi guys, my first post here

looking to upgrade the sound system for my 1990 sw20.

so far i have purchased fusion 6x9s, a new head unit with aux, something the jvc charmeleon deck is missing now in the car, i have also purchased a 5 channel fusion amp, im still looking to buy a suitable sub and am tossing up between buying a 400 rms kicker 10" boxed sub that is made for utes so will fit nicely behind the passenger seat with no seat blocking, or building my own custom boxes to hold a sub and 6x9 behind passenger seat and the amp and 6x9 behind driver. which would be better cost wise and sound wise?

can anyone reccomend another place to mount the 6x9s and an installer who knows mr2?

thanks guys

Alsw20
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Al

Re: kicker 10" slim sub box + extras

Post by Alsw20 »

IMO take the 6x9s back. You don't need them with a sub. A good pair of mids in the doors, and tweeter in the factory spot and a single 8" or 10" is ample in an MR2.

6x9s are for kids that can't afford a sub and amp package.
1992 G Limited

Saut de Chat
Guest of the Club.
First name: Anthony

Post by Saut de Chat »

Along the lines of sub boxes, to make oodles of room for some and still have the space for Your t's, can those box things behind the seat be removed?

ChrisNZ
Guest of the Club.

Post by ChrisNZ »

the box behind the passenger will be built down into the little area where i assume the factory sub was, the drivers one will sit on top, they will be removeable.

the speakers behind the seats, near the seat belt mounts are what size?is it easy to replace them?

thanks for your help

Saut de Chat
Guest of the Club.
First name: Anthony

Post by Saut de Chat »

Sorry. I was referring to the boxes that are there standard, not the ones You are creating.

ChrisNZ
Guest of the Club.

Post by ChrisNZ »

oh right,

i suppose you could cut them out as ive seen on other sub installs but the one im making will fit down into the top of the compartment

thanks

Solitaire
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: David

Post by Solitaire »

you really want to make a custom box that will fit behind the seat and allow you to recline if you want to, I'd recomend a high quality 8" with a set of components, will be more than enough bass for you dude, its a tiny cabin :D