12V power source for driving lights?

An area for technical topics concerning AW10's and AW11's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning AW10's and AW11's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Re: 12V power source for driving lights?

Post by mickeyduck »

Right then, a wee update that might prove useful to others.

Stopped in at an auto electrician's on the way home tonight. He suggested a dead simple way to wire up DRLs.

Very similar to Kris' (aka Statek) suggestion earlier actually.

Find a wire that provides power when the ignition is on (preferably not when on Acc unless you like being parked up at night with DRLs on as well as the radio). That's what the black "Con Fan" wire I'm using does.

Hook that directly to the DRL's positive side to provide them with power.

Then take the negative side of the DRLs and hook that up to the power wire for the headlights. On my 89 AW11 SC it's white and red.

No relay needed. No diode either. When the ignition is on but the headlights are off, power flows from the "Con Fan" wire through the DRLs and finds earth through the headlight circuit. But when the headlights are switched on, that earth is no longer an earth so the DRLs turn off. Simple.

Sparky told me they do all DRLs that way. No need for a relay as the current draw is b.a. eh.

So I went home and tried it and yep sure as eggs it works perfectly. Simple. Nice. :mrgreen:
DSCF7098.JPG
DSCF7094.JPG
DSCF7095.JPG
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: 12V power source for driving lights?

Post by Benckj »

Interesting, wouldn’t have thought of that solution.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods