12V power source for driving lights?

An area for technical topics concerning AW10's and AW11's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning AW10's and AW11's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Credible
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: david

12V power source for driving lights?

Post by Credible »

I've mounted a pair of 5W LED driving lights. Now to supply power to them.

Ideally, I'd like to tap into a wire that is "downstream" of the ignition switch, so that I cannot possibly leave them turned on. (I have an on/off switch for them.)

Any clues where I can find such a wire?

Handy hint: when fitting driving lights, mount the passenger side one first. Otherwise, you might discover that the tow hook interferes with the spot where your light needs to go to match the driver's side one! :oops:
David White
1989 AW11 SC manual t'top [sold]
2012 Toyota 1.6 NA mid-engine with a UK bodykit [Lotus Elise]

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Re: 12V power source for driving lights?

Post by Benckj »

I installed DRL on both my MR's tapping into the frunk fuse box acc circuit. Its not ideal as legally they need to turn off when headlights are ON. Going to mod this over x-mas.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Redmist
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: John

Post by Redmist »

Fit a relay into the driving light circuit that has normally closed contacts for load. Then actuate the relay from the both the high and low beam feeds via diodes from each. That way when then the head lights are turned on the driving lights go out and there is no cross feeds between driving lights and high/low beam circuits.

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Good idea on diodes and cross feed. That was the part i was concerned bout.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Credible
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Credible »

Ok, I understand the objective. But to make this happen, I'll need some form of diagram.

My Vitz RS has round lights that can be used with or without the headlights on. Why is this allowed?
David White

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

TBH I'm not exactly sure about the legals surrounding DRL's. Whem I got my last WOF the mechanic said I could get pulled up by police at night if they saw the lights on along with headlamps. On cars which come with them from factory they turn off but this may be because of overseas road laws.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

born disturbed
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Jared

Post by born disturbed »

While DRLs are not legally able to be run with your main lamps at night Hella have just released a new relay which allows the use of these by dimming the DRL into a Front Position Marker Lamp.

When turned on by themselves they are at full brightness for day time running, but turn on your head lights & they dim to create a very nice marker, which in turn makes them twice as useful.

http://www.hella.co.nz/4-235/news/LED-Safety-DayLights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;™-Front-Position-Relay

Maybe worth a look if you want to get the most from your nice new lamp setup :)

*** EDIT / UPDATE FOR THE BENEFIT OF ANYONE WANTING TO DO THIS ***

The link above has died but Hella's listing of this relay as of today 6 August 2016 is here:
https://www.hella.co.nz/en/products/rel ... oller.html

Dual Function Safety DayLights™ Controller - 12 Volt
PART NO: 9.5630.03

*** END OF EDIT - CHARLIE aka mickeyduck, site admin. ***

Grrrrrrr!
Guest of the Club.
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Lee

Post by Grrrrrrr! »

Technically the WOF inspector shouldn't have given you a WOF, but to be honest, I really dont think most cops would give it a second look unless they were already looking for a reason to give you a ticket/drama.

http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/v ... ning-lamps

Credible
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Credible »

Grrrrrrr! wrote:Technically the WOF inspector shouldn't have given you a WOF, but to be honest, I really dont think most cops would give it a second look unless they were already looking for a reason to give you a ticket/drama.

http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/v ... ning-lamps
This helps to clarify things. This is why Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) are ok on my Vitz:

A vehicle originally manufactured with a daytime running lamp arrangement that differs from what is required or permitted in this section may retain the original daytime running lamps provided they remain fitted in their original position and perform as intended by the vehicle manufacturer.

And this is why I need the smart bit of wiring:

A car will fail a WoF if... A daytime running lamp continues to operate when the headlamps or fog lamps are switched on.

(I haven't been for a WoF since fitting the lights. They are not powered yet, anyway.)
David White

Credible
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Credible »

Redmist wrote:Fit a relay into the driving light circuit that has normally closed contacts for load. Then actuate the relay from the both the high and low beam feeds via diodes from each. That way when then the head lights are turned on the driving lights go out and there is no cross feeds between driving lights and high/low beam circuits.
Would some kind person who understands this please explain it a little more verbosely as to how you actually accomplish this in practice?
David White

Ken & Barbie
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Waikato
First name: Ken

Post by Ken & Barbie »

I have wired my Hella DRLs using the existing driving light wiring/switch.Wiring connection was waiting at each park/flasher
lamp at front.DRLs will only work when parklamps are turned on,but buzzer reminds to turn lights off when key turned off.
Done both cars this way,will stay on when headlights are switched on,but can be turned off with driving/fog switch.
Have been thru VTNZ many times with both cars and had no comment!

Ken & Barbara Brown

Credible
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Credible »

Thanks to fevil for filling in the gaps in my rather limited understanding.

I used a normally-closed relay on the power feed to my LEDs. Then I tapped the headlight power wire (Red/White wire into headlight relay), fed it through a diode and fuse to the signal-side of my normally-closed relay, and the other side to earth.

It works precisely as it should. Confirmation soon as it's due for a WoF shortly.

Thanks, people.

David White

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

Can I have a look some time David? I have exactly the same problem. I'd like to take some photos of your setup if possible to help clarify exactly what's what and how to do this if that's ok with you mate?
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Credible
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Credible »

mickeyduck wrote:Can I have a look some time David? I have exactly the same problem. I'd like to take some photos of your setup if possible to help clarify exactly what's what and how to do this if that's ok with you mate?
Sure. I'll also try to draw up my wiring diagram and post it here, too. (Actually, it's my interpretation of John's explanation of how to do it.)
David White

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

That would be good to see as I need to rewire and replace mine sometime soon. They supplied blue lights instaed of white but sent me another set. The ones on my GT are much whiter & brighter.
Attachments
Image1036.jpg
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car