12V power source for driving lights?

An area for technical topics concerning AW10's and AW11's

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is dedicated to technical discussions concerning AW10's and AW11's. Please try to spell correctly because this will help people find information later if they are using search functionality. If you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Credible
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: david

Re: 12V power source for driving lights?

Post by Credible »

Ok, here's a schematic of how I wired my LED lights so that they turn off when I turn the headlights on. (Credit to John, aka fevil, for the guidance.) No problems getting a WoF this week.

The main trick is to find the existing headlight relay (if you pull out the correct one, the headlights will still pop-up when you turn them on, but the lights do not come on). One of the connectors to that relay -- at least on the AW11 -- has a Red/White striped wire. That is the one to tap for a feed to your new normally-closed relay. When a little current is supplied, it opens the normally-closed switch, turning off the daytime running lights (DRLs).

If you have any questions, ask away. (But just because I got mine working, don't assume I'm any sort of auto electrical expert.) And if you're in Auckland and want to laugh at my workmanship, that can be arranged, too. :roll:
David White
1989 AW11 SC manual t'top [sold]
2012 Toyota 1.6 NA mid-engine with a UK bodykit [Lotus Elise]

Benckj
Forum Moderator - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Otago
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Jim

Post by Benckj »

Just a couple of pics I took when I had the camera out showing white DRL's. Still haven't attempted to mod the circuit so they come on with ignition but off when lights are on.

BTW can't see the bottom half of your schematic although I have a fair idea on what it says based from your description.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car
98 rev 5 GT- all the mods

Credible
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Credible »

Nice arrangement, Jim!

If you can see dashboard switch you can see the whole thing.

Another point for others who might read this thread... many of the newer LED driving lights on the market have the law-abiding switching technology built-in. I'd recommend looking for that sort -- it will save you a lot of money and hassles.
David White

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Got it now. Couldn't see switch before but will most likley skip that part and get +12v ign feed directly from frunk fuse box.

Thanks for the help.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Found a relay at work and wired it in as per schematic. Can easliy fit the whole circuit into the frunk fuse box as there is a spare hole on the RHS of board. I simply plugged a one lead into the fan circuit which is live when IGN is on and the other into the LH headlanp for relay operation. Tap is on the dead side of fuse holder so ciruit is protected by existing fuses. Dead simple to do actually but would like to get a smaller relay rather than the 10 pole industrial one I used. Going to order some capacitors for my ECU next week so will search around and see whats available from RS

If anyone else wants to do I can help guide the install. I do notice having the DRL's ON helps with visual identification of the car. Other cars seem to wait rather than trying to cut in. Good saftey measure which in time will be required on all vehicles IMO.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

I bought David's AW recently, and at the time the DRL's had stopped working properly and he hadn't determined why.

I replaced them with some gruntier ones which seemed fine at first... but sure enough they too went funny. As in, one only just lit very faintly, the other not working at all.

Tonight I got to the bottom of the problem - it was the wiring in the cabin for the power feed, where David had used the fog lamp switch that ought to be sending power to the extra connectors on the park lights, when the park lights are on (see Ken's earlier post).

Seeing as the rest of the DRL relay wiring seems sound I decided to use Jim's suggestion and I drew the DRL's power from the condenser fan (secondary fan on radiator) which has power all the time that the ignition is on.

So now the DRLs are always on when the ignition is on, and they turn off the moment you turn on the headlights. Don't even need to remember about the switch in the cabin.

Glad that being a club member I could use search to find this thread and the hand-drawn wiring diagram cos it clarified to me exactly what was going on and how I could fix it. Mint. :mrgreen:
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Nice to see old threads get used this way . Crudity to you Charlie for keeping this forum clicking over in the background which ultimately keeps more MR2's on the road.

My DRL's still work on both cars apart from some blank sections where I hit a bird and obviously broke the internal circuit.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Credible
Life Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Credible »

Now it just needs a photo of your lights on, Charlie. <hint>
David White

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

Thanks Jim. :)

Here you go David. It's raining at the mo which is why you see all the streaks in the pic. But it shows you why you can see 10w LEDs miles off...

If they ever get ruled as too bright I'll just rig up your Hellas as DRL's and wire these in to the original fog lamp circuit.

In fact I might even do that yet just for the heck of it.
DSCF5507.JPG
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Post by Statek »

Just FYI, the way I've always been wiring driving lights is:

+ on ACC
- on the power supply wire to park lights (or position lights, depending what you wish to call them)

What this does is that power is supplied when the key turns to ACC, and while park lights are switched off the circuit is earthed.
Once the park lights are switched on, the park light circuit gets power, and the driving lights no longer have earth so they switch off.
Easy, no relay required. My 2c.
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

Yeah, that's cool. The only downside is that there is an increased chance of back-feeding to other circuits (which is horrible to troubleshoot). I prefer isolating each circuit with a relay so that if something blows up, it doesn't affect other circuits as well.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Statek »

Only the park light circuit is affected, and LEDs don't tend to backfeed. Of course it's best to be sure :)

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

As a follow-up from an earlier thread I've replaced the DRL's in the turbo as they were quite sun damaged and starting to fail from a few bird strikes while driving. Bought a different sealed type which is enclosed in a rubber type sleave. Worked fairly well fitting around the fog lights and impressed with light output.

Link to LEDs bought;
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-x-45c ... 0.0.HZ30rW

I'll monitor over the summer months and see how well they last. Bought 2 sets for something like $9.50/set delivered. Thought I might change the ones on my silver NA but think the white will stick out a bit in contract to surrounding colours.
IMG_3038.JPG
IMG_3037.JPG
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Statek »

I those LEDs around the fog lights! Three thumbs up 8)

Benckj

Post by Benckj »

Thanks for the feedback. Wasn't sure how these would turn out being a low cost Chinese product. I've added a link to site above if anyone else wants to do. Thought it was going to be to long but came out about right at 45cm.
Jim Benck
90 rev 1 parts car